Page 4 of 33 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by kilderkin View Post
    Could not stand that entire period of marvel
    I wish that it were still going on (but w/ someone other than Bendis storytelling).

Actually, I don't care.

why the hell aren't we getting Blue Marvel

Astonishing Member

This one i am not sure.
    Usually i am not so inclined to read comic book stories about over powered characters but Sentry can be writen as over powered and still be writen with major flaws.Plus is writen by Jeff Lemire(He wrote Old Man Logan that was awesome)
    So while this is not a must read comic book as Immortal Hulk,i will be for sure looking for more info(previews and reviews) before i decide if Sentry is another comic book i will start to collect as well.

Marvel does not need and is actually lessened by superman's knock offs.

Hard pass.

As some folks have said...

It's Sentry/Lemire. That is a potential winner.

Astonishing Member

This is so tough to choose if i will collect it or not,while i want to read new comic books by Lemire i am still over the fence about Sentry.
    Sentry potentially can be interesting,but can be dull as well,with him being all over powered and such.
    Decisions,decisons.lol

The Sentry? Is he getting a movie? Marvel most have a movie in the works. Nothing wrong with that. Marvel has a lot of characters and a lot of movies to make.

Quote Originally Posted by Haquim View Post
    Marvel does not need and is actually lessened by superman's knock offs.

Hard pass.
    I'm good with it as long as we're also getting rid of Batman knockoffs *cough* doom *cough*

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    but it would be just as realistic to portray Sentry in a way that occupies the middle ground. he can, literally, be anything they want him to be (because of those vastly different portrayals). I still think they could explain most of it away as the Void believing himself to be his old nemesis the Sentry. there's nothing preventing them being two separate entities.
    But what even is the middle ground between those two things?

A hero that is "more or less" hyper-violent and weak-willed, "more or less" shilled and pushed by editorial? I don't see that as an improvement

Truth is, the only constant on his "personality" is the fact that he is crazy, and this is too little, basically nothing. Other than the void, who are his villains? Without using Google, how much of us know the name of his wife?

Bendis gave him the personality of an unstable edgelord, Remender gave him the personality of a hammy edgelord, Cates gave him the personality of an easy-going, happy-go-lucky guy All in all, he doesn't even have a personality of his own. It changes with each writer.

Can we honestly say that we know the person behind the powers? Or is the character just the "power of a thousand suns", whatever that means?

Quote Originally Posted by The Ray View Post
    But what even is the middle ground between those two things?

A hero that is "more or less" hyper-violent and weak-willed, "more or less" shilled and pushed by editorial? I don't see that as an improvement
    middle ground is him being a regular guy burdened with incredible power. a hero who has to constantly keep their own power in check can be interesting. it would also be fun to explore his weaknesses. he's also relatively unexplored. that, in itself, is story potential. his power is basically matter manipulation (if the fight with Molecule Man is to be believed). he might not be mentally ill. but his subconscious was enhanced with the rest of him; bringing problems into being for him to fight. they could get real weird with it; animal man or legion style.

Truth is, the only constant on his "personality" is the fact that he is crazy, and this is too little, basically nothing. Other than the void, who are his villains? Without using Google, how much of us know the name of his wife?
    his deceased wife is Lindy Reynolds. Bullseye stabbed her and threw her into the ocean. how could you forget the name Lindy? we've seen a few of his villains in the side stories. some weren't given names. but I remember one that looked like the fighting irish mascot. and there was a clown of some sort. there's the general. and the Void, of course. I'd love to see more of the gangster Void. they could bring back the Mastermind Sisters. the Inhumans are fair game. Count Nefaria. field's wide open.

Bendis gave him the personality of an unstable edgelord, Remender gave him the personality of a hammy edgelord, Cates gave him the personality of an easy-going, happy-go-lucky guy All in all, he doesn't even have a personality of his own. It changes with each writer.
    Bendis isn't very creative.

Can we honestly say that we know the person behind the powers? Or is the character just the "power of a thousand suns", whatever that means?
    here's a chance to get to know him. what's "peak human" again?
    Last edited by Michael Watkins; 03-06-2018 at 05:14 PM.

Invincible Member

Jeff Lemire's involvement is what's got me semi-interested. It's on hiatus, but he was doing a great series at Dark Horse called Black Hammer that offered a unique and somewhat emotionally mature look at silver and bronze age heroes. I hope that's the sensibility that he brings to this project. If it's just "angsty Superman in the MU" then it'll be a waste of time.

Incredible Member a moment closer's Avatar

I'm excited about this one. Sentry has been one of my favorites since day one. Lemire does his best work on solo characters. Can't wait to see his take on the balancing act between Bob and the Void.

BANNED

middle ground is him being a regular guy burdened with incredible power. a hero who has to constantly keep their own power in check can be interesting.
    Okay, but... isn't that Superman?

And doesn't Superman have the advantage of being way more fleshed-out, having a way more developed setting, with a way bigger cast of supporting characters and a way bigger catalog of stories that explore this very subject?

What does Sentry bring to the table other than being "Superman but crazy and unstable"?

how could you forget the name Lindy?
    Easily. She is not exactly the best love interest out there.

we've seen a few of his villains in the side stories. some weren't given names. but I remember one that looked like the fighting irish mascot. and there was a clown of some sort. there's the general. and the Void, of course. I'd love to see more of the gangster Void.
    Then the majority of his villains don't even have a name?

here's a chance to get to know him.
    Fair.

what's "peak human" again?
    "Peak human" is not the core of the characters that are "peak human". Both Captain America and Batman are peak human, but we know so much of them that they being peak human is a mere detail. What the characters are is more important than what the characters can do.

Sentry isn't much beyond what he can do. He is the man with the "power of a thousand suns", but take that away from him. What is he now? A junkie? A violent, stoic man? A hammy, flamboyant guy? A happy-go-lucky dudebro? A melancholic angsty man?

18 years since his creation, and we still don't know what should be the core of his character. I consider that very problematic.

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    Man Marvel just will not let this mess of a character die will they. Do they really have that bad of Superman-envy that they have to keep trying to make there Superman knock off happen? Outside of the first mini series it seems like no one has liked anything about this character. All the forced retcons sliding him into every major heroes life just has not worked.
    This is how I feel.

Marvel should just let somethings die off. I was almost sure we where close to being done with this guy but no here he is again like a STD.
    Idea's Open Discussion And Growth. Silencing Idea's Confirms Them To Be True In The Minds Of Those Who Hold Them. The Attempt Of Eliminating Idea's Proves You To Be A Fool.

Okay, but... isn't that Superman?
    these comparisons to dc characters mean nothing. he is as dissimilar to Clark as Moon Knight is to Batman.

And doesn't Superman have the advantage of being way more fleshed-out, having a way more developed setting, with a way bigger cast of supporting characters and a way bigger catalog of stories that explore this very subject?
    only because he has been around a long time. he has been developed and redeveloped several times. and a lot of his earlier stories wouldn't entertain a 5 year old, now. supporting characters can be created.

What does Sentry bring to the table other than being "Superman but crazy and unstable"?
    1) he can interact with Captain America, the Fantastic Four, Iron Man, etc.

2) there's nothing that you can do to Sentry that his fans can point to as out-of-character/sacrilege.