Page 31 of 33 FirstFirst ... 2127282930313233 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    I wouldn't worry about it too much. Whoever handles the Sentry after the Scourge series will set the record straight, if not take him into a better direction. Just a hunch.
    What constitutes a "Better..." direction, though?

The follow up to Lemire's Moon Knight run was a serious let down.

While it would be nice to believe that they would keep even a bit of what happened while Lemire was writing, it felt like the very first order of business was to do away with a central element of what Lemire had done.

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    What constitutes a "Better..." direction, though?

The follow up to Lemire's Moon Knight run was a serious let down.

While it would be nice to believe that they would keep even a bit of what happened while Lemire was writing, it felt like the very first order of business was to do away with a central element of what Lemire had done.
    Hey, we agree on something. It felt like the central conceit, one of self-acceptance of inner darkness and wholeness, was immediately thrown out. It's too early to say that's /certain/ and we don't know for sure what's really going on. Right now, it seems like we've got a 'Sentry', and we're assuming its the Void based off visual cues, but it could be more complicated than that.

So we'll have to see.

I do think the Sentry's fan support has, however, grown and that he's a more accepted/popular character now than he was in the decade Bendis was writing him. I think that started with Remender's use of him.
    Last edited by Tendrin; 12-09-2019 at 02:56 AM.

BANNED

It would be terrible if Nova ends up murdering the Sentry or something. Too bad we can't have a lampoon of current MU in the vein of what Grant Morrison did in the Green lantern using hal and Clark through the interaction of Richard and Bob.

Quote Originally Posted by Desmark View Post
    It would be terrible if Nova ends up murdering the Sentry or something. Too bad we can't have a lampoon of current MU in the vein of what Grant Morrison did in the Green lantern using hal and Clark through the interaction of Richard and Bob.
    Grant has been throwing some shots in his GL run and interviews.
    Last edited by Tendrin; 12-09-2019 at 03:00 AM.

Unfortunately, Marvel just doesn't seem like they have plans that big for this corner of things overall.

Seems like most of that brainpower is currently in the "X-Men" corner of things.

When was the last time when that happened? I ask seriously, because, to me, it seems like Marvel have a more tight control over any critic its writers do over their own books.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Early reports are indicating that we're on our way to another deconstruction of the Sentry's origin, yet again, and that this one blows his core concepts apart and to smithereens.

Yay.

Guess we'll see.

Okay, the above sounds like it was an inaccurate take and something /really/ wild sounds like it happens, so... guess we'll see. XD
    Last edited by Tendrin; 12-11-2019 at 06:00 AM.

Fantastic Member

I'm almost afraid to ask...

Astonishing Member

Just going to say right now Silver Surfer meeting Sentry at long last was... interesting and nothing I was expecting at all.

Silver Surfer Annihilation Scourge spoilers.

spoilers:
    So, I have not read it yet but someone sent me a few screenshots of their copy. Silver Surfer meets with Bob Reynolds, who is apparently mortal and dying with the Void having taken all his power with him when he separated. Silver Surfer, in his ghostly state, merges with Bob because Bob best knows how to fight the Void, creating a sort of... Silver...Surfing.. Sentry and it has to be seen to be believed. It looks hilarious.
    end of spoilers

That said, our primary grievance remains: Lemire's work finally set up the character to do something /else/ and they walk it back with this. It's frustrating. Hopefully, they don't trash him again on the eve of his 20th. Hopefully, we'll get back to the red costume at the end of this and Bob will take on a new job and finally actually be Sentrying *something*. Namely, chasing down things from beyond that try to break into our reality like the Many-Angled ones. Dude could actually use a specific superhero job, you know?
    Last edited by Tendrin; 12-11-2019 at 07:43 PM.

'Sup Choom? Handsome men don't lose fights's Avatar

Is it bad that I feel Bob was best utilized way back in Uncanny Avengers? When he was blue and thumping Thor across the universe? That was such a cathartic read.

I always hated that Tony Stark pulled Bob into the first civil war against his will, basically setting up the events that led to his breakdown and manipulation by Norman Osborn. It was great seeing Thor take his lumps, but Tony has a lot of karma stacked up too.
    "A happy ending? So unlikely. We're not having a moment here.

Wrong city, wrong people, all huddling in fear.

No one escapes the slaughterhouse, and that's just where you're at.

(You could've asked Rebecca but then Adam stomped her flat.)

You think you're special cuz you're scrappy? You're deluded, time to go.

Lucy's living on the moon but you're another dead psycho."

Quote Originally Posted by Handsome men don't lose fights View Post
    Is it bad that I feel Bob was best utilized way back in Uncanny Avengers? When he was blue and thumping Thor across the universe? That was such a cathartic read.

I always hated that Tony Stark pulled Bob into the first civil war against his will, basically setting up the events that led to his breakdown and manipulation by Norman Osborn. It was great seeing Thor take his lumps, but Tony has a lot karma stacked up too.
    No, Remender's Death Seed Sentry was a lot of fun. It would be nice to fill in the gap between Death Seed Sentry and Cates' return of him but I doubt there's a huge clamor for it.

Fantastic Member

I have seen the images and that is horrific.

Guess I'll have to reserve judgement until the chips are down and the event wraps up.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Last_Czarnian View Post
    I have seen the images and that is horrific.

Guess I'll have to reserve judgement until the chips are down and the event wraps up.
    I just cracked up as soon as I saw it because it's exactly the kind of ridiculous that can happen only in comics.

One minor grumble...

While I know that "I Have This 'Questionable' Story Idea That Is Going To Involve The Sentry..." is kind of a whole "Thing", I do think that it might be a minor improvement just to stick to this character either being "Cosmic" or not for short stretches.