Page 32 of 33 FirstFirst ... 22282930313233 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    One minor grumble...

While I know that "I Have This 'Questionable' Story Idea That Is Going To Involve The Sentry..." is kind of a whole "Thing", I do think that it might be a minor improvement just to stick to this character either being "Cosmic" or not for short stretches.
    I think the contrast between the mediocrity of Bob's day to day life nd the Sentry's high flying adventures are thematically important to the character. He really does require a grounded approach. Too many authors have previously ignored this facet of the character to focus on his Awesome Cosmic Power instead of his Itty Bitty Living Space.

Fantastic Member

And the Beta Ray Bill issue seems to add further insult to injury.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Last_Czarnian View Post
    And the Beta Ray Bill issue seems to add further insult to injury.
    I dunno. I thought he looked pretty badass in that one. Dude tore a hole in space with his bare hands and trashed yet another Asgardian powered hero :P

I don't know how define the header of this article.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Quote Originally Posted by Thor-Ul View Post
    I don't know how define the header of this article.
    Related article for folks who might come across the thread in the near(or far) future...

https://www.cbr.com/marvel-silver-su...ampaign=CBR-TW

Marvel's Two Strongest Superheroes Have Merged Into a HUGE Cosmic Threat

Related article for folks who might come across the thread in the near(or far) future...

CBR Staff: quick! We need speculative articles for clickbait!

CBR writer: WORD COUNT GO

CBR articles on the Sentry have typically just been bad.

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

That's hilarious, considering the real "huge cosmic threat" is Bob's true other half.
    “True peace is not merely the absence of tension; it is the presence of justice.”
    ~Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

“If I love you, I have to make you conscious of what you don’t see.”
    ~James Baldwin

will the Sentry ever not turn out to be evil deep down? seems like that's the recurring theme whenever he is reintroduced. I wish they'd just let him be good. The Void can be completely separate.

Without the Void, the Sentry is just an agoraphobic Superman-wannabe. It is that trait, that quality of a time-bomb what makes the character interesting.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Without the Void, the Sentry is just an agoraphobic Superman-wannabe. It is that trait, that quality of a time-bomb what makes the character interesting.
    I don't know. I'm kind of tired of the Jekyll and Hyde trope, to be honest. But maybe...maybe if they tweaked it? To borrow from Tarantino, maybe if the Void always existed, ever the sole, dominant, core entity and the embodiment of "the tyranny of evil men." And maybe if Bob was merely the Void's construct, a manifestation of its abstract light (its noble conscience jettisoned) given life? Maybe if Bob was really just the Void trying "real hard to be the shepherd", knowing all the while that he's really just a kabuki mask? Maybe.
    “True peace is not merely the absence of tension; it is the presence of justice.”

~James Baldwin

Fantastic Member

I would just like Sentry to actually be the legendary hero is is supposed to be, for a while. As a sufferer of similar afflictions to Bob, it would be nice to not have (similar to Wanda) the continual connotation that mentally ill equals dangerous.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Last_Czarnian View Post
    I would just like Sentry to actually be the legendary hero is is supposed to be, for a while. As a sufferer of similar afflictions to Bob, it would be nice to not have (similar to Wanda) the continual connotation that mentally ill equals dangerous.
    Here here. Also, do away with the notion that to be mentally ill is also to be weak of will. Bob was never supposed to be weak of /will/. If he was, he'd never have been able to make the world forget him in the first place. Even the strongest willed people can be addicts, can be mentally ill. It isn't about willpower.

I couldn't disagree with that notion more. Even without the Void, the Sentry is still an immeasurably powerful and flawed man, a man who's inability to talk about his illness and the crushing weight of power he held (and to be fair, others inability to talk about with him) and to find the words to describe what he was suffering from, lead to catastrophe not just for himself, but for others. At the end of the original mini, it wasn't just about forgetting the past to save the world, it was also about letting go of what he thought his future was supposed to be and the man he thought he'd become in favor of the man he actually was. That, too, is part of healing from mental illness.

His power is such that any particular thing, any delusion he starts to believe, can actually become real. He's a man with a /lifetime/ of experiences that nobody knows about, and he can't even be sure how much of it happened, and how much of it is his disassociation and memory loss from being broken into pieces.

There's a /lot/ you can do with the Sentry without just replaying the same version of his inner conflict over and over again.
    Last edited by Tendrin; 12-16-2019 at 09:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tendrin View Post
    There's a /lot/ you can do with the Sentry without just replaying the same version of his inner conflict over and over again.
    No doubt, which is why I'm disappointed with his treatment in Annihilation: Scourge. Of all of the stories that could be told, here we go again with another Void vs. Bob snoozer. That's so not the story that I'd write if I had a cast of the FF, Annihilus, Blastaar, Silver Surfer, Sentry, Beta Ray Bill and Nova to use as I more or less please.

~James Baldwin

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    No doubt, which is why I'm disappointed with his treatment in Annihilation: Scourge. Of all of the stories that could be told, here we go again with another Void vs. Bob snoozer. That's so not the story that I'd write if I had a cast of the FF, Annihilus, Blastaar, Silver Surfer, Sentry, Beta Ray Bill and Nova to use as I more or less please.
    I keep telling Marvel they need to do a new Academy style book and have the Sentry as one of the teachers in a John Forbes Nash like role. Let him be the experienced hero he's supposed to be, and helping usher in a more mental-health aware generation.

Were it the merged Sentry, I would totally have him using both aspects of his persona to help educate.

Quote Originally Posted by Tendrin View Post
    I keep telling Marvel they need to do a new Academy style book and have the Sentry as one of the teachers in a John Forbes Nash like role. Let him be the experienced hero he's supposed to be, and helping usher in a more mental-health aware generation.

Were it the merged Sentry, I would totally have him using both aspects of his persona to help educate.
    Knowing Marvel, what you'd get is, "Behold! I am the Void. And I am here to test you!!! But first, we shall do some stretching exercises where you will learn to bend over and kiss your sweet arses goodbye. Muhahahahaha!"

~James Baldwin