Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Incredible Member

Default What would everyone think about Ock making a power play for leadership of Hydra?

Not sure if this was more appropriate for Spider-Man or main Marvel U forum but I think it would be interesting. Ock doesn't seem to be the type who'd be satisfied with being a rank and file type of guy so long as he's part of the organization & Hydra after Secret Empire surely is in a state of flux with Hydracap behind bars so to me it would make sense.

Aside from not having enough tenure within the group I don't see why he'd be any less qualified to run things than Gorgon, Viper, Zola or Kraken (if the new Kraken is still around that is)

What does everyone else think?

Mighty Member

I wouldn't be against it if it was part of moving Ock to being a broader MU villain (like when Norman was running HAMMER during Dark Reign). That is, I think it'd be a good idea if it was used in many Marvel books and not just an arc or two in ASM/SSM - it'd be good to have a well-known villain running Hydra for a while after Secret Empire and it'd probably be good for the Spider-man titles if they take a bit of a Doc Ock reprieve. With his new body, Doc Ock is a formidable villain to fight various heroes one on one and he's smart enough to run an appropriately villainous scheme.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by bob/.schoonover View Post
    I wouldn't be against it if it was part of moving Ock to being a broader MU villain (like when Norman was running HAMMER during Dark Reign). That is, I think it'd be a good idea if it was used in many Marvel books and not just an arc or two in ASM/SSM - it'd be good to have a well-known villain running Hydra for a while after Secret Empire and it'd probably be good for the Spider-man titles if they take a bit of a Doc Ock reprieve. With his new body, Doc Ock is a formidable villain to fight various heroes one on one and he's smart enough to run an appropriately villainous scheme.

Yeah this is why I wasn't sure whether to post it in the Spider-Man forum or the main Marvel U one. Just observing the boards I kinda get the sense that fans might be a little burned-out on Ock & it would serve two purposes imho #1 Creating opportunity to elevate/feature one of Spidey's maybe underappreciated/underutilized villains & #2 Creating more story opportunities for Ock in the broader Marvel U.

I mean, I don't think Ock's ego would allow him to be anything BUT Hydra's leader if he did anything with it again and there's some symbolic similairity between Ock's tentacles and Hydra's insignia...

...but I still want an Ock solo title based around MAD SCIENCE INVESTIGATIONS. XD

Quote Originally Posted by Tendrin View Post
    I mean, I don't think Ock's ego would allow him to be anything BUT Hydra's leader if he did anything with it again and there's some symbolic similairity between Ock's tentacles and Hydra's insignia...

...but I still want an Ock solo title based around MAD SCIENCE INVESTIGATIONS. XD
    My thoughts exactly on the subject.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

If they plan to do that, I think they should wait a while before using either, Secret Empire finished just last year so that was one big use of Hydra, and Otto was used a lot under Slott's run, so they could give it time for both, could be excused that Otto was taking his time to take control of everything.

Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

I think Ock would think of himself as above hanging out or leading them.
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Whovian View Post
    I think Ock would think of himself as above hanging out or leading them.

Probably so but that hasn't stopped him from leading the Sinister Six before... Ultimately he doesn't have to and most likely doesn't care about their idealogies and would just be using them to furthers his agendas.

World's Greatest Hero blackspidey2099's Avatar

I really like this idea!

does he have to call it Hydra? I'm good with him having followers. but Hydra's image has been somewhat tainted. Otto's more creative than that. agents of N.A.U.T.I.L.U.S? T.E.N.T.A.C.L.E? K.R.A.K.E.N?

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    does he have to call it Hydra? I'm good with him having followers. but Hydra's image has been somewhat tainted. Otto's more creative than that. agents of N.A.U.T.I.L.U.S? T.E.N.T.A.C.L.E? K.R.A.K.E.N?
    He'd probably call it "Superior Hydra".

While I think it would be a really cool idea, the one thing against it I think is that the end of Secret Empire showed that there are some Hydra members out there still loyal to Hydra Steve, so I wonder if there would be anyone that would follow Ock.

If there are, however, I think that could lead to a really cool story that Ock makes his own Hydra through their resources and anybody who defects to his side, and when Hydra Steve eventually breaks out, there could be a big fight between HYDRA and Superior Hydra. I don't know how and where that story would go, but I would love to see that.

Quote Originally Posted by Tendrin View Post

He could probably use Doc HYDRA as an alias lol

Quote Originally Posted by Lukmendes View Post
    He'd probably call it "Superior Hydra".
    that could work

Quote Originally Posted by Inversed View Post
    While I think it would be a really cool idea, the one thing against it I think is that the end of Secret Empire showed that there are some Hydra members out there still loyal to Hydra Steve, so I wonder if there would be anyone that would follow Ock.

If there are, however, I think that could lead to a really cool story that Ock makes his own Hydra through their resources and anybody who defects to his side, and when Hydra Steve eventually breaks out, there could be a big fight between HYDRA and Superior Hydra. I don't know how and where that story would go, but I would love to see that.
    Zola's followers became Ock's followers. they came with the base. Arnim was one of Hydra-Steve's more vocal detractors.

Incredible Member Master Planner's Avatar

Ock,although he seems better as a leader of an AIM cell,it could be interesting as Hydra Leader or at least,a fraction of Hydra. But i would prefer if we could see again his crew from his Master Planner era. Ock had everything to set his own criminal organisation and it's sad that Marvel never pushed his gang as a major organisation in MU.
    " I am Loki Scar-Lip, Loki Skywalker, Loki Giant's Child, Loki Lie-Smith. I am Loki, who is fire and wit and hate. I am Loki. And I will be under an obligation to no one."

Previously known as Nefarius