Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Formerly Blackdragon6 Emperor-of-Dragons's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sighphi View Post
    Standard update where the family had to be at each other's throat to create drama. Wasn't really that interesting.
    It wasn't enough of it for it to be annoying personally. Most of the drama was between the parents anyway.

What i didn't like was the fact nothing much happened this season. Less exploration of said planet and space and too much of fake Dr. Smith's contrived scheming. But otherwise i thought the production value was outstanding. It has the feel of a Spieldberg-esque summer sci-fi film, plus all the Robinson women are hot..

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor-of-Dragons View Post
    It wasn't enough of it for it to be annoying personally. Most of the drama was between the parents anyway.

What i didn't like was the fact nothing much happened this season. Less exploration of said planet and space and too much of fake Dr. Smith's contrived scheming. But otherwise i thought the production value was outstanding. It has the feel of a Spieldberg-esque summer sci-fi film, plus all the Robinson women are hot..
    Agreed....
    Stick "we work together and we get out of here alive"

Matt "peace out suckas"

It seems pretty cool to me. It makes me think of what they could do with the Fantastic Four down the line with the futuristic family vibe.

I loved that they kept the robot and boy relationship. This could be pretty neat.

I liked this well enough, and I hope it gets a second season, at least.

I just wish they'd made Smith somewhat sympathetic. She was just a sociopath. There was no nuance to her character. We've seen such better depictions of 'villains' in tv and movies today, that she really falls short compared to other offerings lately.

I mean, they're already stranded on a hostile planet, and now 'lost in space'. We don't need a threat that's just pure evil. It'd be better if we could somewhat sympathize with her choices and actions, while not exactly liking them. But, daddy liked my sister better isn't really sympathetic motivation for me.

Other than that I enjoyed it.

She's basically Tihanni from the good place of she went the other way. Nothing worse than having a sibling that gets all the love and endorsement from parents whole the other is treated like garbage.
    Stick "we work together and we get out of here alive"

Matt "peace out suckas"

Just didn't work for me as motivation for her extreme actions. Especially her willingness to manipulate and abuse children.

Again, that's an angle you could have made sympathetic, but they didn't, and that left me cold to the character. I just think it was a missed opportunity.

Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post
    I liked this well enough, and I hope it gets a second season, at least.

I just wish they'd made Smith somewhat sympathetic. She was just a sociopath. There was no nuance to her character. We've seen such better depictions of 'villains' in tv and movies today, that she really falls short compared to other offerings lately.

I mean, they're already stranded on a hostile planet, and now 'lost in space'. We don't need a threat that's just pure evil. It'd be better if we could somewhat sympathize with her choices and actions, while not exactly liking them. But, daddy liked my sister better isn't really sympathetic motivation for me.

Other than that I enjoyed it.
    I've only seen the first three so far. I'm gathering that some horrible catastrophe was facing the Earth and that there was one mass exodus so by the time "Smith's" sister got free and called the authorities, it was too late. It was clear "Smith" did not kill her as she was shown bound in that room. She also hesitated and almost opened the door rather than allow the guy to be pulled out into space. But her survival instinct always overrides everything else.

I agree. I find "Smith" to be a distraction. As you said, they're already stranded on a hostile planet and have some serious family issues. I found "Dr. Smith" being there to be an annoyance more than anything else. I want to focus on the family dynamic and the danger plus the interesting friendship between Will and the Robot. To me, the existence of "Dr. Smith" is just pulling my attention away from the truly interesting stuff. What's she going to do next to threaten people and disrupt the interesting family dynamic?

In fairness, I loved Dr. Smith on the original when I was a child. If I started watching it again now and I might (and I know it's very much a children's show and am prepared for that), I suspect I'd quickly start to find Dr. Smith's over the top antics and screeching an annoying distraction from other things that should be more interesting if they stopped making it so Smith-centric and focused on other characters more.
    Power with Girl is better.

I think or me, they just didn't develop Smith enough for how big a role she played. Not that anyone really got developed that much. Character development wasn't the strong suit of this show, if I'm honest.

I kinda wish this show had 13 episodes so they could have devoted a bit more time to character. It seems like Netflix make shows that don't need it 13 episodes (Marvel) and everything else that isn't feels like it could have used the extra episodes. I dunno...

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Skeleton View Post
    The original Dr. Smith was so outrageous that he cracked me up. He was pretty much the scene stealer. I remember going to a horror/sci-fi con several years back in which they had the living cast members of the original show appearing together and had a Q&A later on. I remember hearing that Bill Mumy flirted the idea of playing the new Dr. Smith if they ever did another reboot and he even did the voice too which was awesome. I would've got behind that idea, but a missed opportunity.
    Not exactly. Mumy did play the real Dr. Smith of this series.
    HEY KIDS, (BUY MY) COMICS!! https://www.mythworldemedia.com/store

The beginning was rocky for me. When shyt started to hit the fan early, instead of going "Whoa, we're jumping right into it? Ok OK " I felt the opposite was wondering "Why do you feel you deserve my sympathy early on?" The emotional ochestration felt so disinegenuine at first.

I also couldn't get a feel for the boy in terms of acting. He handles crying very well, but his sadness comes off as mopey and annoying, and his content/happiness seems stiff.

The ginger sister looked like walking suspicion in the first couple of episodes, not so much in a rebelious teen way, but in a maniacle resting face way. Plus most of her jokes did not land at all, at all. The brainy sister was dope at first, but her face is a neon sign that says everything she's feeling so when she denies it, it feels been there done that.

Pops is not bad, and the Mom is definiely the most developed. She's a good character, and typing this now i know why she looks like a sexually confident mom figure who is brainy. She looks like River Song's actress from Doctor Who.

Fake Smith felt like she was taking away from the story early on. Its like watching a good episode of Power Rangers and then they cut to a scene with Bulk and Skull; just a distraction. I didn't even get her motivation at first. How did she not know, if others fail then it wouldn't be in her best interest to surivive? Everyone's hardwork is indirectly for her. Also there is NO way she spent the whole night outside the cave waiting for the kids to leave. What about the creepy crawlees? The weather?

Anyways I stayed for the world they built which was nice and clearly expensive (Makes you wonder why they cancelled The Get Down :/ ), and the space suits are all around sick, from head to toe. They look like super heroes. I also like the old school "well how will they get outta this one" sciency stuff.

Oh and the hot shot mechanic is funny, but the obvious romance they're leading up to with a girl who is significantly younger than him is wild off-putting.

By the way Hulu has the entire original series if you feel like checking it out. I grew up watching the re-runs on the Sci-Fi channel and have always loved them. Partly why I was so excited for this modern series on Netflix.
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:
    DC: The Flash (Jay & Wally), Starman- Jack Knight, Stargirl, & Shazam!.
    MARVEL: Daredevil, Spider-Man (Peter Parker), & Doctor Strange.

Current Pulls: Not a thing!

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by FlashFreak View Post
    By the way Hulu has the entire original series if you feel like checking it out. I grew up watching the re-runs on the Sci-Fi channel and have always loved them. Partly why I was so excited for this modern series on Netflix.
    So what do you think of the new version? I hated the original and the only thing worse was Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea. This is why I think this version is Awesome!! Of course I'm only 3 episodes in and not binge watching it because I want to savor it having sat through so much bad SF over the years. Coming from an extremely flawed origin I find most of the criticism on this thread to be sheer bunk.

Quote Originally Posted by alton View Post
    So what do you think of the new version? I hated the original and the only thing worse was Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea. This is why I think this version is Awesome!! Of course I'm only 3 episodes in and not binge watching it because I want to savor it having sat through so much bad SF over the years. Coming from an extremely flawed origin I find most of the criticism on this thread to be sheer bunk.
    I LOVED it! I thought it was very well done. The story was great, the cast was great, and it was a great modern adaptation of the original.
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:
    DC: The Flash (Jay & Wally), Starman- Jack Knight, Stargirl, & Shazam!.
    MARVEL: Daredevil, Spider-Man (Peter Parker), & Doctor Strange.

Current Pulls: Not a thing!

I'm 3 episodes in, too. Very good so far. Smith keeps me wondering. As does the robot.
    Original join date: sometime in 2002

I finished it some time ago and really liked it. I thought it was exactly what "Lost in Space" would be if it was done today and seriously rather than in the 1960s. At the same time, ironically, it might have been done very differently were it not trying to stay reasonably true to the original show.

I don't see the arguments about lack of character development since most of the plot was nothing but character development with a threatening situation as a catalyst to bring it about.

I definitely want a second season and they need to do it soon, not wait two years. I don't want the next episode to start and Will Robinson is a teenager.
    Power with Girl is better.