Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Default Favorite Wonder Woman comics era?

What is your favorite run of Wonder Woman or at least what years were you most excited about the character?

Spectacular Member

I'm in the minority...maybe a minority of one by myself... but MY Wonder Woman will always be the Bronze Age, Pre-Crisis WW from the '70s and '80s.
    I love Gerry Conway's run from issues #269-285 where he re-established the classic supporting cast (Steve, Etta and Gen. Darnell) and put her back in D.C.
    Roy Thomas' run from the early '80s is pretty solid to with the introduction of the original Silver Swan (#288-290) and the classic "Judgment From Infinity" storyline. Dan Mishkin took over somewhere around #297 and brought in a few concepts that actually carried over into the Perez run: a big one being the name of the Amazon's capital city - Themyscria. This era doesn't get much love, but it was the WW I was introduced to as a kid. The "Super Friends" cartoon was still on TV and re-runs of the Lynda Carter show were still prevalent on local stations, so I had no idea that DC Comics didn't hold her in high esteem at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    What is your favorite run of Wonder Woman or at least what years were you most excited about the character?
    Early post-Crisis On Infinite Earths George Perez.

(Not, however, my favorite era for a Donna Troy origin; that would be just pre-CoIE, although I think even that needs a little tweaking. But just a little.)
    Doctor Bifrost

"If Roy G. Bivolo had seen some B&W pencil sketches, his whole life would have turned out differently." http://doctorbifrost.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by The I.A.D.C. View Post
    I'm in the minority...maybe a minority of one by myself... but MY Wonder Woman will always be the Bronze Age, Pre-Crisis WW from the '70s and '80s.
    I love Gerry Conway's run from issues #269-285 where he re-established the classic supporting cast (Steve, Etta and Gen. Darnell) and put her back in D.C.
    Roy Thomas' run from the early '80s is pretty solid to with the introduction of the original Silver Swan (#288-290) and the classic "Judgment From Infinity" storyline. Dan Mishkin took over somewhere around #297 and brought in a few concepts that actually carried over into the Perez run: a big one being the name of the Amazon's capital city - Themyscria. This era doesn't get much love, but it was the WW I was introduced to as a kid. The "Super Friends" cartoon was still on TV and re-runs of the Lynda Carter show were still prevalent on local stations, so I had no idea that DC Comics didn't hold her in high esteem at the time.
    The Bronze Age is when the best of the Marston Era and the sci-fi explosion of the Fifties and Sixties came together.

The Bronze Age was a great time for building the Wonder-mythos. It's when we got the Adjudicator - one of the most powerful entities in the DC Universe - Nubia, Donna Troy, Doctor Cyber, Silver Swan, Aegeus, the Bushmaster, Mother JuJu, the original Artemis [Look her up.] and I Ching. Had editorial impulses to follow the Seventies TV show allowed writers to mix the TV cast with that of the Mod Era's, the WW comic might have a classic supporting cast, right now - Steve, Etta, Magda, the IADC and I Ching. Instead, Steve and Etta lingered, until the Crisis. Had George Perez carried on the sci-fi presence in the WW comic, post-Crisis, I think Doctor Cyber would have been firmly established as Wonder Woman's archnemesis. The Bronze Age gave WW fans a growing rogues gallery and a supporting cast.

BTW, I would take the Inter-Agency Defense Command over ARGUS, any day.

While the Marston days might truly be Wonder Woman's Golden Age, a time when the comic was its most imaginative, ..the Bronze Age is what won me over.
    Last edited by Mel Dyer; 03-08-2018 at 05:05 AM.
    COMBINING THE BIGBADITUDE OF THANOS WITH CHEETAH'S FEROCITY, IS JANUS WONDER WOMAN'S GREATEST SUPERVILLAIN?...on WONDABUNGA!!! Look alive, Kangaliers!

The Detective Man The Dying Detective's Avatar

The George Perez era was good a shame though it suffered because certain issues were dead weight stories.
    "Excellent!" I cried. "Elementary," said he

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Rucka's first run, hands down. Nothing before or since that I've read has touched it, though his second run came close.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

Quote Originally Posted by The I.A.D.C. View Post
    You’re not ALL by yourself.�� This era was pivotal for me as well for pretty much the same reasons you give. I lived through the TV series when it was on network. So the effect Carter had (and still has on me, at least for the ABC episodes) was monumental. If I were to revisit these comics now I’m not sure what I’d think of them.

The other important eras for me are early Marston, Perez’s first year and both of Rucka’s runs—especially his second one—even though I don’t think he and DC nailed the end of the Truth arc.
    Last edited by Largo161; 03-08-2018 at 11:01 AM.

I only started reading comics regularly in the early 90s, so getting back issues of the Perez relaunch will always hold a certain nostalgia for me as the first comics I ever read. I remember wholeheartedly loving his reimagining of the Amazons and all the myth involved, even if I really wanted characters like Doctor Cyber to appear and wasn’t into Steve not being her love interest.

It was also my initiation into how comics “worked.” (Released on Wednesdays, different iterations of characters by different creative teams, Crisis and the changes that occurred, and continuity in general - it was quite an education to go from civilian to full-tilt comic book geek.)

My other favorite era is the Jimenez run. I really appreciated how he picked up past character beats and continuity and threw a lot new ideas at us in his stories - Lois Lane, death of Hippolyta, Giganta, Queen Clea and Villainy Inc., Trevor Barnes, Circe, Cheetah x 2, Angle Man, Batman and the Bat family, and Cassie, Donna, Diana, and Artemis all hanging out together. Thinking back it was filled with tons of great character interactions goodness that built out the Wonder mythos.
    Last edited by WonderScott; 03-08-2018 at 11:53 AM.

I love everyone’s recollections and experiences with the Bronze Age, of which I’ve only read a few stories here and there - Judgement From Infinity and the Debbie Domaine Cheetah debut.

Oddly, I have a strong feeling of liking Doctor Cyber, Silver Swan, and Angle Man from the Bronze Age, from only reading some panels posted once the dawn of the internet began and I could access them. Weird to like some characters that you haven’t spent some significant storytime with.
    Last edited by WonderScott; 03-08-2018 at 12:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Dyer View Post
    The Bronze Age is when the best of the Marston Era and the sci-fi explosion of the Fifties and Sixties came together.

The Bronze Age was a great time for building the Wonder-mythos. It's when we got the Adjudicator - one of the most powerful entities in the DC Universe - Nubia, Donna Troy, Doctor Cyber, Silver Swan, Aegeus, the Bushmaster, Mother JuJu, the original Artemis [Look her up.] and I Ching. Had editorial impulses to follow the Seventies TV show allowed writers to mix the TV cast with that of the Mod Era's, the WW comic might have a classic supporting cast, right now - Steve, Etta, Magda, the IADC and I Ching. Instead, Steve and Etta lingered, until the Crisis. Had George Perez carried on the sci-fi presence in the WW comic, post-Crisis, I think Doctor Cyber would have been firmly established as Wonder Woman's archnemesis. The Bronze Age gave WW fans a growing rogues gallery and a supporting cast.

While the Marston days might truly be Wonder Woman's Golden Age, a time when the comic was its most imaginative, ..the Bronze Age is what won me over.
    Speaking of the Wonder Woman TV series, I’ve always wondered why we never got a revamped Andros, the Skrill, Zardor, or Gault in the title? (That last one is probably too much like the Brain or Ultra-Humanite, but I kind of like the idea of evil brains fighting to be the BEST evil brain in the DCU.)

Retired

Probably the late '60s to early '80s. I like the Marston era, too.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Marston would probably be my favorite. The Rebirth era, as it was set up by Rucka, is poised to be my second favorite provided it isn't upended by the time all this tedious Darkseid War stuff is over.

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

Perez and Marston are my favorites. Their runs made me love the character of WW.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Dyer View Post

Thank you! I'm glad to see there are others who appreciate the classic Bronze Age era of WW. One of the things I appreciate is that that when new writers took over they didn't throw away or undo the previous writer's work. Roy Thomas and Dan Mishkin both continued and built on what Gerry Conway established. They introduced new characters like Major Griggers and Lt Haley, but they didn't take anything away from the already established characters. Also, Jose Delbo's depiction of Diana is the one that's indelibly imprinted on my psyche. Like H.G. Peter for the Golden Age and Ross Andru for the Silver Age, Delbo is the definitive Bronze Age WW artist. Gene Colon came on board with Roy Thomas in #288 and did some classic work. There's a splash page in issue #289 of WW crashing through the door (or wall?) of Doctor Psycho's hideout that is awesome.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by WonderScott View Post
    Speaking of the Wonder Woman TV series, I’ve always wondered why we never got a revamped Andros, the Skrill, Zardor, or Gault in the title? (That last one is probably too much like the Brain or Ultra-Humanite, but I kind of like the idea of evil brains fighting to be the BEST evil brain in the DCU.)

I'd say there was probably some legal issues that kept characters from the TV show from showing up in the comic book. Check out ACTION COMICS #678 from 1992. There's a panel of Lex Luthor's brain being kept alive in an "aquarium" almost exactly like "Gault's Brain." It's pretty funny. I don't know if it was intentional or not, but even when I read it back in the '90s, I thought of that episode.