Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Batman By Neal Adams TP Book 01

I just discovered that Batman By Neal Adams TP Book 01 is being solicited for sale this week. I already have the 3 trades that came out previously, but this volume is listed as "newly recut collection", what is that?? I can find no other information on this book. I am hoping it is the unaltered/original version of these comics before Neal Adams re-drew/re-inked/recolored & RUINED everything! But I doubt I would get so lucky. If anyone has any information about this book I sure would appreciate hearing about it.
    Last edited by Bryan; 03-07-2018 at 08:49 AM.

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

I definitely sadly don't expect the unaltered/original versions, I think someone guessed it will just be TPB collection where they they took the 3 previous softcovers/hardcovers and put them into 2 new softcovers. Or it might still be 3 volumes but add Odyssey and other recent Adams Batman stuff (that I don't care for).

DC does that a bit, just new condensed collections.

This new set is likely to disappoint.
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 03-07-2018 at 09:10 AM.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

We need to petition DC to release the original unaltered Neal Adams Batman issues.

Incredible Member

According to John Monagle at the Marvel Masterworks board: I glanced at it in my LCS today. It looked like the World's Finest issues were the re-worked Adams versions, but it looked like the Brave and the Bold issues were the original art, which would make sense as those were just used in the Brave and Bold Omni.

BANNED

The original Neal Addams Batman TPs had some very severe issues with the coloring. It looked really bad compared to the original comics.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by oasis1313 View Post
    The original Neal Addams Batman TPs had some very severe issues with the coloring. It looked really bad compared to the original comics.
    I bought the first 3 hardcover books but I simply hated the stock paper that was used for them, it made the art muddy and dark which is why I opted for the later softcover versions.

This new BOOK 1 surprises me as the original Tpb's can still be found at stores and online.

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan View Post
    We need to petition DC to release the original unaltered Neal Adams Batman issues.
    I've emailed DC on the matter and they responded with defense of the changes, citing Adams studio and family having done the recoloring. DC ignored that I already conceded that point that it was Adams' desire. I said it was not what many fans wanted, these garish horrid recolors and redraws.

These things sell well (thanks nostalgia), so DC is unlikely to fix this.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Quote Originally Posted by JBatmanFan05 View Post
    I've emailed DC on the matter and they responded with defense of the changes, citing Adams studio and family having done the recoloring. DC ignored that I already conceded that point that it was Adams' desire. I said it was not what many fans wanted, these garish horrid recolors and redraws.

These things sell well (thanks nostalgia), so DC is unlikely to fix this.
    I don't mind Neal Adams making changes for a special edition type of volume(s) if that floats his boat, just do not think these should replace the originals and become the definitive versions and as a fan I should have the option to buy the original unaltered work. I find it sad that DC defends the changes, but as long as sales are strong I guess nothing will change. Too bad because I would have bought this newly released trade if they were the glorious originals.
    Last edited by Bryan; 03-09-2018 at 05:12 PM.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan View Post
    I don't mind Neal Adams making changes for a special edition type of volume(s) if that floats his boat, just do not think these should replace the originals and become the definitive versions and as a fan I should have the option to buy the original unaltered work. I find it sad that DC defends the changes, but as long as sales are strong I guess nothing will change. Too bad because I would have bought this newly released trade if they were the glorious originals.
    My thoughts exactly, we can already buy the redone stories in 3 TPB and an omnibus, DC should release an unaltered collection as well for fans who want them

At present it looks like our only hope to get the original art is when the Omnibus collections finally reach the 70's (as Adam's original art was used in the Bronze Age Batman: The Brave and The Bold Omnibus from last year) but at the current rate that will take quite a while

BANNED

I would rather havr these Neal Adams collections in black-and-white than these literal four-color (and very bright and garish colors they are, yoo!) monstrosities. And I love Adams artwork.

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

Sorry for the bump, but I've been desperate to dive into the O'Niel/Adams era of Batman, and am disappointed to learn that they aren't collected at all in their original format without the recoloring/repenciling. Does anyone know the best way to try tracking those stories down? Or should I just bite the bullet and enjoy the collected editions the best I can?

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lightning Rider View Post
    Sorry for the bump, but I've been desperate to dive into the O'Niel/Adams era of Batman, and am disappointed to learn that they aren't collected at all in their original format without the recoloring/repenciling. Does anyone know the best way to try tracking those stories down? Or should I just bite the bullet and enjoy the collected editions the best I can?
    At present the updated versions of the Adams stories are the only ones available in the TPB's and Adams omnibus.

The chronological Batman omnibuses (and subsequent TPB's) will eventually reach this point but not before they have reprinted ALL the golden and silver age issues. We haven't had any kind of confirmation yet if the Adam's issues they will include will be the original or remastered versions however when they reprinted his Brave and the Bold work in that Omnibus they did use the original versions so hopefully they will do the same

Retired

The B&B stories in the first volume of the hardcover were half/half. Half were revamped by Adams and half not--so that would explain why some B&B stories are not revamped in other reprints using the same work. Mind you, those other B&B stories had already been reprinted in Baxter books, so the hardcover was using those reprints--which themselves had minor alterations (nothing as big as what Neal Adams did to revamp stories).

It's always bugged me that I can never get a good reprint volume of the B&B issues that's faithful to the original comics.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Lightning Rider View Post
    I have the original comics and VERY CAREFULLY go back and look at them; they were beautifully colored back then. I'd be game for a reworked version with those colorings preserved, or even black and white so you can just enjoy the beauty of his artwork. He's got to be getting pretty old by now and he's still one of the best. I fear we'll not see much of anyone his equal.

Retired

The beautiful thing about the Neal Adams Batman is seeing how he (and his fellow inkers, like Dick Giordano) arrive at the version of Batman that existed in 1973. By changing the art (and not just the pencils, but the inking, lettering and colouring), it's impossible for modern readers to see how the Adams Batman developed (without buying the back issues, which are often very expensive). It's one of the big accomplishments of Adams as the Batman artist and, by changing those pages, he completely erases what made his progress so exciting.