Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Default What do we know about Bendis' MOS mini?

I know he plans to have a villain be responsible for Krypton's destruction. But what else do we know? Does this replace SO? Has any new information been released about it?
    Assassinate Putin!

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

-Bendis finished writing it earlier this year
    -The official description is "This series will shake up the classic story of Krypton’s final days and Kal-El’s path to becoming an iconic hero"
    -Rogul-Zarr is the name of the villain, who has a very deep connection to Krypton and Superman that Superman didn’t know about. This secret will really gets under Supes’ skin.
    -The villain gets introduced in the 10 page story Bendis has in Action 1000 next month
    -Hal Jordan will appear in one of the issues
    -Based on covers, expect flashbacks
    -Will set the status quo up for Bendis' run on AC and Superman
    -Artists are Ivan Reis, Evan “Doc” Shaner, Ryan Sook, Kevin Maguire, Adam Hughes and Jason Fabok.

All of this is from the Forbes interview announcing him being on Superman & the recent Syfy interview he did. Hope that helps. Also nothing so far contradicts it from Secret Origins, but I wouldn't be surprised if we get some changes.
    Last edited by DragonPiece; 03-06-2018 at 09:00 PM.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

I don’t think it will be replacing Secret Origins since Superman Reborn already made it clear that that story had been mixed in with other bits and pieces from Morrison, Waid, Byrne and more into a “greatest hits” version of Superman history. Presumably, Bendis will simply be expanding upon that and fleshing out that buffet-style approach to continuity for Man of Steel to establish a foundation for his own run.

Replacing in this case I think will be kinda a relative term. What Jurgens did after Superman Reborn, when he had those aftermath issues that reflected on the new timeline, was hit certain Secret Origin basic beats. But very general beats without much detail. So there's lots of empty space as things are currently constructed for Bendis to work with and if he wants to make changes to the original SO story, it won't actually be in contradiction to anything established right now because so little IS established right now. And I do anticipate him showing some things that are different from SO. That might be enough to constitute a replacement for some. For me it won't because so much of SO is already undocumented in regards to this current continuity. I wouldn't see it as contradicting because there's not a lot there right now to contradict.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Yep, what you guys said. Bendis also said from the start he isn't trying to reboot, so they makes it clearer it's not going to be a brand new origin, but just building on other past stories.

I'm curious to see either way the level of changes, as I've theorized that the combination of Bendis's unanticipated arrival and Doomsday Clock's massive delay might have had a dramatic effect on Superman's future by way of not being tied to Johns' ideal anymore. MOS could be a window into whether there's any legs to that or not. If there's more changes than anticipated to the basic SO model it could be a sign that that Bendis was given some pretty big slack.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    I'm curious to see either way the level of changes, as I've theorized that the combination of Bendis's unanticipated arrival and Doomsday Clock's massive delay might have had a dramatic effect on Superman's future by way of not being tied to Johns' ideal anymore. MOS could be a window into whether there's any legs to that or not. If there's more changes than anticipated to the basic SO model it could be a sign that that Bendis was given some pretty big slack.
    100% with you on being interested in any potential changes, I get excited at any piece of new news we get. But I still don't think Doomsday Clock will be changed to the point of really affecting Johns story. If he plans on having Manhattan revive the ma and pa kent, it makes no sense for Bendis to bring them back. With all of his story plans, he has too much going on to waste time on them anyways.
    Last edited by DragonPiece; 03-07-2018 at 05:27 PM.

The idea that we're stuck between either Johns running the direction or Bendis getting so much leeway that he can drive the direction......

That's scary.

Do they even employ editors at DC anymore? Or do they just use spell-check and throw a name on the cover so we readers remain confused?
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    The idea that we're stuck between either Johns running the direction or Bendis getting so much leeway that he can drive the direction......

That's scary.

Do they even employ editors at DC anymore? Or do they just use spell-check and throw a name on the cover so we readers remain confused?
    Well.. Johns is both the President and CCO

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Thank you all for your responses. I have no doubt that MOS changes some things. The cover shows a distinctly different ship from the one used in SO. I just wondered if there were any other significant changes that had been announced. I assume they are keeping some of the most basic elements such as Lana being in on his secret. But there are some questions that are still remaining. Such as his history as Superboy. I don't expect his actual history as Superman to be changed. I also don't expect this to be a hard reboot in the New 52 sense.
    Assassinate Putin!

BANNED

Please correct me if I'm remembering wrong/heard wrong/crazy.

Bendis' interview seems to heavily suggest that DiDio has a publishing plan of sorts (tied to the 80s somehow) that's going to be employed in the coming year and beyond.

DiDio went after Bendis and apparently had a "new direction" for the Superman titles in mind, which seemed to appeal to Bendis.

We know some titles are being canceled, more than just those in the Superman corner of the DCU.

Johns was clearly in charge of the thematic and publishing side of Rebirth. There were rumors that Johns had a group of editors/creators loyal to him and that DiDio did as well, though Johns was calling the shots while DiDio (and Lee IIRC) were not as directly involved.

Doomsday Clock is now delayed and there's more work for Johns at DC Films. This seems to be the result (speculative) of workload issues, but it could also be more. We may not know the full story, but it could be that rewrites are involved in DiDio is now in a stronger position of authority than during the Rebirth era.

There have been rumors of a Crisis-type event, allegedly with King involved.

If all or even some of this is true, are we looking at DiDio calling for Doomsday Clock to be rewritten in places to accommodate his new plans? This would also have the effect of sidelining what was pushed as a massive event (Watchmen sequel) in favor of Bendis on Superman and whatever DiDio's plans are.

I know that DiDio wasn't solely responsible for the New 52, but he was responsible for a good deal of it, most egregiously, the removal of superhero relationships and marriages.

This could very well mean that Johns' plans for Superman (the central character to Doomsday Clock's story, per early interviews) have been rewritten or jettisoned entirely. The thought that DiDio's bizarre hatred for happy superheroes and an unproven Bendis could combine to yet again alter Superman for the worst is beyond unsettling.

You're right on Bendis talking about a plan of Didio's hearkening back to the 80s. What exactly that is he doesn't say. So they're definitely collaborating on something and right now an educated guess would be that it will have to do heavily with Superman. So all those things considered, along with Bendis' arrival to DC and taking over of the Superman line being entirely unexpected, and Doomsday Clock receiving its ridiculous delay, I think means that as far as Superman goes, Doomsday Clock isn't going to define his future anymore. Johns' guiding hand over Superman seems to be done, and I'm anticipating whatever he had planned for Superman for Doomsday Clock will indeed be drastically altered or altogether dropped in terms of consequences coming out of the story.

That said, I don't think that necessarily means Superman's role (whatever the hell it is) in Doomsday Clock or anything else is up to change. Probably just that the consequences coming OUT of it will be changed. Or, perhaps more accurately, for Superman there will be no consequences from that story as he's moving in a wholly new direction now.

And frankly I'm glad for that if it all turns out true because Johns is absolutely terrible with Superman. Its not a conincidence that by far the most popular book of the Rebirth era, Tomasi/Gleason's Superman, rarely if ever dealt with anything regarding overarching Rebirth themes after the introductory arc. Its also no coincidence that Jurgens' start on Action was incredibly rocky when he on the other hand had to deal with all that bullcrap until Reborn came around. If what Bendis has in mind fails, it certainly can't be much worse than Johns' crappy influence on the character. I know what I get with Johns on Superman. I don't know what I'll get with Bendis. So I'll take that chance.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 03-08-2018 at 07:24 PM.

BANNED

You're right on Bendis talking about a plan of Didio's hearkening back to the 80s. What exactly that is he doesn't say. But yes, I think as far as Superman goes, Bendis has the keys, and he might be answering directly to Didio otherwise. Johns' guiding hand over Superman seems to be done, and I'm anticipating whatever he had planned for Superman for Doomsday Clock will indeed be drastically altered or altogether dropped in terms of consequences coming out of the story.

That said, I don't think that necessarily means Superman's role (whatever the hell it is) in Doomsday Clock or anything else is up to change. Probably just that the consequences coming OUT of it will be changed. Or, perhaps more accurately, for Superman there will be no consequences from that story as he's moving in a wholly new direction now.

And frankly I'm glad for that if it all turns out true because Johns is absolutely terrible with Superman. Its not a conincidence that by far the most popular book of the Rebirth era, Tomasi/Gleason's Superman, rarely if ever dealt with anything regarding overarching Rebirth themes after the introductory arc. Its also no coincidence that Jurgens' start on Action was incredibly rocky when he on the other hand had to deal with all that bullcrap until Reborn came around. If what Bendis has in mind fails, it certainly can't be much worse than Johns' crappy influence on the character. I know what I get with Johns on Superman. I don't know what I'll get with Bendis. So I'll take that chance.
    Johns hasn't worked on Superman in over a decade. You don't therefore really know what you get with Johns on Superman or what his plans were for the character in Doomsday Clock. People change, especially over large periods of time. That's why I'm willing to give Bendis the benefit of the doubt since he's gone through a number of changes just since leaving Marvel.

I also feel it important to note that Johns is probably the only person on the executive level that gets Superman and what makes him work. He didn't feel the need to gut the character through deconstruction (David Goyer) or toss out critical elements to make him "more appealing" (DiDio, Yang) for people who already dislike the character as he is. You may not have enjoyed Johns' work on Superman, but it was nonetheless a faithful adaptation of the character.

Its not been ten years. Its only been just under four years. Johns had his New 52 run on Superman with Romita Jr. I found that run extremely underwhelming as well, with his whims with the character being largely the same things that have always irritated me about his takes, so I have absolutely no reason to think whatever he might have had planned for him going forward would be anything my speed. I have enough knowledge of his work to form the opinion that he's not for me when it comes to Superman.

As far as the executive end of things? I only half agree. I don't think anyone on the executive level, Johns included, gets Superman. If this was all Didio I'd be freaking out just as much as I do when Johns sticks his nose in this franchise. But at the very least he's not writing this. Could Bendis flop as far as I'm concerned? Sure, anything can happen. But I'm hopeful.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 03-08-2018 at 07:32 PM.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    100% with you on being interested in any potential changes, I get excited at any piece of new news we get. But I still don't think Doomsday Clock will be changed to the point of really affecting Johns story. If he plans on having Manhattan revive the ma and pa kent, it makes no sense for Bendis to bring them back. With all of his story plans, he has too much going on to waste time on them anyways.
    Given how old school and classic Bendis's tastes tend to be, I can't imagine he'd want to bring back the Kents in the first place. The entire concept of them being alive into his adulthood is a relatively small part of his history. It only existed between 1986 to 2011. That's only 25 years out of the eight decades that Superman's been around.