Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post
    Diana's Daughter is playing it coy too. Not really confirming it to be Diana's literal daughter.

I think there are plenty of real reasons as to why fandoms need to be weaned off this weird obsession with special bloodlines. It's how we ended up with a dumb and unnecessary internet war over Rey's heritage lacking that Skywalker/Kenobi special sauce. Arguably that's also how we wound up with "Zeus's Daughter Diana".
    Its not the fandom's fault when the materials ask for everyone to assume there's a special heritage going on. That's why there was the debate about Rey, it was invited upon and fostered not only in the first film itself but in interviews given by cast and crew afterwards. And when you name a book, even tentatively, Diana's daughter, people are going to assume biological daughter.

I'm not saying there's anything wrong with going in different directions, but at the same time its weak to blame collective fanbases for voicing and debating things they are purposely invited by the makers of the content to assume/ponder.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 03-10-2018 at 11:59 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Most of these sound uninspired. I am very much looking forward to Superman Year One by Miller. It's probably the only title from DC other than Wonder Woman Earth One vol 2 after Action 1000 I'll get in the next year or more.

Az on Bats Rucka on WW Syder on Batman, these sound like reruns to be honest.

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Its not the fandom's fault when the materials ask for everyone to assume there's a special heritage going on. That's why there was the debate about Rey, it was invited upon and fostered not only in the first film itself but in interviews given by cast and crew afterwards. And when you name a book, even tentatively, Diana's daughter, people are going to assume biological daughter.

I'm not saying there's anything wrong with going in different directions, but at the same time its weak to blame collective fanbases for voicing and debating things they are purposely invited by the makers of the content to assume/ponder.
    "To assume/ponder" is one thing. To throw childish tantrums when it doesn't turn out to be the case is completely another.

Also, I don't think there as many people who will take "Diana's Daughter" as literally as that. I mean, there are real life names that end with "son". Even the Scottish "Mac" or "Mc" stands for son. Doesn't mean people with the last name "Donaldson" or "McDonald" are literally sons of Donald.

The Detective Man The Dying Detective's Avatar

"To assume/ponder" is one thing. To throw childish tantrums when it doesn't turn out to be the case is completely another.

Also, I don't think there as many people who will take "Diana's Daughter" as literally as that. I mean, there are real life names that end with "son". Even the Scottish "Mac" or "Mc" stands for son. Doesn't mean people with the last name "Donaldson" or "McDonald" are literally sons of Donald.
    Most people are generally simple minded folk so of course they will take Diana's Daughter quite literally unless proven otherwise even if they have the knowledge of real life names. Of course even then it won't stop the childishness.
    "Excellent!" I cried. "Elementary," said he

Ah, well of course I'm not advocating for those who go all nuts about it.

But I'm still of the opinion that more than not would take Diana's Daughter at face value. But, considering this is the working title, it will probably be changed anyway and who knows, maybe "daughter" won't feature anywhere in it. But if it does I would figure most to assume a biological child. Not to say all will automatically be ticked off if that ends up not the case in the story.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 03-11-2018 at 12:57 AM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

BANNED

Diana's Daughter is playing it coy too. Not really confirming it to be Diana's literal daughter.
    But "Diana's For Real Biological Daughter" is such an awkward title.

I think there are plenty of real reasons as to why fandoms need to be weaned off this weird obsession with special bloodlines. It's how we ended up with a dumb and unnecessary internet war over Rey's heritage lacking that Skywalker/Kenobi special sauce. Arguably that's also how we wound up with "Zeus's Daughter Diana".
    I think we ended up with that because the clay origin wasn't really working for a lot of people. Or really, really wasn't working in my case. Or for DC who kept doing stories about her being a literal golem.

As I said before, Rucka is one of the few creators whom I trust no matter which direction he goes in. But I'd prefer it if this protagonist was just a normal everywoman who was that inspired by Diana to rise up against an oppressive and exploitative system. For me the impact of WW's legacy is diluted a little if the heroine has the Amazon/Zeus equivalent of Midichlorians in her blood.
    Blame Marston. He made Diana the daughter of the queen of a race of extra special women who live on Paradise Island, blessed by the actual gods no less, instead of some homeless girl from New York.

BANNED

Except its not called Macdiana.

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post

I think we ended up with that because the clay origin wasn't really working for a lot of people.
    Then again, I heard the same thing about Superman’s trunks and those are coming back.

Or for DC who kept doing stories about her being a literal golem.
    Here’s the thing. Those stories not only weren’t accurate but were largely considered terrible. If bad stories were enough of a reason to get rid of an origin, any and all origins should be earsed.

Blame Marston. He made Diana the daughter of the queen of a race of extra special women who live on Paradise Island, blessed by the actual gods no less, instead of some homeless girl from New York.
    I can’t believe I’m about to defend Marston here, but it was pointed out that anyone could achieve what the Amazons did in his original stories. Even their powers were things other people could be taught to unlock.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Here’s the thing. Those stories not only weren’t accurate but were largely considered terrible.
    They were also Canon.

I can’t believe I’m about to defend Marston here, but it was pointed out that anyone could achieve what the Amazons did in his original stories. Even their powers were things other people could be taught to unlock.
    "You too can be strong enough to lift tanks if you work out using proper secret Amazon exercises." doesn't really sound like something anybody can achieve.

They were also Canon.

"You too can be strong enough to lift tanks if you work out using proper secret Amazon exercises." doesn't really sound like something anybody can achieve.
    As is a lot of bad stuff. They could have just ignored it especially as it was a only a handful of stories.
    In universe it was something they could achieve. And it wasn't secret.
    Last edited by Agent Z; 03-11-2018 at 04:17 AM.

The Detective Man The Dying Detective's Avatar

Comics were never known for their realism even now when people try to apply realism to them. In some ways I am advocate of the Zeus connection I'm not sure why but it's an interesting spin for me.
    Last edited by The Dying Detective; 03-11-2018 at 09:35 AM.
    "Excellent!" I cried. "Elementary," said he

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

As I said before, Rucka is one of the few creators whom I trust no matter which direction he goes in. But I'd prefer it if this protagonist was just a normal everywoman who was that inspired by Diana to rise up against an oppressive and exploitative system. For me the impact of WW's legacy is diluted a little if the heroine has the Amazon/Zeus equivalent of Midichlorians in her blood.
    I agree that Rey being related to someone already established would have been dumb, and I'm glad it has been revealed she isn't related to someone. That she's a "nobody." That being said, even though the creators stupidly encouraged the debates, the title of Episode VII wasn't "Luke Skywalker's Daughter" before they backtracked.

If they don't want it to be a biological daughter, or even a girl she adopted and raised, they should have listed the working title as "Diana's Heir" or something in their big news worthy announcement to the fandom.

There's also not a huge obsession with special bloodlines, at least in DC fandom, that I have seen. The two most popular possible heirs to Batman and the Flash are NOT related by blood after all. Even when Morrison introduced Damian, Dick got first dibs at the mantle for several obvious reasons. With WW project, the expectations wouldn't be there if the title wasn't what it is, and if there wasn't already a possible candidate (Lyta Trevor) who hasn't gotten any focus in a long ass time.

This working title isn't a proper name with another meaning though, it is literally "Diana's Daughter." Until they change it, there really isn't much room for interpretation.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

EDIT: Double post.

Im hoping they do a god and monsters miniseries set after the movie.

Other than that im ok with the imprint but havent seen anything im that interested in.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    As is a lot of bad stuff. They could have just ignored it especially as it was a only a handful of stories.
    It was the story that soft-rebooted Wonder Woman after Infinite Crisis. Kinda hard to ignore. It was the basis of her entire characterisation at the time.