Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BANNED

Default Dan Slott Talks "Go Down Swinging" and his Final Issue

https://www.cbr.com/amazing-spider-m...ues-interview/

Dan talks to CBR about what to expect from #801, how he was inspired to make Peter and Bobbi a couple, the recent developments between Peter and Jonah, and why he waited almost a decade to play with two well known Spider-Man toys.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Seems weird editors still have power over not letting him use certain characters just so they can do mini's.

I know a big complaint was that GDS was ANOTHER Norman Osborn story, but when you really think about it, Slott's only ever done really 2 real Norman stories, Goblin Nation and Osborn Identity. And it is very interesting to hear how the reason he never used him that much was because of Bendis using him Avengers. That, and the realization he never used Carnage before, does make that decision all the more understanding for me.

It also excites me whenever he talks about working with Marcos Martin for 801, because their stuff has always been so good.

Astonishing Member David Walton's Avatar

Interesting that Norman Osborn has been mostly off-limits in the Spider-verse for the past decade.

I wonder what Slott would have done with him earlier if given the opportunity--or how "New Ways to Die" might have ended differently if he didn't have to leave Norman exactly as he found him.

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    Seems weird editors still have power over not letting him use certain characters just so they can do mini's.
    Editors are basically the bosses. Not sure why it sounds weird.

Marcos Martin on Spider-Man is always nice. Feels fitting to have him be the one to cap off Slott's run.

I honestly just assumed Slott didn't use Norman as much because he genuinely did prefer Otto, which I feel is shown in how he writes the two of them, but I guess it's sensible that with everything Norman had going on that it would be hard to manage a major appearance in Spider-Man.

There's that "toys" analogy again...

So Stuart Immonen's art gave Peter and Bobbi more chemistry then they had in Slott's head? That makes it sound like the relationship was always on shaky ground even before they got together. And I'm kind of surprised to see Slott had a hard time breaking them up given how said breakup was handled/written, although maybe he wanted to get it over with quick and relatively painless.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    Editors are basically the bosses. Not sure why it sounds weird.
    I think most people just assume editors are a lot more lax or lenient these days when it comes to that kind of stuff.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

So Slott said he had to break up Peter & Bobbi because before Go Down Swinging and also laughs at the question asking about MJ. Interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Marcos Martin on Spider-Man is always nice. Feels fitting to have him be the one to cap off Slott's run.

I honestly just assumed Slott didn't use Norman as much because he genuinely did prefer Otto, which I feel is shown in how he writes the two of them, but I guess it's sensible that with everything Norman had going on that it would be hard to manage a major appearance in Spider-Man.

There's that "toys" analogy again...

So Stuart Immonen's art gave Peter and Bobbi more chemistry then they had in Slott's head? That makes it sound like the relationship was always on shaky ground even before they got together. And I'm kind of surprised to see Slott had a hard time breaking them up given how said breakup was handled/written, although maybe he wanted to get it over with quick and relatively painless.

I think most people just assume editors are a lot more lax or lenient these days when it comes to that kind of stuff.
    Yeah, I only meant it was weird for writers who have proved their writing skills and are huge sellers like Bendis,Slott,Aaron,etc.

Yeah, I only meant it was weird for writers who have proved their writing skills and are huge sellers like Bendis,Slott,Aaron,etc.
    Well editors supposedly help out those guys to keep things organized, that way we don't get **** like seeing Norman as Iron Patrior and Green Goblin in Dark Reign.

Incredible Member

The most interesting part of these interviews, to me, is getting a peek behind the scenes of editorial mandate and such.

So Slott said he had to break up Peter & Bobbi because before Go Down Swinging and also laughs at the question asking about MJ. Interesting.

Some writers may be more willing to throw their weight around than others.

Slott has generally seemed like a team player.

For an editor, there are plenty of considerations. The sales of a Carnage title could be expected to exceed the boost a Carnage appearance provides in Amazing Spider-Man.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

One thing I'll say for Slott - he knows how to do an anniversary issue. I expect this one to be typical for him - which is to say it will be the most bombastically big bundle of biggitude we've seen yet! Nice to see that Ramos will have a hand in it, too.

But I am glad he is doing a more toned-down wrap-up issue. Just as long as it doesn't revolve around MJ's funeral or something equally horrendous.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

True, as I've been saying we the fans more often than not have no idea what constraints any given writer is working under at any given time.
    Last edited by Celgress; 03-08-2018 at 03:20 PM.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Extraordinary Member John Ossie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    But I am glad he is doing a more toned-down wrap-up issue. Just as long as it doesn't revolve around MJ's funeral or something equally horrendous.
    I would not be a happy poster if he killed her off. Though I think Spencer mentioned her in his interview regarding working on ASM so I don't think that'll happen thankfully for me LOL.
    Last edited by John Ossie; 03-08-2018 at 12:10 PM.

BANNED

Dan has also opened up about why he never used Kraven in his run outside of flashbacks...it was to honor his own headcanon that Kraven never came back after Last Hunt!

“…I’ve been keenly aware of what characters I haven’t written,” Slott explained to CBR. “I barely touched Kraven. Everyone has their head canon, and I was like, I’m not going anywhere near that character after the classic J.M. DeMatteis ‘Last Hunt’ story. To me, that’s where his story ends.”
    https://www.cbr.com/dan-slott-kraven...ng-spider-man/

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    Dan has also opened up about why he never used Kraven in his run outside of flashbacks...it was to honor his own headcanon that Kraven never came back after Last Hunt!

https://www.cbr.com/dan-slott-kraven...ng-spider-man/
    Well, given how little of note Kraven has done since coming back, I guess I can't blame him .