View Poll Results: How powerful and smart?

Voters
45. You may not vote on this poll
  • Basics superhuman abilities/high end prep feats

12 26.67%
  • Combination of Scientific and Magic Biology and some mystic potential/grows in superhuman abilities

4 8.89%
  • High end Scientist near Tchalla/Stark knowledge / lesser superhuman abilities

8 17.78%
  • Master Street Level polymath/hidden genius potential/superhuman abilities

21 46.67%
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

I want my Spider-Man to be competent.

I want my Spider-Man to be able stop bad guys and fight crime without needing a sidekick, supporting character, or guest hero to have to bail him out on a consistent basis.

I want my Spider-Man to be clever and able to come up with smart plans or creative uses of his powers.

I want my Spider-Man to be smart and intelligent but not necessarily to the same extent as Tony Stark and Reed Richards.

I want my Spider-Man to have the emotional maturity of an adult.

I want my Spider-Man to be pretty strong, but not to an absurd degree.

Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

I like Peter when he was inventing tech and building a powerhouse company. Dan Slott version
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

Quote Originally Posted by wleakr View Post
    I wouldn't consider those opposite fights. He really didn't beat Firelord with just/only brute force. If I recall, that was a 2 issue battle where Spider-man threw every possible thing at Firelord, including an exploding gas station! The cumulative damage Firelord sustained, including the energy spent from chasing Spider-man throughout, made him susceptible to Spider-man's brute force attack at the end.
    Firelord took only a few hits during the battle before Spidey decided to just beat him, two kicks in the face, flying through 3 buildings, another building being imploded, a big rock being thrown at him, and the gas station being exploded, the only one that did any minimal damage on him was flying through the buildings, and all it did was make him briefly dizzy (For whatever reason), anything else it just slowed him down briefly and he clearly didn't take any real damage, so he wasn't tired out during the fight just to get weak enough for Spidey to finish him off by just beating him, he didn't take any real damage and thanks to bad writing, Spidey beat him with brute force. And even if those other attacks did weaken him enough for Spidey to finish him off with brute force, that would also be bad writing since Firelord is too strong for something like imploding buildings and exploding gas stations to do any real damage on him.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I want my Spider-Man to have the emotional maturity of an adult.
    Now you're asking for too much

I want my Spider-Man to be pretty strong, but not to an absurd degree.
    Would be nice if they researched to see what actualy weighs 10 tons for Spidey to have consistent strength feats.
    Last edited by Lukmendes; 03-05-2018 at 04:47 PM.

very smart very capable, and very consistently strong and athletic.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by rward777 View Post
    Guess you hated the Parker Industries storyline.
    Stark-lite? It served a purpose- showed how out of character that role would be for him long term.

World's Greatest Hero blackspidey2099's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SilverWarriorWolf View Post
    Personally, I like hyper genius Peter. I know not may people agree with me, but it’s what I like. It plays with the idea that he’s modest enough not to really notice how brilliant he is (egotistical geniuses are way too common.)

Physical power should be middling, though.
    Same. I like Peter being the person who underestimates himself a lot, it's one of my favorite traits of the character - and not just regarding intelligence, it's nice that he underestimates his strength as well.And I also like it when his stories have a strong sci-fi angle, so that works well too.

Anyways, I didn't vote on the poll since it wasn't really clear what any of the options meant. But overall I think he should have this level of attributes.

Strength: Around as strong as like Luke Cage, able to lift like maybe a 100 tons when angry, and more when he is pumped on adrenaline (like the Daily Bugle moment). On regular occasions, like maybe around 40 tons level. Basically the same as now, but make it more consistent instead of having him be like Captain America strength in some stories.

Speed: Able to dodge and perceive supersonic/hypersonic moving things with just his senses, and even faster with Spider Sense. Able to run maybe like 100-200mph in short bursts. Around the same, or a bit quicker. But more consistent please!

Durability: Can survive a building blowing up around him, or take one, maybe two, hits from the likes of Hulk. Knife proof, and bullet-resistant (but not bulletproof). Basically the same as now, but making his piercing resistance consistent with everything else.

Intelligence: Not as smart as Reed, Doom, or Hank Pym, but as smart as Tony Stark, Bruce Banner, and T'Challa. Smarter than like Beast or Amadeus Cho. Basically the same as now, but used more often, instead of being ignored for like half the issues, and then being smart for another half. He should always be included any time when smart people are meeting up and it makes sense that they would know his identity.

Extra Abilities: I like night vision and being able to stick anywhere, but no stingers or organic webbing.

Basically, I want him to be very similar in levels to what he is like now, but just to be portrayed more consistently (ie. competently instead of being a fool for half the stories) with those attributes. The only thing I'd increase a bit is his speed. Anyways, the Spider-Man I have in my head has two main attributes - intelligence and speed, so those should be concentrated on for most of the stories.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Spidey5640 View Post
    Stark-lite? It served a purpose- showed how out of character that role would be for him long term.
    Spidey was pulling feats like this in past runs like defusing nuclear bombs, fixing cosmic cubes, and inventing alien math to an extend its literally wakandan.

Quote Originally Posted by CosmicGoji View Post
    I guess I'll go with option 2. Wasn't there a Spider-Man that trained with Iron Fist?
    He trained with Shang Chi during Spider-Island.

I always considered his raw intelligence on par with Stark, but each man has different backgrounds. Stark was fortunate enough to have access to anything and everything he'd ever need and work with. It's easy to accomplish a lot when, in reality, much of it does have to do with finances and not "just being smart". Peter wasn't so lucky as to have the resources to stretch his creative brain like that, but it's there. I basically chalk it up to a lack of resources, which he eventually obtained (be angry how, idc) and became essentially Iron Man. (there's also AUs that go that route)

Power wise, I'm okay with his entire powerset. Strength is inconsistent as hell... exactly like every single other Marvel hero. I'd give him a solid 6, if the Hulk is at 10 and civilians at 1.

I understand why people didn't like the mystical stuff tied to Spider-Man, but I actually enjoyed it for what it was. Organic webs included.

I hope manchild Peter is done after Slott leaves. I miss smart adult Peter from the late 90's and when JMS wrote him. He was quite smart and quite powerful.

BANNED

A Peter who walks a fine line between academic protege and playing it down in a savy streetwise way so people underestimate him.

Or is that too Clark Kent?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    A Peter who walks a fine line between academic protege and playing it down in a savy streetwise way so people underestimate him.

Or is that too Clark Kent?
    Peter has too many high end feats science wise to play the upcomer street savvy guy with normal genius smarts. Tony has said he believes in Peter and is possibly as smart as him.

iMan 42s

Reasonable intelligence.
    The man is above average intelligent but Peter is more or less a chemist. I know he built the webshooters but it doesn't take a genius to figure out how those things work. Mechanically it can get complicated but it's still simple enough a high-school student could do it. That being said the webs themselves are far more complicated which to me is why it makes sense for him to know more about chemistry. Maybe have some biology background but him making a bunch of suits is kind of out there when you consider what Peter actually does.
    -----------------------------------
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by SuperiorIronman View Post
    Reasonable intelligence.
    The man is above average intelligent but Peter is more or less a chemist. I know he built the webshooters but it doesn't take a genius to figure out how those things work. Mechanically it can get complicated but it's still simple enough a high-school student could do it. That being said the webs themselves are far more complicated which to me is why it makes sense for him to know more about chemistry. Maybe have some biology background but him making a bunch of suits is kind of out there when you consider what Peter actually does.
    Dude, he built a time machine with a blender. I think he's way past the reasonable genius level.

Quote Originally Posted by blackspidey2099 View Post
    Strength: Around as strong as like Luke Cage, able to lift like maybe a 100 tons when angry, and more when he is pumped on adrenaline (like the Daily Bugle moment). On regular occasions, like maybe around 40 tons level. Basically the same as now, but make it more consistent instead of having him be like Captain America strength in some stories.
    40 tons? Usualy he shows even less than 10 tons, when did he consistently show 40 tons of strength?

Speed: Able to dodge and perceive supersonic/hypersonic moving things with just his senses, and even faster with Spider Sense. Able to run maybe like 100-200mph in short bursts. Around the same, or a bit quicker. But more consistent please!
    Power sets are usualy pretty inconsistent, and speed is like the most inconsistent super power of all, even someone as slow as Spidey (compared to other much faster characters) is gonna be affected by this unfortunately...