Lightbulb New anti-spam measure

Hi everyone,

This community, like most online ones, is a target for spam bots. You don't like them, we don't like them. Just be thankful you can't see all of the spam the various mods delete.
    To minimise their presence, I'm bringing back a measure that we had on the old forums.

Namely, those who have less than fives posts will have reduces privileges than others. Users who have less than five posts will be unable to have a signature, start new threads or use the private/visitor message systems. Hopefully, this should cut right back on the spambots.

Introducing this measure, however, may cause some short term hiccups. It takes an hour, minimum, for users to be migrated to a new user group (which will happen automatically to all of your accounts). So, if you find that your account suddenly loses some abilities then please wait for an hour just in case the system needs to catch up. If something is still wrong, then please let us know and we'll see to fixing it right up.
    "Let me guess. My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie!"
    @Matt_of_Geek
    Now writing at The Atomic Junk Shop

CBR Community Standards and Rules

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    Hi everyone,

This community, like most online ones, is a target for spam bots. You don't like them, we don't like them. Just be thankful you can't see all of the spam the various mods delete.
    To minimise their presence, I'm bringing back a measure that we had on the old forums.

Namely, those who have less than fives posts will have reduces privileges than others. Users who have less than five posts will be unable to have a signature, start new threads or use the private/visitor message systems. Hopefully, this should cut right back on the spambots.

Introducing this measure, however, may cause some short term hiccups. It takes an hour, minimum, for users to be migrated to a new user group (which will happen automatically to all of your accounts). So, if you find that your account suddenly loses some abilities then please wait for an hour just in case the system needs to catch up. If something is still wrong, then please let us know and we'll see to fixing it right up.
    Anything to get rid of the Spam Bot problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Legato View Post
    Anything to get rid of the Spam Bot problem.
    Agreed.......

The usergroup changes have now been fully activated. If anything weird happens, please let us know so it can be fixed.
    "Let me guess. My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie!"
    @Matt_of_Geek

I cannot send P/Ms. Trying to trade digital codes. What do I need to do to get P/Ms back up and running?

BANNED

I just tried to send JBH3 a PM and got this message.

JBH3 has chosen not to receive private messages or may not be allowed to receive private messages. Therefore you may not send your message to him/her.

Hm. Odd.

The way it works is that when someone registers for the community, they are placed in a usergroup called 'Registered Users'. This usergroup has certain permissions removed, such as no signature or PMs, etc. (Why? Because these are favourite tactics of spambots).
    Upon a user having posted five times, the VBulletin software should automatically promote them to a new usergroup which has the normal user permissions (use PMs, signatures, etc).

What I'm assuming some community members are experiencing is that the VBulletin software is only promoting people after they have logged in - and the change may take anything up to an hour after that.
    Give it some time and we'll see if the kinks work themselves out.

If anyone else has any problems with this, please post them to this thread and I'll have a look.
    @Matt_of_Geek

BANNED

That may be it. I was allowed to send JBH3 a PM now.

That may be because JBH3 was listed as a Registered User for some reason (and therefore stuck with the restrictions), and I switched him over to Verified myself.
    Conn Seanery
    CBR Forums Administrator ~ Ron Swansonite ~ Brock Samson will show us the way
    THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

"Hnh. Could Bowie have been a mutant?" ~Dr. Doom (Hellfire Gala 2022)

Thanks guys. I can now send P/Ms again.

Spam bots are evil, I know I used to run a forum that was overrun with them. It was a pain in the ass.