Page 16 of 33 FirstFirst ... 612131415161718192026 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post

Granted Owens power levels fluctuate ... But I'd argue beating Owen at his own game even when Owen is having a bad day is still a pretty darn impressive feat.
    People should also keep in mind that even that weakened Molecule Man was powerful to a point, where he managed to rip someone like the Sentry apart: on a physical level and on a molecular level. That is an insane power display. Someone like Thanos does not have the required power to do something like that. Even that version of the Molecule Man was wielding extremely high cosmic power.

Quote Originally Posted by Enzeru View Post
    The Sentry has created the Void. The Void is a figment of Sentrys imagination. Everything you see Void do, happens because Sentrys subconscious thoughts took form.
    Everything the Void can do, the Sentry can do in theory as well. He has done so from dispering opponents on a molecular level to simply assaulting their minds with tendrils of darkness.
    I thought owning the Molecule Man was pretty darn impressive.

But yes, his high end feats are few and far between as he tries not to cut loose most if the time. You see Sentry cut loose through Void.
    In that case, Sentry/Void's feats are off the charts. I don't think any of the top tier guys could actually take on the Void in a straight fight. Can the Void even be harmed by physical attacks?

Quote Originally Posted by dreyga2000 View Post

In that case, Sentry/Void's feats are off the charts. I don't think any of the top tier guys could actually take on the Void in a straight fight. Can the Void even be harmed by physical attacks?
    Neither Void nor Sentry can really be harmed by physical attacks:

1. In Uncanny Avengers Sentry ripped his own head open to prove a point. You could only see a brain and eyes. Thor then came in and destroyed Sentrys brain, but Sentry immediately regenerated back: https://imgur.com/a/N8CnR
    2. During Siege Void got his head cut off by an amped Captain America and then hit by lightning from an empowered Thor, but he was still alive and killing gods, while regenerating back: https://i.imgur.com/IqnQNaS.jpg

One could say that the Sentry is kinda overpowered and that there is no point to an invincible superhero, but that's not how the Sentry should be approached. When it comes to the Sentry it's more about his mind, since when it comes to his mind he is not as invincible. With the Sentry you have this guy, who could potentially be the most powerful being in the universe, if he wasn't held back by his own struggles... his own humanity.

If we're lucky, then the new writer will take all of that into consideration.

Quote Originally Posted by Enzeru View Post
    One could say that the Sentry is kinda overpowered and that there is no point to an invincible superhero, but that's not how the Sentry should be approached. When it comes to the Sentry it's more about his mind, since when it comes to his mind he is not as invincible. With the Sentry you have this guy, who could potentially be the most powerful being in the universe, if he wasn't held back by his own struggles... his own humanity.

If we're lucky, then the new writer will take all of that into consideration.
    Lemire has my trust. He has rarely let me down, and I think someone like Bob is right up his alley.

And yes, the appeal of the Sentry isn't about his power level, its about his mental state. The entire point of the character is that he's got limitless power......and it's trapped within a very frail and broken, very human, mind. It's not about whether he'll win a fight, it's about whether he can remain sane enough to not blow up the planet when he wins.

I very much hope to see him interact with the Blue Marvel at some point. That's a guy who has shouldered some serious responsibilities and seen some sh*t, and I think he and Bob could have a very interesting dynamic. I mean, if nothing else, Marvel is someone I'd want on the "Bob's gone crazy again" speed dial. Not many other characters have the power to handle Bob on a bad day.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Are people seriously freaking equating the Sentry to freaking Aryan Supremacy!??? Am I on comicbookresource or comicvine?

Anyways, this is the best news I heard all week. It literally just came out of nowhere and took me by surprise. I been waiting for this for YEARS! A Sentry miniseries. But no... We're getting a freaking Sentry ongoing! I know Enzeru(glad you joined btw!!!) considers himself the biggest Sentry fan, then I consider myself his second biggest fan. And to put icing on top its by Lemire who wrote Thanos which I loved. Lemire must've really convinced Marvel since Marvel higher ups have always looked down on the character.

Anyhow... What I want to see is the character done RIGHT finally since Paul Jenkins. Writers like Bendis and writers since him are the reason why obnoxious Marvel fans give the character slack for no reason. Bendis did NOT know how to write a person with schizophrenia... What Bendis wrote was basically a toddler in a adult body. That is NOT how schizophrenic people operate. I know because my mother works around them.

What I want is for the Sentry to be the GOOD GUY once more. But with flaws... His mental issue. People with mental illnesses like schizophrenia are often ignored/neglected by society and sometimes even looked down upon. I want this for the Sentry. I want the Sentry to try and prove(and redeem) himself to not just the heros but the entire Marvel U. Fighting against his inner demons to be the hero he knows he can be. That is how you fix the Sentry character and "Make the Sentry Great Again."

If we get the characterization down for the Sentry finally then the character can expand and then we can clarify his powers more. The Sentry needs to have a defined personality. Because with different writers he has acted different many times. I know people are going to bring up his mental state wavers. And that is true. But even when he is mentally unstable he operates different under different writers. The Sentry was mentally unstable under Pak and Bendis during Dark Reign. And yet he acted differently under those two writers.

Overall, this series the writer Lemire should finally "fix" the character. Or at least make the character more understandable to laymen readers. Lemire can potentially be the Sentry's Christopher Priest. Look at the Black Panther prior to Christopher Priest and you'll know what I mean.

Finally I want the Sentry to be fully "integrated" into the Marvel U(seems like Lemire is hinting that), that way he can not be easily killed off by writers OR WORSE... Kept in limbo. An example would be Wakanda is the most advanced nation in Marvel Earth and is home of Vibranium. And because of that the Black Panther character plays a part in the Marvel U and can not just stay in limbo even if he doesn't have his own solo. I want this for the Sentry. The Sentry NEEDS something to integrate him and have the writers forced to use him. He needs a "role."

The Sentry is a very interesting character especially if done right. This series has lots and lots of potential.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Looks like a film announcement is coming.

Quote Originally Posted by KidStranglehold View Post
    Are people seriously freaking equating the Sentry to freaking Aryan Supremacy!??? Am I on comicbookresource or comicvine?
    It was just one guy.

The Sentry NEEDS something to integrate him and have the writers forced to use him. He needs a "role."
    I agree but I think he already has one that hasn't been fully embraced. He is Earth most powerful hero but they can only call in the most dire of emergencies because of Void. The hero in the glass boss that reads "break in case of the Apocalypse".

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    Looks like a film announcement is coming.
    Why do you think that? The Sentry still hasn't appeared in animated shows or movies.

It was just one guy.
    Oh then my bad. But as a Black guy I do not see the Sentry as a representation of Aryan supremacy but the complete opposite with his mental issues.

I agree but I think he already has one that hasn't been fully embraced. He is Earth most powerful hero but they can only call in the most dire of emergencies because of Void. The hero in the glass boss that reads "break in case of the Apocalypse".
    The "Earth most powerful hero" role is not a solid role and is very loose. Many characters have that role. For example the Sentry should have some type of base where he mentors heros with mental illness and its connected to the Avengers(he doesn't have to be an Avengers team member) and Shield. Something like that. These heros or people with powers get help like a Psychiatric Home but better treatment. Some may say this is like the X-Men... But it doesn't have to be big but small scale. This is just an example.

OR.... He can have a space station around Earth and can be called "Earth's defender" like he called himself when he was Deathseed. These are what I mean when I say "integration." The Hulk is fully integrated because he is connected with Gamma Radiation which is VERY IMPORTANT in Marvel.

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Yes, and mostly because it's just plain fun to point out how many of Marvel's characters who are in the top echelon of their respective bailiwicks have Aryan features. Sorry, I just can't pass up the opportunity to crack a joke at that. It's just too rich!

Slightly off topic, but is Hank Pym still considered the Scientist Supreme, or whatever the title was?

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    Yes, and mostly because it's just plain fun to point out how many of Marvel's characters who are in the top echelon of their respective bailiwicks have Aryan features. Sorry, I just can't pass up the opportunity to crack a joke at that. It's just too rich!

Slightly off topic, but is Hank Pym still considered the Scientist Supreme, or whatever the title was?
    For what it's worth, Loki said that whole thing was a rib. Though the book leaves it up to interpretation.

Why do you think that? The Sentry still hasn't appeared in animated shows or movies.
    There's been a lot of speculation he'll be a phase four character. While I think the Sentry could make a fascinating movie in the right hands, especially the original mini, I just don't see it happening.

Bob'd require someone who can really craft a psychological thriller and mix it up with a superhero movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Tendrin View Post
    There's been a lot of speculation he'll be a phase four character. While I think the Sentry could make a fascinating movie in the right hands, especially the original mini, I just don't see it happening.

Bob'd require someone who can really craft a psychological thriller and mix it up with a superhero movie.
    I think he actually translates better on a TV for Net Flicks or Hulu or whatever. Jamming his backstory into a 2 hour movie would be kinda tough. But I think have some regular mid aged family man with flashbacks of being a super hero I think would translate into a TV show pretty well because it's such a unique hook.

Quote Originally Posted by Tendrin View Post

It that happened then many Superman fans who DISLIKE the Sentry will lose their minds.

But I agree with Xpac that it would translate better as a TV show. But man this would be a dream come true. I did NOT know about this speculation...

Phase 4 MCU Avengers could totes be Sentry, Captain Marvel and Moon Knight. XD

Just to troll DC.