Page 1 of 41 1234511 ... LastLast
    hate cant reach you here Harpsikord's Avatar

Default X-Men Red #2 Spoilers and Review

It's that time again folks! Not gonna be as in depth as last time.

- The issue starts with the preview.
    - From there, Jean explains Gentle's power and who he is to Gabby - he's one of the strongest mutants in the world, and could probably go toe to toe against the Hulk. Too bad his power hurts him.
    - Afterward a Wakandan guard gets Jean and tells her they THINK she got a message. They take her... somewhere and explain that they got a message through a public Wakandan server, but they can't open it because it wants Jean's... bank password? Of all things? Turns out that it's Trinary, and that the reason that she was in trouble in the first place is that she hacked a few Indian banks, and sort of, uh - fixed the pay disparity between men and women? She's kind of awesome. She asks Jean to save them.
    - Of course, they gotta be careful in India, because if they're caught then they could be extradited back to the states - does that mean they aren't going? Nah. Cut to Delhi where Jean, Kurt, Gabby, and Laura are tracking the man from the preview, whose name is Lackshay Singh, the head of the mutant defense force in India. Jean leads him into an alleyway, where they get all the info they need to find Trinary, and he's gonna take 'em to get her. There's a cute moment here where Gabby asks if she can poke the psychically dampened Singh, which is totally adorable. I love Jean with kids.
    - At the facility it's decided that Kurt, Laura, and Gabby will do the rescue while Jean keeps Singh busy. Jean mentions she'll be in their heads, and there's ANOTHER cute Gabby moment where she mentions having a crush on a girl and not having dealt with those feelings yet.
    - Jean leads them through the facility telepathically and for the most part, things are going smoothly. Kurt saves Trinary and it's a really good sequence - there's another cute Gabby moment here, too. And a Star Wars reference! "Aren't you a little too short to be an X-Men?"
    - There's a problem though. Outside, Jean starts to hear some gunshots, and has to deal with an angry mob. She puts them to sleep telepathically, but three of them are still up. Just like with the ambassador, Cassandra is keeping them awake telepathically, and then there's a gunshot. Back in the prison Kurt mentions that they've lost Jean - she isn't in their minds anymore! He rushes as quickly as he can out of the prison, where he finds...
    - Jean, fine and well, but she needed to drop the others to focus and handle Cassandra's victims. The unexpected consequence, however, is that she's lost control of Singh too. He initiates code sentinel and, uh, promptly gets his fingers lopped off by Laura, who isn't sure what he just did - but Jean is.
    - The ground starts rumbling. Jean tells her team to move. To get out of there.
    - Right as a Sentinel rises up from underneath them

There is also a Where's Wolverine backup at the end of the issue that I initially forgot about, but it's... decent? Just one page.

-------------------------

Another good issue! I'd give this one an 8/10 as opposed to a 10/10; it's much more action packed than the first issue was and I actually lowkey missed Namor? The only time he's even mentioned is when Kurt says Atlantis offered them Asylum. I'm really liking Trinary so far, she doesn't seem like a typical "new X-Man." She has her own agency and was introduced very well. Gabby fits right in, and Jean's rapport with her is great; she always has been one of the best teachers of the X-Men. I'm also incredibly fond of Jean and Kurt's dynamic here. Kurt got really upset when he felt Jean slip from his mind, and was of course the one to lead the charge to save her if anything bad had happened. He had every right to be worried; normally when a telepath loses connection they've been hurt or they've died. And Jean just got back!

I'm excited for the next issue to see which of Jean's comrades gets taken by Cassandra, and just in general. In Tom Taylor I trust.
    Last edited by Harpsikord; 03-07-2018 at 07:35 AM.
    "We come into this world alone and we leave the same way. The time we spent in between - time spent alive, sharing, learning together... is all that makes life worth living." - Jean Grey

A solid follow-up to the first issue. I am really loving Asrar's art.

At first, I was pretty disappointed with the announced roster. However, this is my favorite X-Men Book Marvel is putting out right now.

Very excited to see Gambit in the next issue!

I cant wait to read this. Trinary seems like she'll be giving me life from now on.
    Faves: Ororo Munroe♥ Maxima Of Almerac♥ Donna Troy♥ Mari Jiwe McCabe♥ Jean Grey♥ Cyclops♥ Monet♥ Wanda Maximoff♥ Jubilee♥
    CHECKMATE
    GA: "She moves fast"..
    F:"Compared to who?"
    GA:"Hold her!"
    F:"Does it look like I'm not trying!?"

♡♡♡

Fire and life incarnate! phoenixzero23's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Endsong View Post

- At the facility it's decided that Kurt, Laura, and Gabby will do the rescue while Jean keeps Singh busy. Jean mentions she'll be in their heads, and there's ANOTHER cute Gabby moment where she mentions having a crush on a girl and not having dealt with those feelings yet.

I haven't read the issue yet, but this sounds interesting. we need more LGBT characters and i think it would be cute to see gabby pinning for other girls.

Extraordinary Member Master of Sound's Avatar

Did not read it yet, but....

Reading the word 'CUTE' 3 or 4 times in the review worries me a bit actually.

Is this turning out to be more of a girlish book?
    "COURAGE, DON'T YOU DARE LET ME DOWN"
    ==================================================

Quote Originally Posted by Master of Sound View Post
    Did not read it yet, but....

Reading the word 'CUTE' 3 or 4 times in the review worries me a bit actually.

Is this turning out to be more of a girlish book?
    No, and even if it were, why would that be a problem? Get that hypermasculine ish outta here.

Gabby, by nature, is a cute character. Things involved with Gabby are going to be cute.
    "We come into this world alone and we leave the same way. The time we spent in between - time spent alive, sharing, learning together... is all that makes life worth living." - Jean Grey

Sounds like another solid issue.
    First X-Lady

No, and even if it were, why would that be a problem? Get that hypermasculine ish outta here.

Gabby, by nature, is a cute character. Things involved with Gabby are going to be cute.
    True.
    I mean, Laura sliced off a dude's fingers. We had a stealth rescue mission. None of those things are exclusively feminine or masculine. ha
    Levity, by way of Gabby, is merely an entertaining means to balance the story and appeal to a broad audience. This book isn't Uncanny X-Force after all.

Extraordinary Member Master of Sound's Avatar

Good to hear it does not.

I just dont like reading a comic which is girlish. I Like hypermasculine.

So there's no problem.
    "COURAGE, DON'T YOU DARE LET ME DOWN"

Sounds like a great issue

Does Jean already know about Cassandra Nova?

Quote Originally Posted by Knives View Post
    Does Jean already know about Cassandra Nova?
    Not yet. She just knows there is someone out their controlling other's minds.

MA loves doing these splash pages. This was great

Overall good issue but not as good as the first

Why did Laura act like she was ignorant to Gentle's powers? I get Taylor used that scene to explain him but Laura's dialogue was off consider she's known him for years

Quote Originally Posted by Andru View Post
    Not yet. She just knows there is someone out their controlling other's minds.
    Yeah, I think that Cassandra is right now in that 'one step ahead' phase of things, though Jean will probably catch on decently quick. Taylor had her mention this issue that she is, after all, still a very strong telepath.

Fantastic Member

Liked the issue but I don't know for the others but I want Jean to saw us very good feats. Feats that concern both her Telepathy and Telekinisis and make her more dangerous. I would like to see her Pink form too.