View Poll Results: How powerful and smart?

Voters
45. You may not vote on this poll
  • Basics superhuman abilities/high end prep feats

12 26.67%
  • Combination of Scientific and Magic Biology and some mystic potential/grows in superhuman abilities

4 8.89%
  • High end Scientist near Tchalla/Stark knowledge / lesser superhuman abilities

8 17.78%
  • Master Street Level polymath/hidden genius potential/superhuman abilities

21 46.67%
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    Peter should be smart enough to understand Stark technology and Reed's calculations, but not smart enough to come up with that stuff on his own.
    I could roll with this. He shouldn't be on Tony or Reed's level. Every now and again he should create something that Reed and Tony admire. Like his webbing for his web shooters.
    Last edited by Tony Stark; 03-13-2018 at 06:37 AM.
    "We live in a world of cowards. We live in a world full of small minds who are afraid. We are ruled by those who refuse to risk anything of their own. Who guard their over bloated paucities of power with money. With false reasoning. With measured hesitance. With prideful, recalcitrant inaction. With hateful invective. With weapons. F@#K these selfish fools and their prevailing world order." Tony Stark

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Stark View Post
    I could roll with this. He shouldn't be on Tony or Reed's level. Every now and again he should create something that Reed and Tony admire. Like his webbing for his web shooters.
    You act like he doesn't have the potential to build that sort of stuff when he's show he can repair complex machinery and technology to suit his crime fighting needs in the past. I'm sure he can make anything on par with Reed and Stark if off screen he's shown studying lthe knowledge too. Writers have pegged him unlearned but brilliant, not limited. He's been shown coming up with self invented mathmatics that counter wakandan mathematics.

He's tought alternate versions of Tony and Reed for christ sake.
    Last edited by SpideyCeo; 03-13-2018 at 08:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SpideyCeo View Post
    You act like he doesn't have the potential to build that sort of stuff when he's show he can repair complex machinery and technology to suit his crime fighting needs in the past. I'm sure he can make anything on par with Reed and Stark if off screen he's shown studying lthe knowledge too. Writers have pegged him unlearned but brilliant, not limited. He's been shown coming up with self invented mathmatics that counter wakandan mathematics.

I don't think he can consistently do things on Reed or Tony's level. That's not a knock. Reed and Tony are in the top 10 smartest people in the MU. Tony knows that Parker is pretty damn smart as he had mentored Peter, but Peter is not in the top 10 smartest heroes. Again not a knock on Peter. He just isn't.
    Last edited by Tony Stark; 03-13-2018 at 09:37 AM.
    "We live in a world of cowards. We live in a world full of small minds who are afraid. We are ruled by those who refuse to risk anything of their own. Who guard their over bloated paucities of power with money. With false reasoning. With measured hesitance. With prideful, recalcitrant inaction. With hateful invective. With weapons. F@#K these selfish fools and their prevailing world order." Tony Stark

World's Greatest Hero blackspidey2099's Avatar

I don't think he can consistently do things on Reed or Tony's level. That's not a knock. Reed and Tony are in the top 10 smartest people in the MU. Tony knows that Parker is pretty damn smart as he had mentored Peter, but Peter is not in the top 10 smartest heroes. Again not a knock on Peter. He just isn't.
    I mean he pretty clearly is in the top 10 just by how impressive his inventions are... I do agree that Peter isn't as smart as Reed, but he's definitely shown that when he has the resources, he can consistently build things just as well as the likes of Tony and Banner and T'Challa.

Quote Originally Posted by blackspidey2099 View Post
    I mean he pretty clearly is in the top 10 just by how impressive his inventions are... I do agree that Peter isn't as smart as Reed, but he's definitely shown that when he has the resources, he can consistently build things just as well as the likes of Tony and Banner and T'Challa.
    They had a storyline in Hulk were the smartest people were getting kidnapped and they didn't even go after Peter. It was the Intelligencia that was after the smartest heroes. He isn't on Tony, Banner or T'Challa's level. Banner, Tony and T'Challa are in the top 6 smartest people. Peter has done some great things, but he had that one run with Slott writing him. He was basically Tony Stark lite. Tony even made web shooters for Miles that worked better than the ones Parker made. It's right there in the Power Play storyline. Parker is very good. I'm not knocking him. I don't want to come off like that. I'm just stating facts.
    Last edited by Tony Stark; 03-13-2018 at 06:32 PM.

They had a storyline in Hulk were the smartest people were getting kidnapped and they didn't even go after Peter. It was the Intelligencia that was after the smartest heroes. He isn't on Tony, Banner or T'Challa's level. Banner, Tony and T'Challa are in the top 6 smartest people. Peter has done some great things, but he had that one run with Slott writing him. He was basically Tony Stark lite. Tony even made web shooters for Miles that worked better than the ones Parker made. It's right there in the Power Play storyline. Parker is very good. I'm not knocking him. I don't want to come off like that. I'm just stating facts.
    I mean, Tony Stark built better web-shooters than the ones Peter designed at age 15 out of his bedroom. No surprise there... (though Tony still hasn't been able to replicate the web fluid IIRC). And literally the next page we see that Peter's AI was years ahead of Tony's or something like that, which is far more impressive. And if you want to use the Intelligencia's opinion as fact, then we've also seen Doc Ock call everyone (including Tony and Banner and the like) complete dolts and fools, while admitting Peter to be smarter than he is. Based on the things they've actually created/developed/invented, it's pretty clear Peter is an equal to the names you mentioned.

iMan 42s

Is Peter a polymath? I ask that because his skills are in chemistry and a bit of biology. He could be smart enough to understand and do impressive things but what is his focus?
    -----------------------------------
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperiorIronman View Post
    Is Peter a polymath? I ask that because his skills are in chemistry and a bit of biology. He could be smart enough to understand and do impressive things but what is his focus?
    I think he is a polymath for sure, even though his formal studies mainly had to do with biology. TBH, I'd say his absolute most impressive feats of intelligence IMO are in physics and engineering, though biology comes close. He hasn't done anything super super impressive in chemistry since his web-fluid really.

I mean, Tony Stark built better web-shooters than the ones Peter designed at age 15 out of his bedroom. No surprise there... (though Tony still hasn't been able to replicate the web fluid IIRC). And literally the next page we see that Peter's AI was years ahead of Tony's or something like that, which is far more impressive. And if you want to use the Intelligencia's opinion as fact, then we've also seen Doc Ock call everyone (including Tony and Banner and the like) complete dolts and fools, while admitting Peter to be smarter than he is. Based on the things they've actually created/developed/invented, it's pretty clear Peter is an equal to the names you mentioned.
    If we look at the entire history as comic book characters. Peter has never invented on the level as Stark. That's not the characters thing. The Intelligencia wanted the smartest people. They knew who to get. Peter has never made and AI like the ones Tony has. Just look at the characters complete histories. When heroes want something made. They go to Tony, Reed or Pym. The people who knew Parkers identity would not go to him. That's why Tony was Parkers mentor. Parker basically spent the last while as Tony Stark lite.
    Last edited by Tony Stark; 03-13-2018 at 08:25 PM.

I think he is a polymath for sure, even though his formal studies mainly had to do with biology. TBH, I'd say his absolute most impressive feats of intelligence IMO are in physics and engineering, though biology comes close. He hasn't done anything super super impressive in chemistry since his web-fluid really.
    He is not a polymath. Tony and T'challa are polymaths.

Incredible Member SilverWarriorWolf's Avatar

Of course you wouldn’t say he’s as smart as you are.

Quote Originally Posted by SpideyCeo View Post

Quote Originally Posted by SilverWarriorWolf View Post
    Of course you wouldn’t say he’s as smart as you are.
    Let's not fanboy over, shall we? Peter is nowhere near the level of Reed, T'Challa or Stark. Even Hank Pym and Hank McCoy are several steps above him. That's just how it is, whether we like it or not.

Quote Originally Posted by SpiderClops View Post
    Let's not fanboy over, shall we? Peter is nowhere near the level of Reed, T'Challa or Stark. Even Hank Pym and Hank McCoy are several steps above him. That's just how it is, whether we like it or not.
    That's all I'm saying. I'm not trying to knock Peter. I like Peter. I liked his friendship with Tony and how it grew into a mentor/student, but he isn't on those guys level. Hell Tony isn't on Reed's level.

Amazing Member

In terms of strength/power, I'd want him at a level where he wouldn't be struggling against someone like Rhino. He'd acquire this level of strength by regaining his Other powers (new unexplored powers included), or by taking a page out of Metroid and create or be granted a 'Power Suit' (minus the arm cannon).
    Last edited by CosmicGoji; 03-13-2018 at 11:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SpiderClops View Post
    First of all, Hank Pym is smarter than T'Challa and Stark for the most part, and Reed is even smarter. I don't really think Peter is necessarily smarter than Stark, but he is definitely on a comparable level, and he's certainly smarter than Beast. I'd also argue Peter is smarter than T'Challa in scientific fields, though T'Challa is better in pretty much all other fields. TBH T'Challa is kinda overhyped in my opinion, everyone says he is really smart but he hasn't really done too many impressive things beyond creating Shadow Physics. The rest of his inventions are like Falcon's wings and Quinjets (which Peter actually upgraded in Avengers).

Peter is by very definition a polymath. He ranks as smart as anyone in any field of science. In biology, Beast has asked him for help, and Reed once said Peter is better at biology than he is. In physics, he discovered stuff about Pym Particles which Hank Pym didn't know. In tech, he has hacked Starktech a couple times. In chemistry, he has that famous web-fluid. To be fair, I guess you could argue he is a scientific polymath, but not too far above average in other fields like business though.

If we look at the entire history as comic book characters. Peter has never invented on the level as Stark. That's not the characters thing. The Intelligencia wanted the smartest people. They knew who to get. Peter has never made and AI like the ones Tony has. Just look at the characters complete histories. When heroes want something made. They go to Tony, Reed or Pym. The people who knew Parkers identity would not go to him. That's why Tony was Parkers mentor. Parker basically spent the last while as Tony Stark lite.
    Yes, because for 95% of his publishing history, Peter has barely been able to afford rent, while Tony is like the second richest person on Earth after T'Challa. Peter was rich for like 30 issues, and in that time, he built plenty of things which are on the same level as Tony. I mean, as far as armors go, his latest one was more advanced than the majority of Tony's suits pre-Extremis, and was probably better than the armor he had under Bendis. And it was pretty clearly stated in the comic that Peter's AI was more advanced than Tony's, so if you are using evidence that Tony built better web-shooters from that comic, you should also consider that.

And when heroes want something made, they go to Reed, Tony, or Pym, because they are far more famous heroes than Spider-Man, who is known as kind of a jokester. Not to mention that no one who doesn't know Peter's identity knows Spider-Man is a genius. Not to mention that only 27 people on Earth know his identity. Not to mention that even if they did know his identity, and he could design something for them, he wouldn't have been able to build it for them either way, since he didn't have the cash to build and give away advanced tech, so there really was no point of asking him. Anyways, however you slice it, Peter was much more impressive in terms of inventing than Tony was in the All-New All-Different period, where they both had comparable levels of resources. Peter still has never reached anywhere near Tony's peak resources, when Tony was rich enough to hire aliens to build a Dyson Sphere for him. Even with Parker Industries, he wasn't nearly that rich, especially since he kept giving most of it away.
    Last edited by blackspidey2099; 03-14-2018 at 06:57 AM.