Page 18 of 33 FirstFirst ... 814151617181920212228 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Enzeru View Post
    I wasn't really a fan of that particular idea, but there were a lot of interesting theories regarding the Sentry.

One I really liked was one about Cyclops and Void. Cyclops had a sliver of the Void locked away in his mind and the theory suggested, that the Void-sliver was corrupting him and manipulating him into doing all those questionable things, which he did in the last years. People felt like he was acting very out of character and saw a lot of story potential in the Void forcing him to do all of those things.
    This is a retcon waiting to happen, if one day Marvel decides to bring Cyclops back they can hand wave everything bad he did with "the Void did it". As a Cyclops fan, I must say that I'm not a fan of the idea, basically because Cyclops was right.

Incredible Member

After his run on Moon Knight Lemire should be able to adequately tackle the mental aspect of Sentry plus I've always found the character to have potential for some interesting stories so I'm in for this.

Also it's interesting to see some of the same crowd who chastise other folks for their irrational hatred of certain characters go ballistic because Marvel dares to give Sentry an ongoing...Never change CBR never change.

Quote Originally Posted by classicgmer View Post
    After his run on Moon Knight Lemire should be able to adequately tackle the mental aspect of Sentry plus I've always found the character to have potential for some interesting stories so I'm in for this.

Also it's interesting to see some of the same crowd who chastise other folks for their irrational hatred of certain characters go ballistic because Marvel dares to give Sentry an ongoing...Never change CBR never change.

He really does have a potential for a lot of great stories. But his critics never give him a chance which is why his fans sometimes lash out or act "arrogant" because the Sentry really never was given an open shot in the first place. Especially to grow as a character.

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    The thing is, he's not really much of a Superman knock off. Yeah, they have a lot of the same powers and similar looks, but really Sentry is a very very different character. In a lot of ways, he's as different a character from Superman as you can get. Sentry is a very very messed up character, and that allows for some unique stories under the right writer.

He's a tricky character to use for a variety of reasons, and he might be difficult in an on-going. But his mini's have been pretty good.
    True Hyperion is far more a superman knock off. Of course he was created that way.

Sentry like say Shazam is Supermanish but not a copy. But when you come right down to it most characters are either superman, batman, Flash, or Green Lantern like in broad strokes.

I think a lot of marvel characters are Spider-man. Flash has become Spider-man, as well. I also think that Batman gradually became what T'challa was from the start. thing about Superman analogues is that they, generally, have stronger personalities than the real deal. Clark is a one-note square. the appeal is his powerset; his ability to face all-comers. otherwise, Steve Rogers is far better at being the ideal American. Peter Parker's a better everyman. Tony Stark is what Bruce Wayne could have been, if he had ever been able to grow up. and Doctor Doom is Bruce w/o the idealism.
    Last edited by Michael Watkins; 03-12-2018 at 08:41 PM.

I think that Reed should build a new Universe that some of these characters agree to help repopulate. I'm not necessarily talking about Sentry. but I think someone like Noh-varr or Blue Marvel could make a real difference in another world. there are other characters who could do to being in a less crowded universe, as well (ex. hulk and spider-man variants).

Lemire + Thanos =

Hypothetically, therefore....

Lemire + Sentry =

Quote Originally Posted by Cronus View Post
    Lemire + Thanos =

Lemire + Sentry =
    Yeah. It seems to me that Lemire is convincing people who might not give this a shot to do so otherwise. I'm not super familiar with his prior writing, myself, but I've heard good things about it.

Quote Originally Posted by pageturner View Post
    True Hyperion is far more a superman knock off. Of course he was created that way.

Sentry like say Shazam is Supermanish but not a copy. But when you come right down to it most characters are either superman, batman, Flash, or Green Lantern like in broad strokes.
    The Sentry is more similar to Miracle Man than anyone. The thing that throws people off that makes him seem like a Superman copy is the "S" and that they both fly and are super strong. Sentry is more in the Miracle Man, Dr Manhattan and Captain Atom category of things. I never will understand outside of looks how people see the Sentry similar to Superman. The origins, powers and character personalities are different. Hyperion and Gladiator are very similar to Superman in those three things. Hyperion especially...

Quote Originally Posted by Cronus View Post
    Lemire + Thanos =

Lemire + Sentry =
    After reading his Thanos I can NOT WAIT for the fire he brings with the Sentry! Lemire is just icing on the cake and he can maybe help the comic sell(I mean the first 2 Sentry minis sold well BUT things can be different). Is Lemire quite known as a writer? I only found out about him thanks to the Thanos series. But anyways Lemire can be that writer that can FINALLY fix the Sentry.

He has now written two of my favorite characters in Marvel.

Quote Originally Posted by KidStranglehold View Post
    After reading his Thanos I can NOT WAIT for the fire he brings with the Sentry! Lemire is just icing on the cake and he can maybe help the comic sell(I mean the first 2 Sentry minis sold well BUT things can be different). Is Lemire quite known as a writer? I only found out about him thanks to the Thanos series. But anyways Lemire can be that writer that can FINALLY fix the Sentry.

Sales definitely bumped on Strange after his return. Whether or not that leads to the Sentry's comic book doing well is anyone's guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Tendrin View Post
    Sales definitely bumped on Strange after his return. Whether or not that leads to the Sentry's comic book doing well is anyone's guess.
    I have a theory that Sentry has sleeper fans. And many of them have been waiting for him to return. I have a theory that Sentry is quite well known in the comicbook community. Most of Sentry's fans just aren't as vocal on the internet. We gotta support this book.

Quote Originally Posted by Tendrin View Post

Yeah. It seems to me that Lemire is convincing people who might not give this a shot to do so otherwise. I'm not super familiar with his prior writing, myself, but I've heard good things about it.
    I've read Thanos and Moon Knight by Lemire and here is my opinion on him:

Pros:

+ He writes pretty good dialogue overall. I complain about parts of his dialogue in the cons section, but in general Lemires dialogue is very relatable. Characters say what you would expect them to say. There is no childish dialogue like you often see them from SJW writers. There is also not a lot of unnecessary dialogue during dramatic scenes or fights, which takes you out of the immersion too much.
    + He seems to do his homework and put characters first and then his ideas. Bendis for example had his ideas for the Sentry and simply rolled with them, no matter if it meant that it was out of character for the Sentry or not. He didn't treat the Sentry like a character; he treated him like a mindless weapon. Lemire seems to take character complexity into consideration and writes accordingly.

Cons:

- His dialogue is sometimes very straight forward and to the point. That can be a good thing, but it doesn't encapsule you as much as someone like Stan Lee or Paul Jenkins would be able to do it. Stan Lees dialogue often had this engulfing innocence to it, while Paul Jenkins dialogue makes it feel like there is something super important going on. Lemires dialogue is just there. It's hard to explain.
    - His cliffhangers are terrible in my opinion. In pretty much every issue. There is rarely ever a cliffhanger, which makes you look forward to the very next issue. His cliffhangers are more about the story at all, but I personally believe, that cliffhangers are a part, which makes customers come back. I think that Donny Cates had great cliffhangers during his short run on Doctor Strange. Rick Remender had great cliffhangers during Uncanny Avengers. Hell, I wrote better cliffhangers in my Sentry scripts than Lemire does it for his books.

Quote Originally Posted by Enzeru View Post
    I've read Thanos and Moon Knight by Lemire and here is my opinion on him:

Pros:

+ He writes pretty good dialogue overall. I complain about parts of his dialogue in the cons section, but in general Lemires dialogue is very relatable. Characters say what you would expect them to say. There is no childish dialogue like you often see them from SJW writers. There is also not a lot of unnecessary dialogue during dramatic scenes or fights, which takes you out of the immersion too much.
    + He seems to do his homework and put characters first and then his ideas. Bendis for example had his ideas for the Sentry and simply rolled with them, no matter if it meant that it was out of character for the Sentry or not. He didn't treat the Sentry like a character; he treated him like a mindless weapon. Lemire seems to take character complexity into consideration and writes accordingly.

Cons:

- His dialogue is sometimes very straight forward and to the point. That can be a good thing, but it doesn't encapsule you as much as someone like Stan Lee or Paul Jenkins would be able to do it. Stan Lees dialogue often had this engulfing innocence to it, while Paul Jenkins dialogue makes it feel like there is something super important going on. Lemires dialogue is just there. It's hard to explain.
    - His cliffhangers are terrible in my opinion. In pretty much every issue. There is rarely ever a cliffhanger, which makes you look forward to the very next issue. His cliffhangers are more about the story at all, but I personally believe, that cliffhangers are a part, which makes customers come back. I think that Donny Cates had great cliffhangers during his short run on Doctor Strange. Rick Remender had great cliffhangers during Uncanny Avengers. Hell, I wrote better cliffhangers in my Sentry scripts than Lemire does it for his books.
    'SJW' writers. *sigh* Duuuude.

Quote Originally Posted by KidStranglehold View Post

Even if he does, that being the way it stays isn't a lock.

They pretty well wiped out everything he did in Moon Knight.