Page 6 of 33 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by danielsan52 View Post
    Bring Scout back. Repowered.
    One of the biggest flaws with the approach to the character is that pretty much everything outside of Lindy was ignored by Bendis, and Lindy he barely used and then fridged.

let's be real. did anyone really like Lindy? I felt bad for her being condemned to the life of a prisoner. but she wasn't all that interesting or sympathetic before Dark Reign. maybe they could have Robert meet Zarda.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    let's be real. did anyone really like Lindy? I felt bad for her being condemned to the life of a prisoner. but she wasn't all that interesting or sympathetic before Dark Reign. maybe they could have Robert meet Zarda.
    Let's be real. Were we ever really given a reason to do so? Bob's supporting cast was barely utilized at all. Very little CLOC, no Watchdog, no Scout, the psychiatrist that he was supposedly seeing never appeared again outside of Jenkins' mini. They weren't used. At all. And that's not even getting into the lack of development Bob himself received amidst Marverl's bumbling attempts to figure out what they actually wanted to do, Bendis' poor handling of mental illness and poor characterization and misunderstanding of the character. And back to Lindy, well... she was just used for Bendis to revise the character's origin /yet again/ and make it even worse than before, when not acting terrified or practically catatonic with fear. And that scene with Bullseye? Ugh. Bullseye is one of those characters who just needs to find a grave and frigging stay in it.

I think much of the see-sawing had to do with not being sure how to create a version and vision of the characters that more conservative fans would accept.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tendrin View Post
    Let's be real. Were we ever really given a reason to do so? Bob's supporting cast was barely utilized at all. Very little CLOC, no Watchdog, no Scout, the psychiatrist that he was supposedly seeing never appeared again outside of Jenkins' mini. They weren't used. At all. And that's not even getting into the lack of development Bob himself received amidst Marverl's bumbling attempts to figure out what they actually wanted to do, Bendis' poor handling of mental illness and poor characterization and misunderstanding of the character. And back to Lindy, well... she was just used for Bendis to revise the character's origin /yet again/ and make it even worse than before, when not acting terrified or practically catatonic with fear. And that scene with Bullseye? Ugh. Bullseye is one of those characters who just needs to find a grave and frigging stay in it.

I think much of the see-sawing had to do with not being sure how to create a version and vision of the characters that more conservative fans would accept.
    Bendis and mental illness. The gift that keeps on giving. Think what he did with Sentry was bad? His Moon Knight was worse.

Quote Originally Posted by Somecrazyaussie View Post
    Bendis and mental illness. The gift that keeps on giving. Think what he did with Sentry was bad? His Moon Knight was worse.
    Never read it. After his mishandling of the Sentry, down to the offensively bad suicide by cop because things had gone 'as far as they could' ending for a story about a guy with schizophrenia, why would I?

As someone who has a severe anxiety disorder, I just wanted to scream at his treatment of the character's maladies. :P

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    I'd actually like it if Moon Knight was at least a semi-regular guest star. They have a bit of history together, and an insane version of the Worlds Finest is kinda fun.
    I had no idea they had a history. But I like the way you think. One of the Nighthawks stepping in as another pseudo-Batman would work too. Though it's kinda in your face

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

I'll pass. Never had any interest in the Sentry.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

I mean I did wonder why they brought him back out of nowhere.
    Trademark/rights lapse probably.
    Idea's Open Discussion And Growth. Silencing Idea's Confirms Them To Be True In The Minds Of Those Who Hold Them. The Attempt Of Eliminating Idea's Proves You To Be A Fool.

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ra-El View Post
    How funny is that Lemire will write the Sentry, that is kind of similar with Superman at the same time he is doing The Terrifics at DC, that is kind of a Fantastic Four?
    At least half ( so far) of the DC Dark Matter titles are subtle twists on Marvel archetypes.

Quote Originally Posted by DragonsChi View Post
    Trademark/rights lapse probably.
    Doubtful. For one, he was in Remender's Uncanny Avengers, then contest of champions, and has been utilized in other areas as well.

No, the reason he came back seems to be totally the child of Donny Cates and Lemire is running with it. I'm guessing the sales boost once word got out that the sentry was returning in Doctor Strange 382, which went back to second printings and such, combined with whatever Lemire's pitch was did that.

Doubtful. For one, he was in Remender's Uncanny Avengers, then contest of champions, and has been utilized in other areas as well.

No, the reason he came back seems to be totally the child of Donny Cates and Lemire is running with it. I'm guessing the sales boost once word got out that the sentry was returning in Doctor Strange 382, which went back to second printings and such, combined with whatever Lemire's pitch was did that.
    To keep the rights of a “title” in terms of publication a company has to put out that title every few years or risk loosing it. The name could be used in other books/media but a comic titled “Sentry” or whatever else it may be would be lost to whoever scooped it up. I’m not saying that this is what is happening to Sentry, since I’m not certain what year it was when the last title was published with his name on it, but it could be the case.

The Trademarking of comics is why quiet a few books have come out that have been head scratchers.
    Idea's Open Discussion And Growth. Silencing Idea's Confirms Them To Be True In The Minds Of Those Who Hold Them. The Attempt Of Eliminating Idea's Proves You To Be A Fool.

BANNED

the main difference between Superman and sentry according to the bendis

Quote Originally Posted by DragonsChi View Post
    To keep the rights of a “title” in terms of publication a company has to put out that title every few years or risk loosing it. The name could be used in other books/media but a comic titled “Sentry” or whatever else it may be would be lost to whoever scooped it up. I’m not saying that this is what is happening to Sentry, since I’m not certain what year it was when the last title was published with his name on it, but it could be the case.

The Trademarking of comics is why quiet a few books have come out that have been head scratchers.
    I'm aware. I'm just saying that he's already seen recent use so I don't think that's the reason why. I don't think that trademark requires that the character have his own book, just be in active use. His last active series was, what, Age of trhe Sentry in...2008?

iMan 42s

I don't know why but I'm weirdly into this. A mentally damaged superhero can actually do a lot of good for a narrative. Showing what things are and how the hero wants them to be conveyed through art sounds great.
    -----------------------------------
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.

Quote Originally Posted by King_Thor13 View Post
    I had no idea they had a history. But I like the way you think. One of the Nighthawks stepping in as another pseudo-Batman would work too. Though it's kinda in your face
    They don't have a lot of history, but it's there. And they do surprisingly have a bit in common.

Marvels Worlds Finest.

sentry.jpg

And along with Carol, marvels trinity.

a2e22148653431b9a5e9cc266b6cd49f--ms-marvel-marvel-comics.jpg