View Poll Results: How powerful and smart?

Voters
45. You may not vote on this poll
  • Basics superhuman abilities/high end prep feats

12 26.67%
  • Combination of Scientific and Magic Biology and some mystic potential/grows in superhuman abilities

4 8.89%
  • High end Scientist near Tchalla/Stark knowledge / lesser superhuman abilities

8 17.78%
  • Master Street Level polymath/hidden genius potential/superhuman abilities

21 46.67%

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    BANNED

Default How powerful/smart do you want your Peter?

Based on the Superman thread, but more notable thanks to Slott's run(god bless the man for making Peter impressive feat using badass). But based on your preference, how would you identify Spidey's true potential as a hero and as a mark on the marvel pantheon.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by SpideyCeo View Post
    Based on the Superman thread, but more notable thanks to Slott's run(god bless the man for making Peter impressive feat using badass). But based on your preference, how would you identify Spidey's true potential as a hero and as a mark on the marvel pantheon.
    At least smarter than the one Slott has wrote.

Quote Originally Posted by SpideyCeo View Post
    How powerful/smart do you want your Peter?
    As much as he currently is/always has been.

Incredible Member SilverWarriorWolf's Avatar

Personally, I like hyper genius Peter. I know not may people agree with me, but it’s what I like. It plays with the idea that he’s modest enough not to really notice how brilliant he is (egotistical geniuses are way too common.)

Physical power should be middling, though.

I feel like he can be an overall type character like he is now. I mean Captain America is capable of fighting some of the most powerful people in the marvel universe why can't Spiderman?

Quote Originally Posted by Jman27 View Post
    I feel like he can be an overall type character like he is now. I mean Captain America is capable of fighting some of the most powerful people in the marvel universe why can't Spiderman?
    I don't consider that a good thing. It's bad writing.

This is a good topic; I voted for the last choice. Peter is very smart but should not be anywhere near as smart as Stark or Richards; historically----and this is the best take IMO----he should be bright enough to impress them both but not be anywhere near their league. Same for his power set; he should not be able to go toe-to-toe with Gods, Hulks etc. There is a reason why the Juggernaut story from Stern's run and the Firelord story from DeFalco's run a few years later work so well: Peter had to pull out all the stops to find a way to stop them because a straight-up fight wasn't going to do it.

World's Greatest Hero blackspidey2099's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SilverWarriorWolf View Post
    Personally, I like hyper genius Peter. I know not may people agree with me, but it’s what I like. It plays with the idea that he’s modest enough not to really notice how brilliant he is (egotistical geniuses are way too common.)

Physical power should be middling, though.
    Same. I like Peter being the person who underestimates himself a lot, it's one of my favorite traits of the character - and not just regarding intelligence, it's nice that he underestimates his strength as well.And I also like it when his stories have a strong sci-fi angle, so that works well too.

Anyways, I didn't vote on the poll since it wasn't really clear what any of the options meant. But overall I think he should have this level of attributes.

Strength: Around as strong as like Luke Cage, able to lift like maybe a 100 tons when angry, and more when he is pumped on adrenaline (like the Daily Bugle moment). On regular occasions, like maybe around 40 tons level. Basically the same as now, but make it more consistent instead of having him be like Captain America strength in some stories.

Speed: Able to dodge and perceive supersonic/hypersonic moving things with just his senses, and even faster with Spider Sense. Able to run maybe like 100-200mph in short bursts. Around the same, or a bit quicker. But more consistent please!

Durability: Can survive a building blowing up around him, or take one, maybe two, hits from the likes of Hulk. Knife proof, and bullet-resistant (but not bulletproof). Basically the same as now, but making his piercing resistance consistent with everything else.

Intelligence: Not as smart as Reed, Doom, or Hank Pym, but as smart as Tony Stark, Bruce Banner, and T'Challa. Smarter than like Beast or Amadeus Cho. Basically the same as now, but used more often, instead of being ignored for like half the issues, and then being smart for another half. He should always be included any time when smart people are meeting up and it makes sense that they would know his identity.

Extra Abilities: I like night vision and being able to stick anywhere, but no stingers or organic webbing.

Basically, I want him to be very similar in levels to what he is like now, but just to be portrayed more consistently (ie. competently instead of being a fool for half the stories) with those attributes. The only thing I'd increase a bit is his speed. Anyways, the Spider-Man I have in my head has two main attributes - intelligence and speed, so those should be concentrated on for most of the stories.

Quote Originally Posted by blackspidey2099 View Post
    Strength: Around as strong as like Luke Cage, able to lift like maybe a 100 tons when angry, and more when he is pumped on adrenaline (like the Daily Bugle moment). On regular occasions, like maybe around 40 tons level. Basically the same as now, but make it more consistent instead of having him be like Captain America strength in some stories.
    40 tons? Usualy he shows even less than 10 tons, when did he consistently show 40 tons of strength?

Speed: Able to dodge and perceive supersonic/hypersonic moving things with just his senses, and even faster with Spider Sense. Able to run maybe like 100-200mph in short bursts. Around the same, or a bit quicker. But more consistent please!
    Power sets are usualy pretty inconsistent, and speed is like the most inconsistent super power of all, even someone as slow as Spidey (compared to other much faster characters) is gonna be affected by this unfortunately...

Peter should be smart enough to understand Stark technology and Reed's calculations, but not smart enough to come up with that stuff on his own.

World's Greatest Hero blackspidey2099's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lukmendes View Post
    40 tons? Usualy he shows even less than 10 tons, when did he consistently show 40 tons of strength?

Power sets are usualy pretty inconsistent, and speed is like the most inconsistent super power of all, even someone as slow as Spidey (compared to other much faster characters) is gonna be affected by this unfortunately...
    Strength: I can't recall Peter ever being less than 10 tons, that's like the absolute lower limit of his strength. And he has tons of feats like easily lifting tanks, train cars, one-shotting the likes of Tombstone or Mr. Negative, drawing blood and damaging the likes of Iron Man, Namor, Thing, Colossus, etc. He usually has no trouble lifting any sort of vehicles either.

Speed: True, I understand they can't write him consistently or his Spider Sense alone makes him unbeatable...

Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

I like Peter when he was inventing tech and building a powerhouse company. Dan Slott version
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor