Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Incredible Member

I liked Thor 3 a little better than Batman and Robin (imo, probably the worst comic book film ever made). A lot of the humor fell flat for me. Considering the situation, they laid it on way too thick. I wont deny there was some very cool stuff in the movie though.

Quote Originally Posted by NeathBlue View Post
    That was a crap moment, but hasn’t it been said somewhere since that it wasn’t actually Jimmy but an agent there in the guise of being the photographer?
    You could say that it was really Martian Manhunter who shape-shifted into Jimmy Olsen and he wasn't really dead because the bullet phased through his head. But according to Zack Snyder, that was Jimmy Olsen,

Quote Originally Posted by Marvel/DC Fan View Post
    I liked Thor 3 a little better than Batman and Robin (imo, probably the worst comic book film ever made). A lot of the humor fell flat for me. Considering the situation, they laid it on way too thick. I wont deny there was some very cool stuff in the movie though.
    Batman & Robin was watchable just for the pure stupidity and how over the top it was. Like watching a train wreck. For me Batman Forever was even worse because it seemed like Schumacher had pretensions of
    making a good movie that was a sequel to the Burton movies but it just ended up being boring it was so bad. With Batman & Robin he just gave up and went for making it as ridiculous as possible.
    Haven't seen Thor: Ragnarok, but I get the idea that making it that way was a result of the poor reception of the first two Thor movies, something like how Batman & Robin was the response to Batman Forever.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post
    You could say that it was really Martian Manhunter who shape-shifted into Jimmy Olsen and he wasn't really dead because the bullet phased through his head. But according to Zack Snyder, that was Jimmy Olsen,

Batman & Robin was watchable just for the pure stupidity and how over the top it was. Like watching a train wreck. For me Batman Forever was even worse because it seemed like Schumacher had pretensions of
    making a good movie that was a sequel to the Burton movies but it just ended up being boring it was so bad. With Batman & Robin he just gave up and went for making it as ridiculous as possible.
    Haven't seen Thor: Ragnarok, but I get the idea that making it that way was a result of the poor reception of the first two Thor movies, something like how Batman & Robin was the response to Batman Forever.
    I recently watched Burton's Batman 1 all the way through on Netflix and couldn't believe how stylistically pretentious it was and how slavishly it adhered to the extreme camp of Doziers take. It wasn't that he was making a bad film but that it was hopelessly mired in recreating pop schlock. Everything from Keaton's wooden recreation of Adam West. The Nicholson over exaggerated Joker and the Godawful Prince tunes. The fact that the movie did as well as it did is surprising because it is as stridently awful as Schumacher's final Batman was. Where was Schumacher supposed to go after any of the previous films? What were WB/DC thinking?

when you start a thread stating how much you hate something and trash talking the tremendous effort that went into a good movie, there's really not much to discuss with you
    I have a high art. I wound with cruelty those that wound me

I haven't watched Thor 3 yet, not because I don't like the Marvel movies or Thor, honestly I think I'm just suffering from Marvel fatigue. Since Dr. Strange I just haven't been that excited. Thor just didn't draw me in and I must say I have zero interest in Black Panther. I watched the trailer for Infinity War and it didn't even give me goosebumps like it should have. I'll watch them all eventually but as of right now... I'm just burnt out.

As for DCEU their movies have had their flaws but I have really enjoyed them. Justice League was amazing even with its flaws, even thought my buddy insist on telling me how wrong I am. DCEU needs to can Zach Synder and their currently writing team and honestly I think after Infinity War that Marvel should take a break. That's just me though.

Quote Originally Posted by FlashFreak View Post
    On the DCEU, I think they receive more critism and hate because of the MCU. In a world without the MCU the movies that DC has put out probably would have been seen as better films. I personally like MOS, BVS, and JL, (WW does not need defending) would I have done things differently? Of course, but I don’t think they are as bad as most people make them out to be. That’s just me!
    I will say they failed to stand up against the majority of the strong and well done MCU films.

It’s also a similar case for the Thor films and even the Iron Man sequels. They are fine, but nothing special and fail to stand up against the rest of the MCU because of the quality that Marvel has been putting out.
    Heck most of my favorite MCU films are considered their “mediocre” films as I love the hell out of Ant-Man, Doctor Strange, and Spider-Man Homecoming.
    Tru. If it wasnt for the MCU, MOS and even BvS would bej ust like Burtons batman, a take on the characters for the silver screen that some people would like and others not, but i doubt this vitriolic hate would exist

I even wonder how the Nolan trilogy would do if itcame out today, considering that is far from the MCU formula. Hate for me this, but i dont think thats healthy, we need variety of the genre will get old at some point
    Last edited by TheSeaDragon; 03-07-2018 at 03:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MaximaCoita View Post
    when you start a thread stating how much you hate something and trash talking the tremendous effort that went into a good movie, there's really not much to discuss with you

lol. Looks like dilsike one single movie of the almighty MCU is a heresy. Geez

Quote Originally Posted by TheSeaDragon View Post
    lol. Looks like dilsike one single movie of the almighty MCU is a heresy. Geez
    No idea how you got from point a to point b, there. Just saying OP seems to have wanted to make a single statement about something he dislikes and thought it needed an entire thread to say it.
    I have a high art. I wound with cruelty those that wound me

Quote Originally Posted by MaximaCoita View Post
    No idea how you got from point a to point b, there. Just saying OP seems to have wanted to make a single statement about something he dislikes and thought it needed an entire thread to say it.

maybe it didnt needed a thread, but the opinion itself is valid, just as the one of people who considers the DCEU trash

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Nah, Thor 3 was more competently made and had better special effects than most of the DCEU movies. That's not saying much when comparing it to the likes of JL or SS. I enjoyed MOS despite it's flaws, and think Wonder Woman is a better movie, but that's pretty much it.

Thor 3 is a bit underwhelming in it's own right though. It's entertaining as an action comedy, but why the hell is a movie with the word "Ragnarok" in the title a comedy? It was like two movies slapped into one, with the comedic tone of the Game Master plot overwhelming everything else in what should have been a serious story. Why the **** is Surtur being played for laughs? Can't anything be legitimately threatening anymore?

As weak as some parts of the third act of WW were, at least it treated its subject matter more seriously when it was warranted. I think that's more important that Thor 3 having better special effects.

This is probably the most discussion Thor 3 has had since The Last Jedi came out. It's a better GotG film than GotG2 at least.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Heavunion View Post
    The DCEU at least tries to stay true to their characters.
    Uh, so Batman all of a sudden doesn't care about using guns or killing people? And Superman has to be told why humanity is worth saving by a random priest?

Ragnarok reminded me about those awful films Epic Movie, Disaster Movie, Meet the Spartans, etc. I can't for the life of me understand why it was so liked but more power to those who do, what was really disappointing was reading the reviews. Stuff like " THIS is how a superhero movie should ALWAYS be" or " EVERY movie of this genre should aspire to be like THIS ONE, because superheroes are DUMB characters and should not be taken seriously".

Both DC & Marvel have their silly moments for their characters but Ragnarok was like watching them mock it, kick it to the ground and piss on it. If making Thor a knucklehead is what finally made people think he is interesting, they are really missing out. Same for the GOTG movies, Gunn and co. should thank God the general audience have not read a damn of the GOTG runs before the film, did it have funny moments? Of course, they weren't at the expense of the characters though.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeeguy91 View Post
    Uh, so Batman all of a sudden doesn't care about using guns or killing people? And Superman has to be told why humanity is worth saving by a random priest?
    Keaton and Burton Batman killed, hey, he killed in cold blood, and the first one was a hit, is just rhat there was not some cool trendy thing , like the MCU is, to cmpare it against , it was just judged as an alternate take on a character

also, i wish for the day people understand that the not kill rule literally exist to keep usin popular villains

Aso, the snyder movies have a lot of flaws, most of them because WB rushed a sahred universe, but i like a Superman who struggles and cant just rewind time with a Fly and erase all his problems with a kiss. He wants to do good, in a flawed world, i find it relatable

Quote Originally Posted by ultrarider7 View Post
    Ragnarok reminded me about those awful films Epic Movie, Disaster Movie, Meet the Spartans, etc. I can't for the life of me understand why it was so liked but more power to those who do, what was really disappointing was reading the reviews. Stuff like " THIS is how a superhero movie should ALWAYS be" or " EVERY movie of this genre should aspire to be like THIS ONE, because superheroes are DUMB characters and should not be taken seriously".

Both DC & Marvel have their silly moments for their characters but Ragnarok was like watching them mock it, kick it to the ground and piss on it. If making Thor a knucklehead is what finally made people think he is interesting, they are really missing out. Same for the GOTG movies, Gunn and co. should thank God the general audience have not read a damn of the GOTG runs before the film, did it have funny moments? Of course, they weren't at the expense of the characters though.

THANK YOU

The MCU is the cool thing, and i think they are safe at least until Infinity way, since it close a cycle, but once the trend gest old , and dont thell me that will not happen, and once they need to start re casting nig names, the reviews maybe will not be this glowing anymore, and in the long term, the super hero genre would be damages Fandom just dont see it like this because theya re glad that comic movies are a cool thing