Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Default Lost In Space series trailer

Check out @LostInSpaceFeed’s Tweet: https://twitter.com/LostInSpaceFeed/...694471170?s=09

I'd completely forgotten Parker Posey was in this.
    Stick "we work together and we get out of here alive"

Matt "peace out suckas"

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

It looks interesting to me. You can tell they did not cheap out in the effects because it looks really good. I am definitely going to give it a look when it come out.

Astonishing Member AndrewCrossett's Avatar

The entertainment industry has become so terrified of anything new that even when they DO something new, they have to pretend it isn't.

Boisterously Confused

I don't see a Don West character (unless I just missed it). That's no bigs, in such a case they're harking back to the original Gold Key comics from which the TV show was adapted (if you're thinking I've got that backwards, not so). Yet on the other hand, they are including a Dr. Smith, which is also a TV creation, so, I dunno.

However, I'm going to watch it. After all, BSG turned out to do okay with cherry picking from the original.

Quote Originally Posted by Qwerty View Post
    Check out @LostInSpaceFeed’s Tweet: https://twitter.com/LostInSpaceFeed/...694471170?s=09

I'd completely forgotten Parker Posey was in this.
    She's gonna be a fun Dr. Smith.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Hmm! Interesting. Even though I still remember what a dog with fleas the 1998 feature film was (William Hurt, Gary Oldman as Dr. Smith, Matt Stinking LeBlanc), I might give this a looksee.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

This is the first I heard of this remake!

Can’t wait! I loved the original series!

turned off by Parker Posey. she can be really annoying. but i'll give it a try.

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    I don't see a Don West character (unless I just missed it). That's no bigs, in such a case they're harking back to the original Gold Key comics from which the TV show was adapted (if you're thinking I've got that backwards, not so). Yet on the other hand, they are including a Dr. Smith, which is also a TV creation, so, I dunno.

However, I'm going to watch it. After all, BSG turned out to do okay with cherry picking from the original.
    The white daughter (Judy I think) says the name Don at one point.
    Stick "we work together and we get out of here alive"

Matt "peace out suckas"

I'm super excited about this. Casting a woman as Dr. Smith is a smart idea. Dr. Smith is such a problematic character in the modern age. His relationship with Will Robinson comes off as very "pedophile threat," and it's hard to believe that Mr. Robinson doesn't just put a cap in his ass for all the trouble he makes. Making the character a woman solves both of these problems -- you lose that whole pedophile threat, and a woman -- even a truly vile bitch of a woman -- is a lot less likely to provoke violence from a man than another man doing the exact same things.

But casting Parker Posey as Dr. Smith? That goes beyond smart into pure brilliance. She is so good at delivering deadpan snark, and Dr. Smith needs to be a deadpan snarker. She's so great at conveying how tedious she finds other people with an eyeroll, and I see her being able to perfectly capture Dr. Smith's smug sense of superiority and caustic personality.

Normally a Lost In Space reboot wouldn't appeal to me much, but I'm really excited to see Posey in this, and expect great things from her.

I never thought the day would come when I would be interested in watching Lost In Space and not sure if I would watch the second season of a Trek show.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    I never thought the day would come when I would be interested in watching Lost In Space and not sure if I would watch the second season of a Trek show.
    I know, right? Strange times we live in.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Astonishing Member AndrewCrossett's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AmazingSpiderFan View Post
    I'm super excited about this. Casting a woman as Dr. Smith is a smart idea. Dr. Smith is such a problematic character in the modern age. His relationship with Will Robinson comes off as very "pedophile threat," and it's hard to believe that Mr. Robinson doesn't just put a cap in his ass for all the trouble he makes. Making the character a woman solves both of these problems -- you lose that whole pedophile threat, and a woman -- even a truly vile bitch of a woman -- is a lot less likely to provoke violence from a man than another man doing the exact same things.
    Well, women can be pedophiles too. The problem was mainly with the way the actor portrayed Smith... almost like he was deliberately *trying* to come off that way.

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewCrossett View Post
    Well, women can be pedophiles too. The problem was mainly with the way the actor portrayed Smith... almost like he was deliberately *trying* to come off that way.
    Sure, women can be pedophiles, but it's just not the same. There isn't this whole long history of pedophile panic around women. And you're right, Jonathon Harris was very deliberately playing into camp gay stereotypes to evoke that fear of male homosexual pedophiles -- back when the original show aired, before the gay rights movement, male homosexuality and pedophilia were highly entwined in the minds of the general public. A woman can't really draw on that kind of stereotyping, because there just isn't a widely held "female pedophile" stereotype.