View Poll Results: How powerful and smart?

Voters
45. You may not vote on this poll
  • Basics superhuman abilities/high end prep feats

12 26.67%
  • Combination of Scientific and Magic Biology and some mystic potential/grows in superhuman abilities

4 8.89%
  • High end Scientist near Tchalla/Stark knowledge / lesser superhuman abilities

8 17.78%
  • Master Street Level polymath/hidden genius potential/superhuman abilities

21 46.67%
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Default How powerful/smart do you want your Peter?

Based on the Superman thread, but more notable thanks to Slott's run(god bless the man for making Peter impressive feat using badass). But based on your preference, how would you identify Spidey's true potential as a hero and as a mark on the marvel pantheon.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by SpideyCeo View Post
    Based on the Superman thread, but more notable thanks to Slott's run(god bless the man for making Peter impressive feat using badass). But based on your preference, how would you identify Spidey's true potential as a hero and as a mark on the marvel pantheon.
    At least smarter than the one Slott has wrote.

Quote Originally Posted by SpideyCeo View Post
    How powerful/smart do you want your Peter?
    As much as he currently is/always has been.

Incredible Member SilverWarriorWolf's Avatar

Personally, I like hyper genius Peter. I know not may people agree with me, but it’s what I like. It plays with the idea that he’s modest enough not to really notice how brilliant he is (egotistical geniuses are way too common.)

Physical power should be middling, though.

I feel like he can be an overall type character like he is now. I mean Captain America is capable of fighting some of the most powerful people in the marvel universe why can't Spiderman?

Quote Originally Posted by Jman27 View Post
    I feel like he can be an overall type character like he is now. I mean Captain America is capable of fighting some of the most powerful people in the marvel universe why can't Spiderman?
    I don't consider that a good thing. It's bad writing.

This is a good topic; I voted for the last choice. Peter is very smart but should not be anywhere near as smart as Stark or Richards; historically----and this is the best take IMO----he should be bright enough to impress them both but not be anywhere near their league. Same for his power set; he should not be able to go toe-to-toe with Gods, Hulks etc. There is a reason why the Juggernaut story from Stern's run and the Firelord story from DeFalco's run a few years later work so well: Peter had to pull out all the stops to find a way to stop them because a straight-up fight wasn't going to do it.

BANNED

Last one. I don't see him at the super-genius level of a Stark or Richards but like the occasional flash of brilliance to that level every few years. Always considered Spidey the best of the street level, save the city but not the planet heroes. Absolutely hate any reference to mysticism or spider-totems b.s. Pete is the everyman with powers

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Spidey5640 View Post
    Last one. I don't see him at the super-genius level of a Stark or Richards but like the occasional flash of brilliance to that level every few years. Always considered Spidey the best of the street level, save the city but not the planet heroes. Absolutely hate any reference to mysticism or spider-totems b.s. Pete is the everyman with powers
    Guess you hated the Parker Industries storyline.

Mighty Member

So choice 2 is the good guy version of Doom.

I picked option four. It seems to fit the character best given his established traits and history.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by rward777 View Post
    Guess you hated the Parker Industries storyline.
    I certainly didn't, it was said in the official marvel databook he is still growing in power and recently showed many engineering/chemical feats that are pym esqe in nature. A lot of that potential I would hate to see go to waste, Pym already called him a rival to him and Richards in future potential.

Quote Originally Posted by oldschool View Post
    This is a good topic; I voted for the last choice. Peter is very smart but should not be anywhere near as smart as Stark or Richards; historically----and this is the best take IMO----he should be bright enough to impress them both but not be anywhere near their league. Same for his power set; he should not be able to go toe-to-toe with Gods, Hulks etc. There is a reason why the Juggernaut story from Stern's run and the Firelord story from DeFalco's run a few years later work so well: Peter had to pull out all the stops to find a way to stop them because a straight-up fight wasn't going to do it.
    Except those fights were opposites, Spidey tried to beat Juggernaut in brute force, failed, tried something else, with Firelord he tried many methods to stop him, failed, tried brute force and won, and it makes no sense since he never beat anyone on that level like that, before or after this.

And I hear that Juggernaut is supposed to have his own gravity field, so if he had that back then, even that victory is questionable, though even without that Juggernaut should've been able to leave the bottom just by jumping anyways lol.

Either way, I would like if Spidey remembers that he got that Spider-Fu training, it doesn't change his fighting style much, just makes him more effective, that way his villains can become stronger or start to team up more, kinda like a an eviler Rogue gallery from Flash, as for smarts, occasional advanced tech is fine, just shouldn't go overboard, different kinds of webs are fine (Hell, he even made ice webs to fight Johnny once), but also shouldn't go overboard.
    Last edited by Lukmendes; 03-05-2018 at 12:40 PM.

Amazing Member

I guess I'll go with option 2. Wasn't there a Spider-Man that trained with Iron Fist?

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lukmendes View Post
    Except those fights were opposites, Spidey tried to beat Juggernaut in brute force, failed, tried something else, with Firelord he tried many methods to stop him, failed, tried brute force and won, and it makes no sense since he never beat anyone on that level like that, before or after this.
    I wouldn't consider those opposite fights. He really didn't beat Firelord with just/only brute force. If I recall, that was a 2 issue battle where Spider-man threw every possible thing at Firelord, including an exploding gas station! The cumulative damage Firelord sustained, including the energy spent from chasing Spider-man throughout, made him susceptible to Spider-man's brute force attack at the end.