Page 8 of 33 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast
    Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    I think if you are legitimately trying to have a Fresh Star (which I think is a pretty lame name), you likely need at least a few characters which will make people ask "why him?"
    We already know "Why him?" Those strong "Aryan" features and he's (not coincidentally) one of the most powerful individuals in the Marvel Universe. Couple this with Thor returning, and the base must be totally geeked right now. Making Marvel FRESH Again.

Quote Originally Posted by Tendrin View Post
    I'm aware. I'm just saying that he's already seen recent use so I don't think that's the reason why. I don't think that trademark requires that the character have his own book, just be in active use. His last active series was, what, Age of trhe Sentry in...2008?
    Actually, it does. If a company owns the trademark to a “title” that “title” has to be in use after so many years or they risk loosing the “title”. Sentry can still be called Sentry all day but Marvel couldn’t put out a title called Sentry if some other company grabbed the title due to the trademark lapse.

Which is why you can find some characters at marvel and dc with the same name without conflict. Unless either company trademarks the whole shabang and makes said name distinctively theirs ergo DC couldnt create a character names Spiderman with spider powers. But they could create Spider Joe with amazing Fencing skills or something random that didn’t infrindge on Marvel selling Spiderman
    Last edited by DragonsChi; 03-07-2018 at 05:01 PM.
    Idea's Open Discussion And Growth. Silencing Idea's Confirms Them To Be True In The Minds Of Those Who Hold Them. The Attempt Of Eliminating Idea's Proves You To Be A Fool.

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    We already know "Why him?" Those strong "Aryan" features and he's (not coincidentally) one of the most powerful individuals in the Marvel Universe. Couple this with Thor returning, and the base must be totally geeked right now. Making Marvel FRESH Again.
    He's powerful, but he's also a mess. I don't think he'd be anyone's poster boy for aryan supremacy. In fact, if this comic was announced a year earlier I'm sure there'd be videos about how SJW Marvel is insulting straight white men again.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post

I think that's a reach

If that's what they wanted, they would have had him in a solo years ago ongoing when he had more heat in avengers and at his introduction

And thor never left, he's just looking more thor like with a hammer, blinged out for sure, so not such a good luck imo

And it's worth remembering that by comparison, adams had more exposure in recent years, been in 2 team books, mighty avengers and ultimates2

Sure I want more of him, but bob getting a solo ongoing is by definition different to the previous state

And I don't think it's a bobs here so no room for adam situation

Personally I want adam all over marvel, but a bob solo ongoing is new if nothing else

I'm not that into it, but it is different
    Last edited by kilderkin; 03-07-2018 at 06:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kilderkin View Post
    Is that not the same one from seige and death seed sentry
    No, it's not. It's an alternate universe version.

Siege Sentry was main MU Sentry's swan song. Death seed Sentry was his initial resurrection. after that, he was gone until Doctor Strange #382.

Age of the Sentry was an alternate universe version.

(Age of the Sentry was also a LOT of fun.)
    Last edited by Tendrin; 03-07-2018 at 07:45 PM.

More eldritch than thou Venomous Mask's Avatar

I wonder if there's a rematch (as in, actual fight) with Carnage in the mix.
    "I should describe my known nature as tripartite, my interests consisting of three parallel and disassociated groups; a) love of the strange and the fantastic, b) love of abstract truth and scientific logic, c) love of the ancient and the permanent. Sundry combinations of these strains will probably account for my...odd tastes, and eccentricities."

Siege Sentry was main MU Sentry's swan song. Death seed Sentry was his initial resurrection. after that, he was gone until Doctor Strange #382.

Yeah, Age of Sentry was a dun book. Really I think all the Sentry mini's were good. That's why I'm hopeful for this Sentry book.

BANNED

I think if you are legitimately trying to have a Fresh Star (which I think is a pretty lame name), you likely need at least a few characters which will make people ask "why him?"
    It's a waste of marketing and money. Nobody asked for this guy to return..his bully gimmick with Osborn and run away from big threat fights(Nate Grey returning) got real old real fast .

Quote Originally Posted by Venomous Mask View Post
    I wonder if there's a rematch (as in, actual fight) with Carnage in the mix.
    I mean, that'd be fun but I can't imagine it'd go any better for Carnage than it did the first time. Besides, the symbiote is busy with Norman Osbourne right now over in Spider-Man.

Yeah, Age of Sentry was a dun book. Really I think all the Sentry mini's were good. That's why I'm hopeful for this Sentry book.
    Yeah, most of Sentry's solo stuff was pretty solid.

The original mini was fantastic. People talk a lot about the hammier parts (which were there!) but it also was also a solid commentary on addiction and mental illness and society's reaction to them.

The second min was largely enjoyable but laid the unfortunate foundation for Bendis' subtle-as-a-brick take on the character, so I'd label it as an enjoyable misfire.

Age of the Sentry just shows that the character has actual legs and be used in a variety of ways. It was colorful, zany silver age dozed with a high creep factor.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEsta View Post
    It's a waste of marketing and money. Nobody asked for this guy to return..his bully gimmick with Osborn and run away from big threat fights(Nate Grey returning) got real old real fast .
    Yet, this thread is full of people who are happy with it.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEsta View Post
    If you want to create new stars, you have to push guys who aren't stars yet. And that's not an exact science. Sometimes it works, but most of the time it doesn't.

I'm sure there were people asking why Jessica Jones has her own book, and today she's got her own TV show. If you throw enough stuff against the wall, sooner or later something will stick.

More eldritch than thou Venomous Mask's Avatar

I mean, that'd be fun but I can't imagine it'd go any better for Carnage than it did the first time. Besides, the symbiote is busy with Norman Osbourne right now over in Spider-Man.
    Well Go Down Swinging is gonna be over soon, and because of the Venom movie, I'm sure that the symbiote will be back with Kasady. While I'm sure Sentry could still beat Carnage, Carnage has manifested a number of new abilities over the last few years, like expanding his symbiote to turn others into slaves, not to mention his Darkhold powers. It would be interesting to have an arc where he infects Sentry and has him do his bidding for a few issues before Sentry breaks free. Given the themes of mental illness surrounding both Sentry and Carnage, there could be an additional layer beyond just the superhero stuff.
    "I should describe my known nature as tripartite, my interests consisting of three parallel and disassociated groups; a) love of the strange and the fantastic, b) love of abstract truth and scientific logic, c) love of the ancient and the permanent. Sundry combinations of these strains will probably account for my...odd tastes, and eccentricities."

Ask yourself these three questions, if you can't decide if you want to give the Sentry a try or not:

Do I love the Marvel universe?
    If you do, then you should read up on the Sentry and also buy his upcoming solo series.
    I've once read a great quote, which said that the Marvel universe is full of heroes, who are flawed as hell, but still trying to do the right thing. If you like Punisher, Wolverine and hell even Spider-Man, then you should read up on the Sentry and also buy his upcoming solo series. I mean, I mentioned Spider-Man... And in Spider-Man we have a stand-up guy, one would assume... but he was still selling pictures of his alter ego to the newspapers to make money. He was afraid to face certain foes like Venom. He quit being Spider-Man over and over and over again, but in the end of the day, he still did the right thing.

Do I want to read a comic about a schizophrenic reality warper, whose very thoughts and nightmares become reality?
    Because that's who the Sentry is in a nutshell. Sentry comics are about a regular guy with a bunch of problems, like you and me, but who is also in posession of actual godlike powers. Not every person could handle those powers well. And in the Sentry you have someone, who tries his best to deal with his mental health issues and the responsibility he has. Unlike Superman, the Marvel universe doesn't protect Sentry from any actual problems or harm. Sentry has to face those. He had to deal with them in the past and it wasn't easy. And he will probably have to deal with them in a couple of months as well.

Do I like the writer and the artist?
    I personally have always only followed characters. I don't follow writers or artists. But some of you do and that's a good thing. If you think that Jeff Lemire has what it takes to turn a piece of rock into a diamond, then by all means follow his Sentry run.

As the biggest Sentry fan on the internet, I can tell you that there is an insane amount of stuff you can do with a Sentry solo series. There is so much depth to that character that you wouldn't even believe it.

Astonishing Member

I see, thanks for the clarification

Though I don't completely follow this advice myself, I know a lot of my friends tend to follow creative teams over characters. The rationale being if you like the writer, then he'll likely create stories and characters you like.
    Not to mention the artist will at least make it look good. Knowing Marvel, though, Jacinto will do three issues and then somebody else will take over. I really hate it when they do that.