Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1
    Incredible Member Jackmando7's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    726

    Default Should Netflix make a Blade Show?

    Do you guys thing Netflix should make a show for Blade? I do, I think that would be cool.

  2. #2

    Default

    The current Marvel Netflix shows work better when they are grounded/gritty/personal. They dropped the ball with the more mystical elements in both IF and Defenders so I'd be more hesitant to trust them with that type of show again.

    Blade should get another show or movie tho.

  3. #3
    Invincible Member XPac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    29,978

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    The current Marvel Netflix shows work better when they are grounded/gritty/personal. They dropped the ball with the more mystical elements in both IF and Defenders so I'd be more hesitant to trust them with that type of show again.

    Blade should get another show or movie tho.
    Vampires are pretty easy to do though. On the mystical spectrum of things, they're pretty straight foreward. I don't think a Blade movie necessarily has to be THAT different than a PUnisher movie, except the people the main character is going after happens to be vampires.

    I would trust them to handle Blade well. That said, I'm not sure Net Flicks will be doing more marvel stuff if Disney has it's own streaming thing coming down the line.

  4. #4
    King of Wakanda Midvillian1322's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    8,389

    Default

    With Netflix and Disney maybe on the outs I doubt it. Maybe take it to Starz since they get all Disney stuff. HBO would ensure more viewers and thus a bigger Budget though.

  5. #5
    Silver Sentinel BeastieRunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    West Coast, USA
    Posts
    9,817

    Default

    I was secretly hoping Phase 3 of Marvel's Netflix was going to be more mystical and supernatural with how they set up the Hand and Iron Fist. Blade/Moon Knight/Werewolf by Night/Ghost Rider/Morbius/Nightstalkers ... that type of stuff. Looks like there won't be a Phase 3 of it.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

  6. #6

    Default

    I'd definitely be on board if they added Blade to the Marvel Netflix U. Did they drop the ball with the more mystical elements in IF and Defenders? Sure. But vampires, as others have said, are easier to incorporate into a more grounded setting.
    Always Forward. Forward Always.

  7. #7
    BANNED AmazingSpiderFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Posts
    67

    Default

    I'd rather they not, for a number of reasons:

    1. The original Blade movies are still totally watchable and are going to be very hard to top.
    2. There already was a Blade TV show and it was kind of boring. Fighting vampires week after week gets old.
    3. Once you introduce vampires (and werewolves) into the Marvel Cinematic Universe, you open a whole can of worms that maybe shouldn't be opened. You have to explain why SHIELD doesn't know about them, how they've stayed hidden forever, etc.

    Of course, Netflix is probably not going to be expanding its range of shows. Disney might do something for the streaming service, but everything I've heard suggests they are going to be pushing the family friendly angle hard, and Blade is not family friendly. Not if it's any good at least. Nobody wants a PG rated Blade.

  8. #8
    Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    6,259

    Default

    Netflix is not getting anymore Marvel properties. Everything original going forward is going to be on the Disney streaming service or something connected to that.

  9. #9
    Formerly rsreed13 robreedwrites's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    2,980

    Default

    Assuming there aren't issues with Netflix and Disney:

    I'd still be hesitant to do it. Would I love a well made show with Blade? Yes. But there's a lot of questions a show would need to answer.

    1. Do you bring back Wesley Snipes? This is probably the biggest issue, as it's his charisma that really differentiated Blade from other vampire franchises. Getting either Snipes back or someone with similiar talent and martial arts background is going to be a must.
    2. How do you tie in the MCU? Do you bring in the other Netflix characters, do you explain how Vampires remained hidden (or maybe they aren't and it's something the general public learned when SHIELD's files were dumped on the web by Widow in Winter Soldier)?
    3. How do you keep this from becoming Angel/Buffy? And how do you keep it from becoming formulaic when your hero has significant advantages over the villains?
    Reviews at Adventures in Poor Taste: http://www.adventuresinpoortaste.com/author/robert/
    I also write reviews for Newsarama

  10. #10
    Silver Sentinel BeastieRunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    West Coast, USA
    Posts
    9,817

    Default

    Well the biggest problem will be if Netflix/Marvel will do more shows or not.

    Quote Originally Posted by robreedwrites View Post

    1. Do you bring back Wesley Snipes? This is probably the biggest issue, as it's his charisma that really differentiated Blade from other vampire franchises. Getting either Snipes back or someone with similiar talent and martial arts background is going to be a must.
    MCU has had a good track record when it comes to casting so far, at any level. This isn't much of a problem, IMHO.
    2. How do you tie in the MCU? Do you bring in the other Netflix characters, do you explain how Vampires remained hidden (or maybe they aren't and it's something the general public learned when SHIELD's files were dumped on the web by Widow in Winter Soldier)?
    Possibly but the Netflix heroes and Runaways shows you don't have to slavishly tie-in to make it work.

    Secret societies wouldn't be that big of a deal.

    The SHIELD files going public could help cover, too. Or out them. Good story either way.
    3. How do you keep this from becoming Angel/Buffy? And how do you keep it from becoming formulaic when your hero has significant advantages over the villains?
    I think this is the least of the problems. I think if it's going to retread any popular story-lines it is more likely to run afoul of Underworld more than anything.

    In my opinion going full Midnight Sons team-up or Captain Britain & MI-13 would help with that.

    Using that more recent Marc Guggenheim arc with Blade's father and him losing his hand would help differentiate it from the Snipes stuff.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

  11. #11
    Invincible Member XPac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    29,978

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by robreedwrites View Post
    Assuming there aren't issues with Netflix and Disney:

    I'd still be hesitant to do it. Would I love a well made show with Blade? Yes. But there's a lot of questions a show would need to answer.

    1. Do you bring back Wesley Snipes? This is probably the biggest issue, as it's his charisma that really differentiated Blade from other vampire franchises. Getting either Snipes back or someone with similiar talent and martial arts background is going to be a must.
    2. How do you tie in the MCU? Do you bring in the other Netflix characters, do you explain how Vampires remained hidden (or maybe they aren't and it's something the general public learned when SHIELD's files were dumped on the web by Widow in Winter Soldier)?
    3. How do you keep this from becoming Angel/Buffy? And how do you keep it from becoming formulaic when your hero has significant advantages over the villains?
    Snipes is getting up there in age. I think you want an actor that's reasonably young if possible so that you can get more milage out of him.

  12. #12
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    19,110

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AmazingSpiderFan View Post
    1. The original Blade movies are still totally watchable and are going to be very hard to top.
    Well, two of them are... But then so are two of the Sam Raimi Spider-Man movies and that's not stopping anybody of making more of them.

    2. There already was a Blade TV show and it was kind of boring. Fighting vampires week after week gets old.
    But there have been plenty of vampire shows made by more capable people that were not boring.

    3. Once you introduce vampires (and werewolves) into the Marvel Cinematic Universe, you open a whole can of worms that maybe shouldn't be opened. You have to explain why SHIELD doesn't know about them, how they've stayed hidden forever, etc.
    Easy. SHIELD does know about them. And SHIELD are the primary reason nobody else knows. It's MCU canon that SHIELD knows about a lot of weird stuff and keeps it under wraps.

    Quote Originally Posted by Comic Book Addict View Post
    I'd definitely be on board if they added Blade to the Marvel Netflix U. Did they drop the ball with the more mystical elements in IF and Defenders? Sure. But vampires, as others have said, are easier to incorporate into a more grounded setting.
    I'm not convinced that vampires are easier to drop into a grounded setting than one that has demons, Asgardian actual gods (as of Ragnarok anyway), aliens, wizards...

  13. #13
    the devil's reject choptop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    3,546

    Default

    As long as it's not long slow with to much talking.

  14. #14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AmazingSpiderFan View Post
    2. There already was a Blade TV show and it was kind of boring. Fighting vampires week after week gets old.
    Uh, you have heard of Buffy, right?

    Sandy Hausler

  15. #15
    BANNED AmazingSpiderFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Posts
    67

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sandy Hausler View Post
    Uh, you have heard of Buffy, right?
    I have. The thing is, Blade is not Buffy. Buffy was a show where vampires, monsters and demons were used as metaphors for the challenges a person faces growing up and forming an adult identity. In many ways, the vampires were the least interesting thing about Buffy (particularly the unnamed vampires, who became something of a joke as the show went on). Blade doesn't quite lend itself to that kind of dynamic. It might lend itself to a dynamic more like Angel, but "cursed to be a Daywalker" isn't quite as compelling as "seeking redemption after two hundred years of slaughter."

    The sad reality is that the vampire shows that are successful tend to be more about boinking vampires than killing them. These shows tend to draw large female audiences with lots of romantic drama. I don't think Blade can grab that audience, not unless you completely change Blade as a character. But I don't think Blade fans want to see Blade in a tortured romance with a vampire.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •