Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Twitter: @theprattlp donpricetag's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Badou View Post
    Yeah I had to roll my eyes at that "someone else first" scene. They better not hand wave Magneto as Rogue just wanting to sleep some other people for a while because she didn't want Gambit to be her only partner. That would make zero sense.
    Female sexual experimentation? Yeah, that's nuts. Never happens. Of course, I'm being sarcastic, but how often can you say we 100% understand a woman's actions. I'm 7 years into marriage and she still baffles my mind at times.
    Guild Member
    Realistically speaking about fictional matters. | Nutcases need not respond. | Stay outta my DMs. | Why does the "House of Ideas" keep duplicating characters?! | If an idea or belief cannot stand up to criticism it's probably... bad.

Very enjoyable issue, this is the kind of Romy I like, with fun dialogue, playful banter and free of angst and needless drama. Keep it up miss Thompson you are doing great.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Malachi View Post
    Good issue.

Every dialouge felt in character, meaningful and important. Other writers really should take note on this issue.

The actionscenes where fun and the idea of fighting past versions of themselves translated very well to the page. I personally enjoyed their space costumes the most.

I still feel that this mini should be read as a whole but I enjoyed this so much more then issue 1. Maybe I myself needed to process over the 3 issues to let my guard down and start enjoying. Marvel really has made me suspicious and grinchy when it comes to good writting on relationships. My comicheart is being slowly thawed.

I'm still waiting for Rogue to namedrop Magneto and adress that whole circus but that wait might be in vain. Unless that whole "someone else first" speach was more about him and less about her other flings in general. I still would prefer to have it on the page in clear text.
    I don't know if Magneto will be specifically namedropped in R&G but Rogue's whole "someone else" speech was definitely referring to Magneto. Here's a link to Kelly Thompson's tumblr that pretty much confirms that: https://1979semifinalist.tumblr.com/...ched-on-in-the. Plus Magneto is the only other serious relationship that Rogue's ever had and referring to him would be the only thing that makes sense for the speech. I liked the execution of the speech and to me it made sense. Rogue unfortunately seemed to harbor long-time unexplored feelings for Magneto, and at that point in the comics her relationship with Remy had been through a lot of bumps, she had only ever been with Remy, and she wasn't in the right state of mind to return to Remy. It does suck that Mags had to happen (looking at you Mike Carey) but not everything can be retconned and Kelly Thompson did as good of a job as she could have explaining Rogue's decision. And this is coming from someone who thinks Mike Carey did a poor job of developing Rogneto in the first place.

Overall, Rogue & Gambit #3 was a great issue with wonderful believable dialogue, good character development, and great action scenes. The issue was spectacular for Romy fans, as it develops their relationship in a way that only someone (like Kelly Thompson) who's done their research on both characters and doesn't ignore continuity could. Rogue & Gambit being together actually felt believable and made sense to me, this hasn't happened in a long time. The scenario with Lavish and Paraiso is also elaborated on, and I'm excited to see what's gonna happen. Not to mention Kelly did a good job of writing a comic that's just fun to read, something missing from many Marvel comics these days.

this is shaping up to be one of the finest modern X-Books. Full stop. I've had nothing but pure elation from this series, it's a stunning achievement with just the three issues. So long as the creative team sustains for those two final issues, I'm confident in saying this is a modern classic.

It's exactly what the franchise needed, pulling off the "forge a new path by revisiting the path" deal that the other ResurreXion book have been failing with, whilst just adding the resonating personal drama that makes this franchise appeal more than conventional super-heroics. People criticise the X-Books as a soap opera, but, let's be real, it's what makes these books better than their competitors.

I know Thompson has at least one unannounced Marvel book upcoming, so I really do hope it is of the X Variety. Perhaps another mini, if not a flagship team book.

Quote Originally Posted by donpricetag View Post
    Female sexual experimentation? Yeah, that's nuts. Never happens. Of course, I'm being sarcastic, but how often can you say we 100% understand a woman's actions. I'm 7 years into marriage and she still baffles my mind at times.
    That would make sense if she wanted to go hook up with Johnny Storm like she did recently, but I think the Magneto situation is too messy and complex to just fit it into that kind of box. I don't think that sort of explanation works for her relationship with Mags because of all the history and problems associated with it. That she dated him because she wanted to experience someone else or was scared. It doesn't fit. That is what I meant with it.

It would just be a poor explanation for Magneto if this is the only reference we got from it, imo.
    Last edited by Badou; 03-07-2018 at 03:05 PM.

BANNED

Hmm. Rogue didn't sound anything like herself over the last 3 years of her push in Uncanny Avengers and X cameos. Which what I figured it would take to push this kind of book in 2018.

Quote Originally Posted by akiresu_ View Post
    It's exactly what the franchise needed, pulling off the "forge a new path by revisiting the path" deal that the other ResurreXion book have been failing with, whilst just adding the resonating personal drama that makes this franchise appeal more than conventional super-heroics. People criticise the X-Books as a soap opera, but, let's be real, it's what makes these books better than their competitors.
    Strongly agree with you, the franchise definitely needed that.

I feel that this book is solving stuffes and leading the characters to growth, and that makes me really glad, I don't get that from a lot of comics these days. I gotta admit though that I don't know a lot about Rogue's and Gambit's story, so maybe that's not a fundamented statement.

Regardless, I know for sure that this comic is a lot of fun, and I hope that come to Brazil soon.

BANNED

Yeah I had to roll my eyes at that "someone else first" scene. They better not hand wave Magneto as Rogue just wanting to sleep some other people for a while because she didn't want Gambit to be her only partner. That would make zero sense.
    It also doesn't make sense because Rogue doesn't sleep around...Domino is care free. Rogue? Nah....that would be too cute and cozy..especially after a scene like X Men #25.

Spectacular Member

That would make sense if she wanted to go hook up with Johnny Storm like she did recently, but I think the Magneto situation is too messy and complex to just fit it into that kind of box. I don't think that sort of explanation works for her relationship with Mags because of all the history and problems associated with it. That she dated him because she wanted to experience someone else or was scared. It doesn't fit. That is what I meant with it.

It would just be a poor explanation for Magneto if this is the only reference we got from it, imo.
    I get where you're coming from and for me it just goes back to Mike Carey not doing a good job of develop Rogue and Magneto's relationship. For me he rushed their relationship so much in Legacy instead of spending more time exploring their mindsets at that point and explaining how they could reach the point of developing mutual romantic feelings for each other that go past simple attraction. Carey spent so much time developing every other aspect of Rogue's character but when it came to Rogneto he basically just rushed it out the gate and shoved it down everybody's throats. That could have something to do with it being pretty unpopular among most fans and Marvel's decision to have Gage pretty much kill Rogneto.

Back to R&G #3, I'm pleased with how Thompson had Rogue indirectly explain her past decision to date Mags. All of her dialogue seemed well thought out and Rogue never stopped loving Gambit (despite what others might seem). In general both characters are written very well by Kelly Thompson, she clearly loves both characters. I'm also really interested in what's going on with Lavish and what her ultimate goal is. I wonder how she's making clones of R&G and is her power to steal powers from other mutants (a little similar to Rogue)?

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEsta View Post
    It also doesn't make sense because Rogue doesn't sleep around...Domino is care free. Rogue? Nah....that would be too cute and cozy..especially after a scene like X Men #25.
    I took Rogue's "someone else" speech as her not saying that she sleeps around but as her explaining why she chose to pursue another relationship with "someone else" before making the plunge to be with Remy again. In my opinion I don't think she meant to say she slept with "someone else" (just sex) but instead she meant she chose to be in a relationship with "someone else" (more than just sex). She clearly stated that she was afraid to be in another relationship with Remy at that point because of where she was during that time period and because of all that had happened between them along with only having been with Remy at that point. She says she never stopped loving him and it wasn't so much that she didn't choose him it was more so that she was afraid. But since then years have passed and she has developed as a character in many ways as has Remy, which is why she wants to be with Remy again.
    Last edited by Mateo3000; 03-07-2018 at 03:33 PM.

At the same time... Isn't that what they did? Hook up? We say they "dated" but I can only think about, what 3 instances of them even talking since they hooked before they broke up. It's not like they we're flying cross country for dates and have heart to hearts over the phone. Before Schism split them up they made a joke about one following the other. They laughed. Then, they broke it off two dozen issues later after zero instances of interaction... Sounds like a hookup to me...? Ok they have history, but that just laid ground work for it happen (retcons not withstanding). I don't honestly see the fault here unless the idea of Magneto not really being that important compared to Gambit interferes with someone's head cannon. The idea of someone caring more about one person than another is reality. Even parents have a favorite kid lol.
    Guild Member
    Realistically speaking about fictional matters. | Nutcases need not respond. | Stay outta my DMs. | Why does the "House of Ideas" keep duplicating characters?! | If an idea or belief cannot stand up to criticism it's probably... bad.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Mateo3000 View Post
    I took Rogue's "someone else" speech as her not saying that she sleeps around but as her explaining why she chose to pursue another relationship with "someone else" before making the plunge to be with Remy again. In my opinion I don't think she meant to say she slept with "someone else" (just sex) but instead she meant she chose to be in a relationship with "someone else" (more than just sex). She clearly stated that she was afraid to be in another relationship with Remy at that point because of where she was during that time period and because of all that had happened between them along with only having been with Remy at that point. She says she never stopped loving him and it wasn't so much that she didn't choose him it was more so that she was afraid. But since then years have passed and she has developed as a character in many ways as has Remy, which is why she wants to be with Remy again.
    See..the thing is...the Rogue/Magneto connection is just way too strong and has too many episodes/layers to be dismissed in a couple of sentences for a easy Rogue/Gambit reunion. It doesn't seem authentic at all. But it wasn't a top plot point so I guess it don't matter for now...

So uh... Anyone else thinking that the Kitty/Colossus wedding is a set up for the "A different world" wedding scenario where Rogue and Gambit get married instead? That was a great episode... Dwayne's a jerk. My groomsmen would have dragged him up and down the isle. Good times.
    Guild Member

Quote Originally Posted by donpricetag View Post
    At the same time... Isn't that what they did? Hook up? We say they "dated" but I can only think about, what 3 instances of them even talking since they hooked before they broke up. It's not like they we're flying cross country for dates and have heart to hearts over the phone. Before Schism split them up they made a joke about one following the other. They laughed. Then, they broke it off two dozen issues later after zero instances of interaction... Sounds like a hookup to me...? Ok they have history, but that just laid ground work for it happen (retcons not withstanding). I don't honestly see the fault here unless the idea of Magneto not really being that important compared to Gambit interferes with someone's head cannon. The idea of someone caring more about one person than another is reality. Even parents have a favorite kid lol.
    How dare you question the deep relationship between Rogue and Magneto? One night together in almost 30 years followed by 3 random interactions between them, come dude don't be a troll, that is high point of Rogneto and is DEEP and LAYERED.

Yeah... I'm kinda just pointing out what actually happened sans bias and fandom. They hooked up a couple times. It ended. Magnus was... a booty call. Gambit gave the harbour speech, she wasn't ready for commitment, and decided to have a fling instead. It happens, I guess.
    Guild Member