Page 7 of 33 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Awesome, I love the Sentry.
    Pull List:

Marvel Comics: Venom, X-Men, Black Panther, Captain America, Eternals, Warhammer 40000.
    DC Comics: The Last God
    Image: Decorum

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tendrin View Post
    Doubtful. For one, he was in Remender's Uncanny Avengers, then contest of champions, and has been utilized in other areas as well.

No, the reason he came back seems to be totally the child of Donny Cates and Lemire is running with it. I'm guessing the sales boost once word got out that the sentry was returning in Doctor Strange 382, which went back to second printings and such, combined with whatever Lemire's pitch was did that.
    Was the one in contest of champions a different universe one?

I liked him

Here's the thing: Don't care about Sentry, one way or the other, but Lemire and Jacinto? That's tempting...

Quote Originally Posted by Bl00dwerK View Post
    Here's the thing: Don't care about Sentry, one way or the other, but Lemire and Jacinto? That's tempting...
    Though I don't completely follow this advice myself, I know a lot of my friends tend to follow creative teams over characters. The rationale being if you like the writer, then he'll likely create stories and characters you like.

Again, I don't necessarily do that myself... but it makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    Though I don't completely follow this advice myself, I know a lot of my friends tend to follow creative teams over characters. The rationale being if you like the writer, then he'll likely create stories and characters you like.

Again, I don't necessarily do that myself... but it makes sense.
    Same here. There are some characters I follow no matter what and sometimes that can be part of the problem.
    "We live in a world of cowards. We live in a world full of small minds who are afraid. We are ruled by those who refuse to risk anything of their own. Who guard their over bloated paucities of power with money. With false reasoning. With measured hesitance. With prideful, recalcitrant inaction. With hateful invective. With weapons. F@#K these selfish fools and their prevailing world order." Tony Stark

Quote Originally Posted by kilderkin View Post
    Was the one in contest of champions a different universe one?

I liked him
    It was the version from 'Age of the Sentry'.

Mighty Member

The Sentry that appeared in Ewing's "Contest of Champions" was an alternate Sentry.

Visually, he resembled the faux-silver age Sentry from "Age of the Sentry. But, dialogue established that he was from an alternate timeline. (He did not remember fighting/killing Ares in "the Siege". And, one of his monologues implied that the "Contest" Sentry was actually the Void, who had absorbed the Sentry and the latter's personality.)

For purposes of copyright and trademark maintenance, it does not matter which universe/dimension/whatever the character is from.
    Current pull-file: Batman the Detective, Batman: Legends of the Dark Knight, Marvel Dark Ages, Nightwing, Superman Son of Kal-El, Transformers, Transformers: King Grimlock, Warhammer 40,000 Sisters of Battle
    -----------------------------
    - http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    I'm surprised that he doesn't care; given that he was forced to sacrifice himself to save Asgard from the Sentry.
    That was actually his rather glorious plan though - Loki WANTED Asgard to be nearly destroyed, so that it would change (in the absence of Odin, of course, at the time) and he himself wanted to be "rewritten" so that he could be more than he had been previously.

The JMS/Early Gillen *VILLAINOUS* Loki was absolutely fantastic! Always three steps ahead of everyone, always with an ace in the cards - he pretty much made fools of the entirety of all the heroes and villains in the MU during that era.

There's a reason that version of Loki scared even Dr. Doom, you know...

BTW: Review that Loki, and you will find that he pretty much achieved EVERYTHING he wanted... those events caused Asgard to become Asgardia, and Loki to be able to be seen as the hero of his stories - it's wonderfully meta as well, in that way. (especially when one takes into account the most recent Loki Agent of Asgard volume as well)
    Last edited by L.R Johansson; 03-07-2018 at 01:02 PM.

Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

I'll flip through it just because I like Jacinto's art. But I have NO love for Sentry. Just a terrible character.
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

BANNED

Why him? Yikes. Is there a new Silver Surfer series coming?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEsta View Post
    Why him? Yikes. Is there a new Silver Surfer series coming?
    I think if you are legitimately trying to have a Fresh Star (which I think is a pretty lame name), you likely need at least a few characters which will make people ask "why him?"

I will definitely be checking this out.

I really enjoyed the first Sentry mini, and while I think Marvel went a little overboard fitting him into all the other major IP's and events, I love the idea of the forgotten hero. And his dynamic as/with the Void, being his own arch-nemesis.....it's a really fun, fairly unique concept.

And Lemire is always worth a shot, even if I haven't loved everything he's done.

The only truly bad thing about the Sentry was what Bendis did with him. And that dude's gone from Marvel.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Spectacular Member

Could've sworn I read that Lemire signed exclusive with DC? I guess not. Anyway so excited. Dig his Green Arrow, Moon Knight, Old Man Logan, Thanos, Descender, Royal City, and Black Hammer. And excited to pick up the first issue of The Terrifics and Gideon Falls. Lemire's just great.
    Floppies as of November: Adventures of the Super Sons, Batman, Catwoman, The Green Lantern, Black Panther, Dead Man Logan, Domino, Exiles, Iceman, Immortal Hulk
    Digital as of November: Daughters of the Dragon, Iron Fist: Phantom Limb, Jessica Jones, Luke Cage.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    2) there's nothing that you can do to Sentry that his fans can point to as out-of-character/sacrilege.
    True, Sentry (and the Void) aren't so much characters as they are plot devices.

Like its only a matter of time before the Void ruin everything for the Sentry. Its what the Void does.

And its only a matter of time before the Sentry ruins everything for the general MU, because that what the Sentry does.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tendrin View Post
    It was the version from 'Age of the Sentry'.
    Is that not the same one from seige and death seed sentry