Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Astonishing Member AndrewCrossett's Avatar

The original Dr. Smith was also kind of conflicted... in the early episodes before the show became a farce and some attempt was still being made at character development and acting.

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    On the other hand when they do it wrong it can be an epic disaster like the The Munsters Today, and even that trainwreck of a show got 3 seasons.
    I liked the Mockingbird Lane pilot, which was a darker Munsters reboot.

Making Dr. Smith a woman killed if for me as I'm a fan of the old series, so I'm gonna pass on this one.

Mutatis Mutandis ChildOfTheAtom's Avatar
    1407 Graymalkin Lane, North Salem, NY 10560

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Skeleton View Post
    Making Dr. Smith a woman killed if for me as I'm a fan of the old series, so I'm gonna pass on this one.
    That's unfortunate since she's probably the most interesting character on this show. It was a great performance imo
    The agreement also provides Disney with the opportunity to reunite the X-MEN with the Marvel family under one roof and create richer, more complex worlds of inter-related characters and stories that audiences have shown they love. It only makes sense for Marvel to be supervised by one entity. There shouldn't be two Marvels.

Lost in Space is probably my favorite Sci-fi series of all time! I am really looking forward to this show and hope it is not another 1997 train wreck.
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:
    DC: The Flash (Jay & Wally), Starman- Jack Knight, Stargirl, & Shazam!.
    MARVEL: Daredevil, Spider-Man (Peter Parker), & Doctor Strange.

Current Pulls: Not a thing!

Dr. Smith's masculinity never defined him the way it did with with the original Don West. Smith was a schemer, conniver, and gradual babysitter, but you don't need to be a man to get those key traits.

Out of all the characters and all the gender roles of the 1960s, Smith was probably the least gendered of them all. Will was the archetypal adventurous boy found a lot in that era, John and Maureen acted the way you expect parents of the day to act, and Don was hyper masculine. Smith, though, could've been played by a woman back then and the key beats would still be there. He was vain, arrogant, and prideful, but rarely did he boast about masculine pride the way the adult males did.

Quote Originally Posted by FlashFreak View Post
    Lost in Space is probably my favorite Sci-fi series of all time! I am really looking forward to this show and hope it is not another 1997 train wreck.
    One thing I noticed: it seems this Don West has more in common with 1997 West than the original. But damn, did Matt LeBlanc ham it up. Every tough guy cliche you could think of, he put it in there, and it really added to the terrible cheese factor.

This Don West, while still a cocky smartass, seems much more tolerable and controlled. I'll take him.
    Last edited by Cyke; 04-14-2018 at 07:37 AM.

Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

Watched the first two episodes last night and loved them. I hope the rest of the season is as good.
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

Mighty Member

Just finished the first episode, it was a bit slow at times but overall enjoyable. I loved the twist with the Dr. Smith.

Finished episodes 1 and 2, this is everything I wanted in a modern day Lost in Space series!!! LOVE IT SO FAR!
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:
    DC: The Flash (Jay & Wally), Starman- Jack Knight, Stargirl, & Shazam!.
    MARVEL: Daredevil, Spider-Man (Peter Parker), & Doctor Strange.

Current Pulls: Not a thing!

The original Lost in Space was a show I loved when I was eight years old and saw it for the first time when it went on the air. So far, I've only seen the first episode of the new one but, so far, this is definitely a version of the show I can love now.
    Power with Girl is better.

Sorry to hear that. I can understand being turned off by some element or other that's changed but I think it's unfortunate to miss out on something good because of one little detail.

Astonishing Member

5 episodes in. The production, sets, special effects are top notch. The writing is where I am missing the extra step to be amazing.
    The I feel like most of the family is kind of one dimensional in their roles. They are all brilliant and exceptionally smart. But, other than that....I don't find any of them to be deeper than that yet.

Dr. Smith probably has the most "depth" to mine as the villain which is good. Overall its decent and I will finish it but I don't see it as amazing. And I already want to be introduced to more compelling characters than the main family. That doesn't bode well.

Quote Originally Posted by Powerboy View Post
    Sorry to hear that. I can understand being turned off by some element or other that's changed but I think it's unfortunate to miss out on something good because of one little detail.
    The original Dr. Smith was so outrageous that he cracked me up. He was pretty much the scene stealer. I remember going to a horror/sci-fi con several years back in which they had the living cast members of the original show appearing together and had a Q&A later on. I remember hearing that Bill Mumy flirted the idea of playing the new Dr. Smith if they ever did another reboot and he even did the voice too which was awesome. I would've got behind that idea, but a missed opportunity.

The original Dr. Smith was so outrageous that he cracked me up. He was pretty much the scene stealer. I remember going to a horror/sci-fi con several years back in which they had the living cast members of the original show appearing together and had a Q&A later on. I remember hearing that Bill Mumy flirted the idea of playing the new Dr. Smith if they ever did another reboot and he even did the voice too which was awesome. I would've got behind that idea, but a missed opportunity.
    Admittedly, I would have preferred having Bill Mumy as a regular cast member as Dr. Smith just because he's Billy Mumy, the original Will Robinson.

But one thing I realized from having watched the episode with the appearance of Dr. Smith only at the end is that, male or female, Mummy or the actress, they are clearly going for as realistic approach to the stories and characterization so there was zero chance that we would have gotten Jonathan Harris's over the top Dr. Smith no matter who played the character. Mind you, I loved Harris's Smith.

Mutatis Mutandis ChildOfTheAtom's Avatar
    1407 Graymalkin Lane, North Salem, NY 10560

Damn damn damn what a season finale cliff hanger....

Hopefully it's renewed
    The agreement also provides Disney with the opportunity to reunite the X-MEN with the Marvel family under one roof and create richer, more complex worlds of inter-related characters and stories that audiences have shown they love. It only makes sense for Marvel to be supervised by one entity. There shouldn't be two Marvels.