Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Default What do we know about Bendis' MOS mini?

I know he plans to have a villain be responsible for Krypton's destruction. But what else do we know? Does this replace SO? Has any new information been released about it?
    Assassinate Putin!

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

-Bendis finished writing it earlier this year
    -The official description is "This series will shake up the classic story of Krypton’s final days and Kal-El’s path to becoming an iconic hero"
    -Rogul-Zarr is the name of the villain, who has a very deep connection to Krypton and Superman that Superman didn’t know about. This secret will really gets under Supes’ skin.
    -The villain gets introduced in the 10 page story Bendis has in Action 1000 next month
    -Hal Jordan will appear in one of the issues
    -Based on covers, expect flashbacks
    -Will set the status quo up for Bendis' run on AC and Superman
    -Artists are Ivan Reis, Evan “Doc” Shaner, Ryan Sook, Kevin Maguire, Adam Hughes and Jason Fabok.

All of this is from the Forbes interview announcing him being on Superman & the recent Syfy interview he did. Hope that helps. Also nothing so far contradicts it from Secret Origins, but I wouldn't be surprised if we get some changes.
    Last edited by DragonPiece; 03-06-2018 at 09:00 PM.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

I don’t think it will be replacing Secret Origins since Superman Reborn already made it clear that that story had been mixed in with other bits and pieces from Morrison, Waid, Byrne and more into a “greatest hits” version of Superman history. Presumably, Bendis will simply be expanding upon that and fleshing out that buffet-style approach to continuity for Man of Steel to establish a foundation for his own run.

Replacing in this case I think will be kinda a relative term. What Jurgens did after Superman Reborn, when he had those aftermath issues that reflected on the new timeline, was hit certain Secret Origin basic beats. But very general beats without much detail. So there's lots of empty space as things are currently constructed for Bendis to work with and if he wants to make changes to the original SO story, it won't actually be in contradiction to anything established right now because so little IS established right now. And I do anticipate him showing some things that are different from SO. That might be enough to constitute a replacement for some. For me it won't because so much of SO is already undocumented in regards to this current continuity. I wouldn't see it as contradicting because there's not a lot there right now to contradict.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Yep, what you guys said. Bendis also said from the start he isn't trying to reboot, so they makes it clearer it's not going to be a brand new origin, but just building on other past stories.

I'm curious to see either way the level of changes, as I've theorized that the combination of Bendis's unanticipated arrival and Doomsday Clock's massive delay might have had a dramatic effect on Superman's future by way of not being tied to Johns' ideal anymore. MOS could be a window into whether there's any legs to that or not. If there's more changes than anticipated to the basic SO model it could be a sign that that Bendis was given some pretty big slack.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El