Page 28 of 30 FirstFirst ... 1824252627282930 LastLast
Results 406 to 420 of 441
  1. #406
    All-New Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    20

    Default

    It's like tendrin said - he may still be a bit crazy, but he's more self-actualized now. This is in-line with the very first depictions of him by Jenkins. Bendis made the Sentry a gibbering mess who could barely function outside of his own room and had zero agency. This new Sentry seems to actually be capable of doing things on his own now, which is a huge step forward for the character and a way of washing away the bad taste left by previous characterizations.

  2. #407
    Astonishing Member King_Thor13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    2,290

    Default

    I honestly don't even like Sentry, but followed what was going on anyway. I was glad to see Misty doing something in the series (even if her involvement was somewhat minimal). After the events of issue #5, I think he could be a great character to go up against Donny Cates' Guardians of the Galaxy, which involves powerhouses Gladiator, Silver Surfer and Adam Warlock in some capacity.

  3. #408
    Extraordinary Member Tendrin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    8,815

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by King_Thor13 View Post
    I honestly don't even like Sentry, but followed what was going on anyway. I was glad to see Misty doing something in the series (even if her involvement was somewhat minimal). After the events of issue #5, I think he could be a great character to go up against Donny Cates' Guardians of the Galaxy, which involves powerhouses Gladiator, Silver Surfer and Adam Warlock in some capacity.
    I definitely think this is a possibility. I also don't think the new Sentry is a villain but he'll definitely seems like he'll be pursuing his own agenda that could cause conflict with other heroes.

  4. #409
    Traveler of omniverses Thor-Ul's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Halfway between Asgard & Krypton
    Posts
    2,731

    Default

    But if he goes against them as an antagonist he will be the villian of the story.

    You know, the problem with this ending and what I was guessing spoilers:
    is than Sentry is not the kind of character who can operate in the Marvel earth inconspicuos and he would had to left the earth at the end. And the most interesting part of Sentry was Bob. I doubt than in the space adventures of Sentry Bob would appear.
    end of spoilers
    Internet Rule 14: Do not argue with trolls — it means they win.

  5. #410
    Extraordinary Member Tendrin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    8,815

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Thor-Ul View Post
    But if he goes against them as an antagonist he will be the villian of the story.

    You know, the problem with this ending and what I was guessing spoilers:
    is than Sentry is not the kind of character who can operate in the Marvel earth inconspicuos and he would had to left the earth at the end. And the most interesting part of Sentry was Bob. I doubt than in the space adventures of Sentry Bob would appear.
    end of spoilers
    I mean, it depends on what he's up to. One can be an antagonist without being a villain, after all.

    That said...

    spoilers:
    I agree. Bob is the heart of the story. People have frequently suggested putting Bob in space. I'm not opposed to a Space-Sentry story but I think, unless they can have him hanging out as Actual Bob at their base of operations, you'll lose something. Dad-Bod-Bob needs to appear, even if he's now 'whole' and healthier in some ways since he's no longer running from his darkness.

    I am also wondering about Jenny. Her behavior in the last issue was odd. Really odd, actually. She runs out of the diner. And then she shows up at Scout's? And isn't seen again after her argument with Bob there. The Avengers don't even notice her. What's up with that? What did Lemire actually have in mind for her?
    end of spoilers
    Last edited by Tendrin; 10-25-2018 at 08:08 PM.

  6. #411
    Traveler of omniverses Thor-Ul's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Halfway between Asgard & Krypton
    Posts
    2,731

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tendrin View Post
    I mean, it depends on what he's up to. One can be an antagonist without being a villain, after all.

    That said...

    spoilers:
    I agree. Bob is the heart of the story. People have frequently suggested putting Bob in space. I'm not opposed to a Space-Sentry story but I think, unless they can have him hanging out as Actual Bob at their base of operations, you'll lose something. Dad-Bod-Bob needs to appear, even if he's now 'whole' and healthier in some ways since he's no longer running from his darkness.

    I am also wondering about Jenny. Her behavior in the last issue was odd. Really odd, actually. She runs out of the diner. And then she shows up at Scout's? And isn't seen again after her argument with Bob there. The Avengers don't even notice her. What's up with that? What did Lemire actually have in mind for her?
    end of spoilers
    About the spoiler

    Yes, it was one of the little things than appeared to be rushed, to avoid any cliffhanger.
    spoilers:
    with all his earth ties cut to give him a motive to returnto earthinmany years
    end of spoilers
    Well, it was a good mine. Better than many others Sentry appearances.
    Internet Rule 14: Do not argue with trolls — it means they win.

  7. #412
    Mighty Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    1,997

    Default

    Not sure if this topic is old hat to talk about by now, but am I the only who...

    spoilers:
    ...completely felt bad for Billy/Scout and felt the ending was completely unsatisfying in that regard? Or in general? Billy got screwed over by Bob, up to getting dismembered and disfigured, only to be blamed for it, told he doesn't matter (like that's supposed to mean anything), and then get killed by the same guy who ruined his life? The same guy who completely disregards Jenny calling him out as the monster he really is, as if it was Jenny's hangup and not Bob's own failings that it really is, and then leaves Earth scott-free? With Billy still dead in the middle of the street, with no justice and no recompense?

    Not to mention that it (and this whole mini) completely plays straight Marvel's general tendency to poop on side-kick (or side-kick-esque) characters without a lick of remorse or shame. Billy didn't deserve that. Certainly not for Bob.
    end of spoilers

    ...So, yeah...

  8. #413
    Extraordinary Member Tendrin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    8,815

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by J. D. Guy View Post
    Not sure if this topic is old hat to talk about by now, but am I the only who...

    spoilers:
    ...completely felt bad for Billy/Scout and felt the ending was completely unsatisfying in that regard? Or in general? Billy got screwed over by Bob, up to getting dismembered and disfigured, only to be blamed for it, told he doesn't matter (like that's supposed to mean anything), and then get killed by the same guy who ruined his life? The same guy who completely disregards Jenny calling him out as the monster he really is, as if it was Jenny's hangup and not Bob's own failings that it really is, and then leaves Earth scott-free? With Billy still dead in the middle of the street, with no justice and no recompense?

    Not to mention that it (and this whole mini) completely plays straight Marvel's general tendency to poop on side-kick (or side-kick-esque) characters without a lick of remorse or shame. Billy didn't deserve that. Certainly not for Bob.
    end of spoilers

    ...So, yeah...
    spoilers:
    Well, yeah. Here's the thing: Bob felt bad, pretty obviously from the way he apologized to him. I think that was legitimate -- but I also think it's heavily implied that the serum was killing him and a merciful end was the best Bob could do for him at that point. Jenny didn't see the way Billy was disintegrating in front of Bob, for example, panel by panel as his skin sloughed off his bones. He was at that point held together only by the serum's conferred durability. Billy is a casualty of the Sentry to an extent, but let's not remember that he ultimately made his own choices. Given a taste of power, he felt that living the normal life was a 'death sentence' in and of itself. Twisted by envy and nostalgia and addiction to power of his own, he took the same risk the Sentry took to achieve his powers: drinking an untested serum in the hopes to get high, only in his case, the power was the high. So, yeah, I feel bad for Billy... but that sympathy is tempered by his actions in the mini and the fact that he was trying to murder Bob for the sake of his own path to prestige and adulation. All of this would've had a lot more meaning if Billy had been previously developed further. Billy just got too close to the sun and melted. We are, after all, talking about a guy who felt he was ultimately entitled to be better than others.

    Honestly, my theory in the opening issues was that Cranio touched Billy's mind and saw that this wouldn't end well, and was gonna betray him by doing what he'd said he'd never do, and then Bob would lock SentryBilly in Sentry world, where he'd get exactly what he wanted while facing the terror of the Void again and again. I was wrong, of course, but I thought this was good too.
    end of spoilers

    I'm betting that if Lemire had gotten to continue his story, Jenny would have turned out to be that Professor's niece that Billy was talking about in issue #3. She knows where he lives, after all.
    Last edited by Tendrin; 10-27-2018 at 11:09 PM.

  9. #414
    Mighty Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    1,997

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tendrin View Post
    spoilers:
    Well, yeah. Here's the thing: Bob felt bad, pretty obviously from the way he apologized to him. I think that was legitimate -- but I also think it's heavily implied that the serum was killing him and a merciful end was the best Bob could do for him at that point. Jenny didn't see the way Billy was disintegrating in front of Bob, for example, panel by panel as his skin sloughed off his bones. He was at that point held together only by the serum's conferred durability. Billy is a casualty of the Sentry to an extent, but let's not remember that he ultimately made his own choices. Given a taste of power, he felt that living the normal life was a 'death sentence' in and of itself. Twisted by envy and nostalgia and addiction to power of his own, he took the same risk the Sentry took to achieve his powers: drinking an untested serum in the hopes to get high, only in his case, the power was the high. So, yeah, I feel bad for Billy... but that sympathy is tempered by his actions in the mini and the fact that he was trying to murder Bob for the sake of his own path to prestige and adulation. All of this would've had a lot more meaning if Billy had been previously developed further. Billy just got too close to the sun and melted. We are, after all, talking about a guy who felt he was ultimately entitled to be better than others.

    Honestly, my theory in the opening issues was that Cranio touched Billy's mind and saw that this wouldn't end well, and was gonna betray him by doing what he'd said he'd never do, and then Bob would lock SentryBilly in Sentry world, where he'd get exactly what he wanted while facing the terror of the Void again and again. I was wrong, of course, but I thought this was good too.
    end of spoilers

    I'm betting that if Lemire had gotten to continue his story, Jenny would have turned out to be that Professor's niece that Billy was talking about in issue #3. She knows where he lives, after all.
    spoilers:
    I dunno... I gotta say that the whole "you never mattered" part kinda dumps on any sincerity Bob may have shown with that after-the-fact. And honestly, that's still an unsatisfying end to play it that the serum was killing Billy "anyway" so he gets screwed out of that and Bob gets an, again, unsatisfying "free pass" for killing Billy, essentially finishing off what he started when he ruined Billy's life.

    Likewise, saying Billy made his choices is worthless bitter snake-oil medicine and feels too much in the vein of the victim blaming the book largely, and Bob pretty much in his entirety outside one line delivered later as almost an afterthought, puts Billy through. Again, it is an entirely unsatisfying conclusion to the whole thing that this was done so, in my opinion. Especially with how it is juxtaposed with Bob supposedly becoming this whole, better version of himself, as he really shows he very much isn't.

    I feel the mini went too hard making Billy out to be this twisted figured that only deserves a limited amount of sympathy but that otherwise "deserved" what he got -- getting dumped on by Bob after getting dumped on by Bob, while Bob is shown as not twisted but simply tragic and therefore deserving of all the reader's sympathy. It got to the point where Billy ends up becoming completely sympathetic and Bob the reverse. The ending, once more, really sold this discrepancy home, which is why it ended up being so very unsatisfying for me.
    end of spoilers

  10. #415
    Extraordinary Member Tendrin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    8,815

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by J. D. Guy View Post
    spoilers:
    I dunno... I gotta say that the whole "you never mattered" part kinda dumps on any sincerity Bob may have shown with that after-the-fact. And honestly, that's still an unsatisfying end to play it that the serum was killing Billy "anyway" so he gets screwed out of that and Bob gets an, again, unsatisfying "free pass" for killing Billy, essentially finishing off what he started when he ruined Billy's life.
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    I'm not saying Billy didn't get screwed. He did. Bob screwed him up, but Billy also screwed Billy up by clearly feeling that he deserved better. Ultimately, he and Cranio are too middle aged white guys who feel entitled to more meaningful lives 'just because'. That makes them sympathetic -- because who doesn't want more -- but their villainy felt real to me, but I mean, what else is Bob supposed to do? Fixing Billy may be outside his power, but then, we don't know that. Like I said, I have a feeling if Lemire had gotten to continue, that wouldn't have been the last we'd seen of Billy.
    end of spoilers

    spoilers:
    Likewise, saying Billy made his choices is worthless bitter snake-oil medicine and feels too much in the vein of the victim blaming the book largely, and Bob pretty much in his entirety outside one line delivered later as almost an afterthought, puts Billy through. Again, it is an entirely unsatisfying conclusion to the whole thing that this was done so, in my opinion. Especially with how it is juxtaposed with Bob supposedly becoming this whole, better version of himself, as he really shows he very much isn't.
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    I can't agree. It's not victim blaming. Billy might've had a point if he wasn't simultaneously responsible for everything that happened in the comic by backing Bob into this corner in the first place and /plotting to murder him/ so he could be the new Sentry.
    end of spoilers

    spoilers:
    I feel the mini went too hard making Billy out to be this twisted figured that only deserves a limited amount of sympathy but that otherwise "deserved" what he got -- getting dumped on by Bob after getting dumped on by Bob, while Bob is shown as not twisted but simply tragic and therefore deserving of all the reader's sympathy. It got to the point where Billy ends up becoming completely sympathetic and Bob the reverse. The ending, once more, really sold this discrepancy home, which is why it ended up being so very unsatisfying for me.
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    We live in an era of entitled dudes thinking they deserve more than they have and are better than others. I think you're supposed to see Billy's POV and sympathize with him to an extent -- I certainly did -- but that he had also crossed lines. Bob, you sympathize with, but also have to fear what he's become by the end of the issue. It's hard to know anything about what he's going to do. There's a mixture of arrogance, grandiosity, narcissism and empathy and it's all really unsettling -- which is not an accident. It's supposed to be unsettling and I think it was well done in that sense. Bob did acknowledge his role in breaking Billy early on, but there's only so much dialogue they can fit in in the final issue. Some of your points, I think, are fair but a result of it being a last issue that wasn't necessarily intended to be one.
    end of spoilers



    [spoil]

  11. #416
    Ultimate Member numberthirty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    17,117

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tendrin View Post
    spoilers:
    I can't agree. It's not victim blaming. Billy might've had a point if he wasn't simultaneously responsible for everything that happened in the comic by backing Bob into this corner in the first place and /plotting to murder him/ so he could be the new Sentry.
    end of spoilers
    In addition to that...

    spoilers:
    Billy seemingly is aware that, while Bob is managing, he doesn't really have everything completely under control. Billy's plan seems to turn a willingly blind eye to the sort of potential damage that a desperate Bob coming unhinged could create. He is just banking on "Best Case Scenario" creating a situation where there is a clean transfer of power without any potential collateral damage.
    end of spoilers

  12. #417
    Extraordinary Member jackolover's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    9,490

    Default

    I don’t know why all the spoiler tags. We’re talking hypertheticals here.

    I think Billy is crazy.

    We never saw the story of how Bob drew Billy and Sentry-girl, and Sentry-dog to him to form the Sentry family, but they were dragged into the drama of Sentry-Void. Anybody that had the misfortune to have Bob Reynolds make them his family, was in for a world of crazy and hurt. None of the Sentry world (as created by Paul Jenkins in 2000) that Bob created was sane. I think tragically, Billy was a victim of that insanity right there, and with the latest series, I can well understand if Marvel Universe characters got caught up in the Sentry World family, they were going to be bitter and twisted, just like Bob.

  13. #418
    Ultimate Member numberthirty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    17,117

    Default

    Interested Parties...

    The Sentry that this title left off with is seemingly back in the "Black Panther And The Agents Of Wakanda" title that just started up.

    Not sure if that fact is common knowledge.

  14. #419
    Fantastic Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Posts
    499

    Default

    If it is him. I somehow thought he was going to be a force behind incoming however if he rates just the Agents of Wakanda B Listers even after his latest super Saiyan power up then no big things are coming for the Sentry in forecast. Looks like same old same old. Too bad.

  15. #420
    Spectacular Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    110

    Default

    Sentry is my favourite Marvel character. If he is brought back just to play villain again after Lemire's work on the character, then maybe it is time to just put the Sentry away. This is not a progression at this point. Guess we'll have to see how this pans out though.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •