Page 15 of 33 FirstFirst ... 511121314151617181925 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Tendrin View Post
    It is when, Seriously, the only reason it worked was because he wanted it to. Also, he isn't empowered by the Void. The Void is just Robert, not a more powerful version of him or anything.

Check out Enzeru's link from earlier.
    If I wanted you to kill me with a splash of water, would it be possible? No. Because a splash of water does not have the capacity to take a human beings life. However, if I wanted you to kill me with a gun, that would be possible, as a gun has the capacity to take a humans life. Whether or not he wanted it, a lightning bolt killed Sentry, because a lightning bolt possesses the power to kill him.

Thanos has been seeking death for the majority of his existence, and yet...

Bob and the Void are two separate entities. Stop.

Quote Originally Posted by Harsh Lesson View Post
    If I wanted you to kill me with a splash of water, would it be possible? No. Because a splash of water does not have the capacity to take a human beings life. However, if I wanted you to kill me with a gun, that would be possible, as a gun has the capacity to take a humans life. Whether or not he wanted it, a lightning bolt killed Sentry, because a lightning bolt possesses the power to kill him.
    I know you want it to be true because it makes him seem less powerful and all but let's remember that these characters have abilities that they can turn on and off. It is explicitly stated that the only reason he died is because he wanted to. He allowed the lightning bolt to do the job. We're talking about a guy who flew into the dang sun and didn't die because he didn't want to badly enough just before this happened. You gonna tell me that the sun is less powerful than Thor's lightning? :P

Bob and the Void are two separate entities. Stop.
    This is not precisely true.

I know you want it to be true because it makes him seem less powerful and all but let's remember that these characters have abilities that they can turn on and off. It is explicitly stated that the only reason he died is because he wanted to. He allowed the lightning bolt to do the job. We're talking about a guy who flew into the dang sun and didn't die because he didn't want to badly enough just before this happened. You gonna tell me that the sun is less powerful than Thor's lightning? :P
    Is there an established history of characters turning off their durability that I’m not aware of? I’m not the one emotionally invested in Sentry’s power levels, as I don’t care enough about him to have an opinion one way or the other. It’s just a fact that he was killed by a lightning bolt.

I’m pretty sure it was established in the Uncanny Avengers when he was resurrected by the Apocalypse Twins that Bob and the Void are separate entities. He said it himself, I think, but I’ll have to go back and look. Also, didn’t the Void recently possess Doc Strange?
    Last edited by Harsh Lesson; 03-10-2018 at 10:46 AM.

I'm pretty sure it was established in the Uncanny Avengers when he was resurrected by the Apocalypse Twins that Bob and Sentry are separate entities. He said it himself, I think, but I’ll have to go back and look. Also, didn’t the Void recently possess Doc Strange?
    It's more complicated than that with varying portrayals between writers, of course. Remender has Bob declare that the Void had gotten bored of coming back to life and dying with him over and over by leaving for the 'white hot room'. It is not, however, like Bob was exactly sane at the time, both due to the death seed and the impact of burning to death in the sun willingly over and over in an attempt to stay dead.

The original mini implied that the Void had broken free of him to become more of a separate entity but it's also implied in other works that it's very existence is a delusion created by Bob's vast powers. And Bendis, of course, famously implied it was the angel of death quite inexplicably.

Yeah, it did possess Doc Strange during the Loki arc.

It's complicated and confused and I barely scratched the surface on some of the confusion around it over the years. Hopefully, Lemire can sort a lot of it out. The most important point is that there is a reason the Void stops existing if Bob forgets he's the Sentry.

As for vulnerabilities, yeah, some characters do have powers that turn off and on. Bob's Cary a lot by mental state, of course.
    Last edited by Tendrin; 03-10-2018 at 10:50 AM.

It's more complicated than that with varying portrayals between writers, of course. Remender has Bob declare that the Void had gotten bored of coming back to life and dying with him over and over by leaving for the 'white hot room'. It is not, however, like Bob was exactly sane at the time.

The original mini implied that the Void had broken free of him to become more of a separate entity but it's also implied in other works that it's very existence is a delusion created by Bob's vast powers. And Bendis, of course, famously implied it was the angel of death quite inexplicably.

It's complicated and confused and I barely scratched the surface on some of the confusion around it over the years. Hopefully, Lemire can sort a lot of it out.
    Well, you can’t say something “precisely isn’t true” when there’s valid reasons for people believing Bob and the Void are separate entities.

Astonishing Member

For all the talk of his power, I always felt he underperformed unless he was bumped as the void or death seeded

I really think he lacks feats on panel compared to how powerful he's supposed to be

Which I find a bit irritating to be honest

Quote Originally Posted by kilderkin View Post
    For all the talk of his power, I always felt he underperformed unless he was bumped as the void or death seeded

I really think he lacks feats on panel compared to how powerful he's supposed to be

Which I find a bit irritating to be honest
    I almost think the point of writing Sentry was to find ways to get him to under perform. Because at his peak, nothing short of Galactus would slow this guy down.

It's more complicated than that with varying portrayals between writers, of course. Remender has Bob declare that the Void had gotten bored of coming back to life and dying with him over and over by leaving for the 'white hot room'. It is not, however, like Bob was exactly sane at the time, both due to the death seed and the impact of burning to death in the sun willingly over and over in an attempt to stay dead.

It's complicated and confused and I barely scratched the surface on some of the confusion around it over the years. Hopefully, Lemire can sort a lot of it out. The most important point is that there is a reason the Void stops existing if Bob forgets he's the Sentry.

As for vulnerabilities, yeah, some characters do have powers that turn off and on. Bob's Cary a lot by mental state, of course.
    e vo
    Cyclops had a part of the Void trapped on his mind too. I thin think the Void is similar to one of Legion's personalities.

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

At the end of the day, he was killed by a lightning bolt. Let’s not exaggerate his power levels.
    That reminds me of how Korvac and Carina died back in the classic pages of the Avengers. When will these baddies learn that suicide-by-Mjolnir is not the answer?

Here's a question? Do all of Void's powers count as latent abilities of the Sentry??

From the Marvel wiki

The Void is the black and destructive counterforce and negative aspects of arguably the most powerful of all heroes, the Sentry. It is more of a force than a person but can take any shape it chooses. When talking to and teasing Sentry, it normally uses human form. It is capable of destroying the Earth, if not the entire universe. Robert fights a constant inner battle to keep the Void at bay as it comes into being every time he uses his powers, and is his eternal nemesis born in his own psyche.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    I almost think the point of writing Sentry was to find ways to get him to under perform. Because at his peak, nothing short of Galactus would slow this guy down.
    Maybe so

But I'm still waiting to be impressed to be honest

maybe his new book will do so

Quote Originally Posted by dreyga2000 View Post

Here's a question? Do all of Void's powers count as latent abilities of the Sentry??
    The Sentry has created the Void. The Void is a figment of Sentrys imagination. Everything you see Void do, happens because Sentrys subconscious thoughts took form.
    Everything the Void can do, the Sentry can do in theory as well. He has done so from dispering opponents on a molecular level to simply assaulting their minds with tendrils of darkness.

Maybe so

But I'm still waiting to be impressed to be honest

maybe his new book will do so
    I thought owning the Molecule Man was pretty darn impressive.

But yes, his high end feats are few and far between as he tries not to cut loose most if the time. You see Sentry cut loose through Void.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    I thought owning the Molecule Man was pretty darn impressive.

But yes, his high end feats are few and far between as he tries not to cut loose most if the time. You see Sentry cut loose through Void.
    I thought the molecule man fight flattered to deceive, clearly owens well beyond what he showed here, so he's well undersold

That's a bit of an issue with owen, power fluctuations

it was okay, but knowing what owens actually capacity is it didn't really impressed me

But that's not bobs fault of course

I thought the molecule man fight flattered to deceive, clearly owens well beyond what he showed here, so he's well undersold

That's a bit of an issue with owen, power fluctuations

it was okay, but knowing what owens actually capacity is it didn't really impressed me

But that's not bobs fault of course
    Granted Owens power levels fluctuate ... But I'd argue beating Owen at his own game even when Owen is having a bad day is still a pretty darn impressive feat.