Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Besides the Wonder Woman stories are about the Amazons and Diana's daughter. Damned is also about Constantine along with Batman.

Only Last Knight and Year One are pure Batman and Superman projects and those were announced well before this imprint.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Barbatos666 View Post
    Besides the Wonder Woman stories are about the Amazons and Diana's daughter. Damned is also about Constantine along with Batman.

Only Last Knight and Year One are pure Batman and Superman projects and those were announced well before this imprint.
    Yes, while Diana will no doubt play a huge part in things, lord knows Hippolyta doesn't always get the push she warrants, especially in the post-Daughter of Zeus world. The series is likely to star her as much as her daughter, if not more so considering the dense history of the Amazons before Diana is born. And if the daughter in Rucka's book turns out to be a version of Lyta Trevor/Fury, she gets even less attention.

And then there's The Other History which is literally all about providing voices to often neglected characters, including a couple of obscure ones.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    Yes, while Diana will no doubt play a huge part in things, lord knows Hippolyta doesn't always get the push she warrants, especially in the post-Daughter of Zeus world. The series is likely to star her as much as her daughter, if not more so considering the dense history of the Amazons before Diana is born. And if the daughter in Rucka's book turns out to be a version of Lyta Trevor/Fury, she gets even less attention.
    I don't think it really needed to be Diana's literal daughter. Just a figurative one inspired by the tales of WW to become a Katniss Everdeen-type revolutionary leader would have been a great yarn.

But it's Rucka so I'm there regardless.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post
    I don't think it really needed to be Diana's literal daughter. Just a figurative one inspired by the tales of WW to become a Katniss Everdeen-type revolutionary leader would have been a great yarn.

But it's Rucka so I'm there regardless.
    It's possible, but I don't think it'd be wise of them to use that as a working title if they didn't want it to be a literal, biological daughter.

That's an attention grabbing title, and going from that to "it's more of a metaphorical daughter/successor thing" would be kind of a letdown. For me at least, and I imagine for a lot of other people.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    It's possible, but I don't think it'd be wise of them to use that as a working title if they didn't want it to be a literal, biological daughter.

That's an attention grabbing title, and going from that to "it's more of a metaphorical daughter/successor thing" would be kind of a letdown. For me at least, and I imagine for a lot of other people.
    On the plus side, it adds an "everywoman can be Wonder Woman" aspect to it instead of focusing on a special bloodline.

Also, The Dark Knight Returns already used "Sons of Batman" so there's precedence.

And then there's The Other History which is literally all about providing voices to often neglected characters, including a couple of obscure ones.
    And they all have to share one book...
    My priority is black female characters; everything else is secondary.

~~

Marvel: Miles Morales, Riri Williams, Ororo Munroe, Thor, Quentin Quire.
    DC Comics: Vixen, Batman, Bat Family, John Stewart, Roy Harper, Tempest, Poison Ivy, Raven.
    Comics: Y: The Last Man, Justice League America (2009), Ultimate Comics: All New Spider-Man (2011)
    Ships: Thororo/ThunderStorm, Vixen/hasn't been created, Jason Todd/Kathy Duquesne.

~~

Icon/Avatar by LoneNecromancer

Quote Originally Posted by kurenai24 View Post
    And they all have to share one book...
    Let's be honest here, if DC is trying to launch a imprint to bring new readers and attention, they not gonna do that with Vic Sage or Rene Montoya, neither with Supergirl or Batgirl, hell not even with Green Arrow, Aquaman or the Green Lantern of your choice. They will go with the big ones, Batman, Superman and Wonder Woman. Honestly I'm surprised by Ridley's book.
    If the imprint proves itself and have success I believe they will expand it to other lesser known characters, probably with Green Lantern, Aquaman, then with some more obscure ones, like the Question. I hope.

We can't forget that having a big name creative team is part of the appeal of this imprint, so they also have to pair the character they want to launch with the talent who wants to write them and have a story. Is way more easy to find a big name writer to do a Superman, Wonder Woman and Batman book than someone who wants to do a Lagoon Boy one, I'm sure that is, but they are far less than those that are aiming at the A-list characters.

I think this line is a great idea. Sure, I'd love to see more focus on pretty much anyone other than Superman or Batman, but I'm sure other heroes are coming.
    Ridley's book is the one I'm the most excited about.
    I really feel that these days DC are doing a lot of things right when it comes to their different imprints. It's their DCU line that always seems stuck in mediocrity.

BANNED

I don't think it really needed to be Diana's literal daughter.
    On the other hand, there is also no real reason for her not to be Diana's literal daughter.

The Detective Man The Dying Detective's Avatar

On the plus side, it adds an "everywoman can be Wonder Woman" aspect to it instead of focusing on a special bloodline.

Also, The Dark Knight Returns already used "Sons of Batman" so there's precedence.
    The Sons of Batman were not advertised seemingly as Batman's literal sons.
    "Excellent!" I cried. "Elementary," said he

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    On the other hand, there is also no real reason for her not to be Diana's literal daughter.
    True. At this point, we're not sure if it is., or it isn't actually Diana's daughter. Plus, the story link says "working title" so all we really have right now is unsupported speculation. Not that that's ever stopped me before.

Quote Originally Posted by The Dying Detective View Post
    The Sons of Batman were not advertised seemingly as Batman's literal sons.
    Diana's Daughter is playing it coy too. Not really confirming it to be Diana's literal daughter.

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    I think there are plenty of real reasons as to why fandoms need to be weaned off this weird obsession with special bloodlines. It's how we ended up with a dumb and unnecessary internet war over Rey's heritage lacking that Skywalker/Kenobi special sauce. Arguably that's also how we wound up with "Zeus's Daughter Diana".

As I said before, Rucka is one of the few creators whom I trust no matter which direction he goes in. But I'd prefer it if this protagonist was just a normal everywoman who was that inspired by Diana to rise up against an oppressive and exploitative system. For me the impact of WW's legacy is diluted a little if the heroine has the Amazon/Zeus equivalent of Midichlorians in her blood.

I would have liked some variation in the Batman titles, I like Snyder/Capullo and Azzarello/Bermejo’s previous stories with the character, but I would have find more appealing seeing them try someone they aren’t as used as they’re with Batman. Besides, both premises seem to deal with Joker, another character both creative teams have done stuff about. Miller in Superman is a must read, personally, not that I have faith in it being any good, but I have always been intrigued to know what he would do with a story about Superman, though we got some glances in DKSA and DKMR, that I find were mixed bags. Romita Jr is a love-hate case.

Rucka doing WW again isn’t much different to what I said about the teams doing Batman, only difference is that I haven’t read Rucka’s WW yet (but I will someday) and, since it seems to deal with a daughter, maybe in won’t be so focused on Diana. I haven’t read anything written by Kelly Sue, but at least I know the art will be nice. I hope she delivers a great script! I haven’t much to say about John Ridley either. I liked 12 years a slave, so there’s that at least
    "The Batman is Gotham City. I will watch him. Study him. And when I know him and why he does not kill, I will know this city. And then Gotham will be MINE!"-BANE

"We're monsters, buddy. Plain and simple. I don't dress it up with fancy names like mutant or post-human; men were born crueler than Apes and we were born crueler than men. It's just the natural order of things"-ULTIMATE SABRETOOTH

The Detective Man The Dying Detective's Avatar

Diana's Daughter is playing it coy too. Not really confirming it to be Diana's literal daughter.

I think there are plenty of real reasons as to why fandoms need to be weaned off this weird obsession with special bloodlines. It's how we ended up with a dumb and unnecessary internet war over Rey's heritage lacking that Skywalker/Kenobi special sauce. Arguably that's also how we wound up with "Zeus's Daughter Diana".

As I said before, Rucka is one of the few creators whom I trust no matter which direction he goes in. But I'd prefer it if this protagonist was just a normal everywoman who was that inspired by Diana to rise up against an oppressive and exploitative system. For me the impact of WW's legacy is diluted a little if the heroine has the Amazon/Zeus equivalent of Midichlorians in her blood.
    When you hear words like heritage coy is a little out the window. Well let's be honest people just love the classic bildungsroman stories where a boy or girl becomes a man or woman. And the idea that one is born into this great bloodline gives it that extra kick that a person was born for greatness despite his or her humble origins. And this girl in Diana's Daughter might not be any different. And she is already part of this uprising per the summary.
    "Excellent!" I cried. "Elementary," said he