View Poll Results: How powerful and smart?

Voters
45. You may not vote on this poll
  • Basics superhuman abilities/high end prep feats

12 26.67%
  • Combination of Scientific and Magic Biology and some mystic potential/grows in superhuman abilities

4 8.89%
  • High end Scientist near Tchalla/Stark knowledge / lesser superhuman abilities

8 17.78%
  • Master Street Level polymath/hidden genius potential/superhuman abilities

21 46.67%
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Peter should be smart enough to understand Stark technology and Reed's calculations, but not smart enough to come up with that stuff on his own.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    Peter should be smart enough to understand Stark technology and Reed's calculations, but not smart enough to come up with that stuff on his own.
    He probably could, but he usually doesn't have the resources for that level of invention or innovation. That's fine by me.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

World's Greatest Hero blackspidey2099's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lukmendes View Post
    40 tons? Usualy he shows even less than 10 tons, when did he consistently show 40 tons of strength?

Power sets are usualy pretty inconsistent, and speed is like the most inconsistent super power of all, even someone as slow as Spidey (compared to other much faster characters) is gonna be affected by this unfortunately...
    Strength: I can't recall Peter ever being less than 10 tons, that's like the absolute lower limit of his strength. And he has tons of feats like easily lifting tanks, train cars, one-shotting the likes of Tombstone or Mr. Negative, drawing blood and damaging the likes of Iron Man, Namor, Thing, Colossus, etc. He usually has no trouble lifting any sort of vehicles either.

Speed: True, I understand they can't write him consistently or his Spider Sense alone makes him unbeatable...

Quote Originally Posted by SpideyCeo View Post
    Dude, he built a time machine with a blender. I think he's way past the reasonable genius level.
    ^^^ This. He's already in the top 5 smartest people in the world, at least as far as I'm aware. Like I said before, intelligence-wise this level is good for him, but it shouldn't be like and on or off thing, but rather something he consistently uses in his stories.

Quote Originally Posted by blackspidey2099 View Post
    Strength: I can't recall Peter ever being less than 10 tons, that's like the absolute lower limit of his strength. And he has tons of feats like easily lifting tanks, train cars, one-shotting the likes of Tombstone or Mr. Negative, drawing blood and damaging the likes of Iron Man, Namor, Thing, Colossus, etc. He usually has no trouble lifting any sort of vehicles either.
    Hm... I vaguely recall him struggling to lift cars, but those are probably minority, in one story which he was shocked when he managed to flip over a train car he thought it was stuck, anothe had him flipping over one with a flick of his finger (That one is really pushing it lol), and for a more recent example, during PI era he managed to hold that crane for an hour (Why he held it instead of just webbing it when he had to rush is another story), kinda weird someone with this strength level can take damage at all from the likes of Otto lol.

I also searched here a bit, apparently tanks can weigh even around 60 tons, him easily lifting one of those would put him way above that, like, if he had his strength at 80 tons, while he wouldn't put all his strength to lift it, he would still have to put enough effort and even be sluggish when using it, fucking writters need to learn consistency lol.

Speed: True, I understand they can't write him consistently or his Spider Sense alone makes him unbeatable...
    There are times even when his Spider Sense warns him he gets a hit though, it warns him of dangers but it doesn't usualy go into specifics, hell you can even have that happen to you in Spidey games, Spider-Sense warns you and you can still take a hit just by not knowing where the danger is coming from (Specialy when there are too many enemies), sure, Spidey's reflexes are much faster, but searching for danger and not finding it until it's too late can happen, it would be bullshit if it "told" him exactly what was gonna happen and he took a hit anyways though lol.

BANNED

He just made his own reed esqe cosmic power source and build stark lite suits recently. I truly think you don't want Spider-Man to be op and awesome because 'muh relatable' reasons

He just made his own reed esqe cosmic power source and build stark lite suits recently. I truly think you don't want Spider-Man to be op and awesome because 'muh relatable' reasons
    It varies from person to person, I for example don't want Spidey to be too strong because I prefer characters who aren't too strong generaly, not because of relatable crap, if anything I never thought it made much sense to say he is relatable lol.

Mighty Member

I'd say this is what I'd like to believe myself, however that's just me. He probably specializes in something specific, but something outside his field like say...botany he could understand but doesn't really care to know too much about it. I suppose we're in a comic book universe where having a software engineering background means you are also called on to be a skilled geologist because ...superhero scientists specialize in ALL SCIENCE.
    Last edited by Mistah K88; 03-08-2018 at 09:05 AM.

Incredible Member SilverWarriorWolf's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mistah K88 View Post
    I'd say this is what I'd like to believe myself, however that's just me. He probably specializes in something specific, but something outside his field like say...botany he could understand but doesn't really care to know too much about it. I suppose we're in a comic book universe where having a software engineering background means you are also called on to be a skilled geologist because ...superhero scientists specialize in ALL SCIENCE.
    Yeah, you’ve got a point.

I’m all for Peter being a super-genius, but specifically a super genius in chemistry/biochemistry. Tech may be a little justified, but he can’t be a genius in everything.

Quote Originally Posted by Lukmendes View Post
    Hm... I vaguely recall him struggling to lift cars, but those are probably minority, in one story which he was shocked when he managed to flip over a train car he thought it was stuck, anothe had him flipping over one with a flick of his finger (That one is really pushing it lol), and for a more recent example, during PI era he managed to hold that crane for an hour (Why he held it instead of just webbing it when he had to rush is another story), kinda weird someone with this strength level can take damage at all from the likes of Otto lol.

I also searched here a bit, apparently tanks can weigh even around 60 tons, him easily lifting one of those would put him way above that, like, if he had his strength at 80 tons, while he wouldn't put all his strength to lift it, he would still have to put enough effort and even be sluggish when using it, fucking writters need to learn consistency lol.
    Yeah, his durability has always been a lot lower than his strength would suggest (how he can take hits from the likes of Hulk but still be put down by a bullet is beyond me), but to be fair, the holding up a crane feat was only because of his armor which gave him a significant strength boost.

There are times even when his Spider Sense warns him he gets a hit though, it warns him of dangers but it doesn't usualy go into specifics, hell you can even have that happen to you in Spidey games, Spider-Sense warns you and you can still take a hit just by not knowing where the danger is coming from (Specialy when there are too many enemies), sure, Spidey's reflexes are much faster, but searching for danger and not finding it until it's too late can happen, it would be bullshit if it "told" him exactly what was gonna happen and he took a hit anyways though lol.
    TBH Spider Sense is really inconsistent in how it works too - some writers have it pointing out exactly what the danger is (like in the recent ASM annual), others have it slowing down time, one writer made it so OP that Peter could run through thousands of scenarios in his head, and Spider Sense would buzz on the bad ones, telling him how to fight so he can win. It was a cool application of his powers, but super super OP.

Quote Originally Posted by blackspidey2099 View Post
    Yeah, his durability has always been a lot lower than his strength would suggest (how he can take hits from the likes of Hulk but still be put down by a bullet is beyond me), but to be fair, the holding up a crane feat was only because of his armor which gave him a significant strength boost.
    Him surviving beatings from stronger beings but still being hurt by bullets, I see it as the same thing as Wonder Woman really, weakness to piercing, just so he isn't bullet proof lol.

It's also weird because in older stories he could take more of a beating from weaker opponents, hell, during the Master Planner story, he was resting while Otto's goons were beating him up lol.

TBH Spider Sense is really inconsistent in how it works too - some writers have it pointing out exactly what the danger is (like in the recent ASM annual), others have it slowing down time, one writer made it so OP that Peter could run through thousands of scenarios in his head, and Spider Sense would buzz on the bad ones, telling him how to fight so he can win. It was a cool application of his powers, but super super OP.
    That last one is way too bullshit, sounds like something from **** fanfiction lol.

Anyways, the ASM annual one was weird because it was doing the same thing as in that story which his spider-sense was amplified so much he could detect every potential danger, and that gave him huge headaches, ASM annual was doing the same without the headache being on the same level.

Another weird thing is that many times Spider-Sense doesn't work at all, don't think Marvel ever explained why, though since it's connected to the web of life similarly with a Madam Web's future predictions, can always be said that sometimes it won't detect a danger because it wasn't "destined" to happen (Or not supposed to happen too early or something like that).

Astonishing Member

Strong enough to fight super powered villains as the Lizard or Rhino and holding his own,but way out of his league against super strong characters as Hulk,Thor,Hercules.
    And smart enough in the fields he studied (Chemestry i believe) but not smart as Reed Richards in pretty much anything.
    I liked one story of Marvel Team Up (Issue:66) by Chris Clameront,that have Spider-Man trying to escape the theme park Murder World of Arcade,and he finds out the machines operating the theme park,and Spider-Man admits not knowing that much about electronics to try control it and just starts to smash things up, hoping by that to make the theme park stop working.
    I think that some writers write him being way clever in about everything,but i like it better when writers write Spider-Man being smart in the fields he studied and not smart at the Reed Richards level.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by whiteshark View Post
    Strong enough to fight super powered villains as the Lizard or Rhino and holding his own,but way out of his league against super strong characters as Hulk,Thor,Hercules.
    And smart enough in the fields he studied (Chemestry i believe) but not smart as Reed Richards in pretty much anything.
    I liked one story of Marvel Team Up (Issue:66) by Chris Clameront,that have Spider-Man trying to escape the theme park Murder World of Arcade,and he finds out the machines operating the theme park,and Spider-Man admits not knowing that much about electronics to try control it and just starts to smash things up, hoping by that to make the theme park stop working.
    I think that some writers write him being way clever in about everything,but i like it better when writers write Spider-Man being smart in the fields he studied and not smart at the Reed Richards level.
    Didnt Peter graduate college and admittes he interned for Reed, it explains alot that hes knows alot more than used to. And he was always on starks level, and could study to be as smart as reed and pym if he had the time to. His intellegence is proven superior to Osborn and Otto too.

Its obvious Spidey is has always been a heavy hitter based on the plot as well.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by SilverWarriorWolf View Post
    Yeah, you’ve got a point.

I’m all for Peter being a super-genius, but specifically a super genius in chemistry/biochemistry. Tech may be a little justified, but he can’t be a genius in everything.
    Why not? His character was always innately rooted towards science and technology. His aunt states that he has a natural instinct for being a genius scientist and it what makes him power creep to handle threats like carnage or other heroes.

Incredible Member SilverWarriorWolf's Avatar

Why not? His character was always innately rooted towards science and technology. His aunt states that he has a natural instinct for being a genius scientist and it what makes him power creep to handle threats like carnage or other heroes.
    Because there is no such thing as a scientist who’s an expert in all areas of science. Science is multifaceted, like art, with different areas a person can excel in. There no “scientist” who starts his morning with brain surgery, moves on to his groundbreaking works in computer programming, teaches a class in advanced chemistry, and does a bit of nuclear engineering in the evening. Two fields is safe, and as I said tech and chemistry works for Peter, but all of them? That’s way too far.

Frankly, it’s not just Peter I feel this way towards. Bruce Wayne should also be only chemistry and tech, Reed Richards physics and tech, Stephan Strange biology and magic, Bruce Banner chemistry and radiology, and Tony Stark tech and business. Scientists who are good at SCIENCE in general is getting Mary Sue/Marty Stu power fantasy levels.
    Last edited by SilverWarriorWolf; 03-09-2018 at 02:52 PM.