Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Mighty Member

Default DC Fantasy Books

Obviously Alan Scott in a strictly Arabian Nights setting. Sometimes interacting with Ali Baba,Aladdin,and a Hard Road Traveled arc with Sinbad. Gets to fall in love with Scheherazade. Adam Strange in a Barbarian Age setting. Figure out Sword and Sorcery reason for helmet blaster and rocket pack. Skataris,Skataris,Skataris!!! Any story involving Skataris. Green Arrow in Skataris. Gets to fall in love with Warlord. Just kidding.
    Last edited by alton; 03-08-2018 at 09:59 PM.

The Fifth World
    1. World Of Skartaris
    2. World Of Pytharia
    3. World Of Myrra
    4. World Of Gem
    5. World Of Plaxius* This is taken from Batman # 125 King Batman The First, a Cavern Labrynth Stargate To other Realm

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

I am on board with all the Gemworld ideas. They could even do it as a prequel to Amethyst and not even have her appear until the end. Really set up the 12 houses of magic and establish the alliances and who is hostile to who. The whole world is based on magic so that alone would bring in so many mystic DC characters for story potential. I would like them to keep one thing from the Nu52 Sword of Sorcery book, and that is Eclipso's ties to Gemworld. If done right Gemworld could be a Game of Thrones type story with Eclipso in the role of the Night King just biding his time until he can unleash total chaos on Gemworld again.

Shazamethyst - Amy Winston, Billy Batson, and Billy’s foster siblings travel to Gemworld to free the world from the tyranny of Dark Opal and Mordru and learn new secrets about the Wizard and Council of Eternity.

Witches - Morgan le Fay of Avalon and Circe of Aeaea have battled for centuries over control of magic in the DCU. Can one ever truly best the other? What happens when Oberon and Titania decide to intervene? Why has Merlin sought out Medea and why are Hecate and Queen Mab assembling their own coven including the Weird Sisters, Queen of Fables, and Lilith?

Quote Originally Posted by WonderScott View Post
    Shazamethyst - Amy Winston, Billy Batson, and Billy’s foster siblings travel to Gemworld to free the world from the tyranny of Dark Opal and Mordru and learn new secrets about the Wizard and Council of Eternity.

Witches - Morgan le Fay of Avalon and Circe of Aeaea have battled for centuries over control of magic in the DCU. Can one ever truly best the other? What happens when Oberon and Titania decide to intervene? Why has Merlin sought out Medea and why are Hecate and Queen Mab assembling their own coven including the Weird Sisters, Queen of Fables, and Lilith?
    Speaking of Morgaine, I wouldn't mind a story about DC exploring her heroic side which is often forgotten about in adaptations.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Speaking of Morgaine, I wouldn't mind a story about DC exploring her heroic side which is often forgotten about in adaptations.
    I've been doing a lot of DCU witch and sorceress research for something I'd to write. Most of what I've found (The Demon) has her as a villainous component. IIRC, she was a conflicted villain in the Madame Xanadu series.

Has she had a virtuous go of it in the DCU that I'm missing? Or are you talking about how she's been redeemed from earlier portrayals in other tellings of her story in other media?

I'd be interested in a tale like that, that also delves into the Fae Folk in the DCU. I'd like to build up those characters in the DCU that are separate from their Sandman versions. With the new line, I'm unsure how willing they'll be to mix Sandman characters and myths with the regular DCU.
    Last edited by WonderScott; 03-08-2018 at 09:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MRP View Post
    I think the Gaiman curated Sandman line is a good start for DC fantasy books, but there are lots of other possibilities.

I'd love to see something done with Starfire I...

featuring a strong female lead who is a warrior woman leading a rebellion against some kind of oppressor in a swords and science setting, maybe adding elements of planetary romance-a earth women cast into a strange world where she discovers all she is capable of.

Maybe do something with Arion (perhaps a new take on the Atlantis Chronicles) and/or Skartaris (though Warlord has never felt right without Mike Grell being on board in some fashion or other).

I'm not sure if DC retains the rights to Arak or whether Roy Thomas kept them when the series was done at DC, but a new take on the shamanic native American warrior exploring the dark age setting of Europe has a lot of strong storytelling possibilities.

A new Madame Xanadu series, more in line with the sensibilities of the Matt Wagner series from Vertigo than what they did with her in JL Dark.

Ideally, I'd like to see them do something along the lines of Ink and Zoom, OGN by some established fantasy writers using DC properties, with 2 lines, a young adult fantasy line and more adult fantasy line (a la Gaiman's curated line but not Sandman specific). Fantasy is probably a bigger seller in the YA market and in the broader book market (where Potter books and that ilk dominate the YA market and stuff like A Song of Fire and Ice, the Dresden Files, etc. draw in older readers) than in the direct market and it would be a chance to get new eyes of readers who may not specifically be comics readers on stuff in comic format that can create new customers and grow the overall market. There's a lot of untapped potential there.

-M
    I've always found the Starfire character design and covers arresting and interstate (having never tracked the stories down to read.) It might also be the love for a good asymmetrical costume and epic hair.

I know we already have a Starfire in the main DCU, but I'd love to see this Starfire join the fray. I can never decide if I want her to be a fantasy character of added to the ranks of space opera characters. Give her a ship and a crew and tell the Thanagarians and Green Lanterns to back off.

Alternatively, she's got a He-Man and the Masters of the Unverse/Thundarr the Barbarian vibe about her that would work in a standalone world/setting as you suggested.

Quote Originally Posted by DGraysonWorldsGreatestSpy View Post
    The Fifth World
    1. World Of Skartaris
    2. World Of Pytharia
    3. World Of Myrra
    4. World Of Gem
    5. World Of Plaxius* This is taken from Batman # 125 King Batman The First, a Cavern Labrynth Stargate To other Realm
    I know Gemworld and and Skartaris but what are Myrra and Pytharia?

Quote Originally Posted by WonderScott View Post
    I've been doing a lot of DCU witch and sorceress research for something I'd to write. Most of what I've found (The Demon) has her as a villainous component. IIRC, she was a conflicted villain in the Madame Xanadu series.

Has she had a virtuous go of it in the DCU that I'm missing? Or are you talking about how she's been redeemed from earlier portrayals in other tellings of her story in other media?

I'd be interested in a tale like that, that also delves into the Fae Folk in the DCU. I'd like to build up those characters in the DCU that are separate from their Sandman versions. With the new line, I'm unsure how willing they'll be to mix Sandman characters and myths with the regular DCU.
    Morgana in the Arthurian myths becomes more heroic later on.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    I know Gemworld and and Skartaris but what are Myrra and Pytharia?
    Myrra is the world from the Nightmaster (Jim Rook) stories that appeared in Showcase 83-85?, and Pytharia is the world fo Claw the Unconquered if I recall, it's been a while since I have read that stuff.

-M
    Comic fans get the comics their buying habits deserve.

"Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

BANNED

Storytime with Etrigan: Etrigan sits down in a recliner with a cup of hot chocolate and reads stories about different characters in the DCU, always with some sort of fantastical element. Naturally it's all in rhyme.

Blades of Legend: Tatsu Yamashiro/Katana teams up with Jim Rook/Nightmaster.

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

I would absolutely be down with Warlord and Gemworld/Amethyst books. I have loved those two since way back and have all the incarnations of each series.
    I love each of the suggestions for the Amethyst/Gemworld runs. There is so much lost potential there especially with the success of Game of Thrones. I actually really liked the (brief) run it had with the Swords of Sorcery series DC tried, but I think the high price tag is what hampered it's sales the most and would love for DC to give it another go at a better price point. I would however, prefer to get back a little closer to the original Amethyst/Amy Winston character than the character she became in that series.
    With Warlord, what's not to love about a man that tromps around an exotic jungle in a furry loincloth with a almost naked were-woman who fight dinosaurs and aliens? I mean really!
    I also loved Frankenstein, Agent of SHADE and would kill to have that series back...only with a spin...I would give the book to the Bride...I think she could be a killer (pun intended) character to explore in a sci-fi/fantasy type setting.

Has there ever been any stated connection between the Shadowlands and the Land of Nightshades? That's a realm that isn't explored much.

A team up between Donna Troy, Khalid Nassour and Sandy Hawkins.

An Elseworlds take-

Archaeologists Kent Nelson and Carter Hall, along with their scientific adviser Ray Palmer (or Ryan Choi) set out on an expedition into the lands within the hollow Earth; i.e. the realms of Skartaris. Along they way they find a magical helm, a set of Nth metal wings, and a chunk of White Dwarf meteorite that grant them wondrous powers as they explore this lost world of swords, sorcery and dinosaurs. Round out the expedition's cast with a few more familiar faces (maybe funded by business tycoon Oliver Queen who takes up a bow in Skartaris, a bodyguard physical/military type of some sort (maybe John Stewart or Travis Morgan) in charge of expedition security...brand it as justice League Skartaris if it helps sales.

-M
    Comic fans get the comics their buying habits deserve.

"Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato