Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    It was the story that soft-rebooted Wonder Woman after Infinite Crisis. Kinda hard to ignore. It was the basis of her entire characterisation at the time.
    When has that stopped DC? Especially when it comes to WW?

I have a high hope for this line because DC always shine in AU storylines.

Quote Originally Posted by Rise View Post
    I have a high hope for this line because DC always shine in AU storylines.
    I have a high hope for this line because DC always shine in AU storylines ...that are centered around the same 3 to 5 characters.

I don't think I've seen an AU not centered around one of the trinity in some regards, I would say half of those stories than expand to include other characters b/c it became popular enough.
    My priority is black female characters; everything else is secondary.

~~

Marvel: Miles Morales, Riri Williams, Ororo Munroe, Thor, Quentin Quire.
    DC Comics: Vixen, Batman, Bat Family, John Stewart, Roy Harper, Tempest, Poison Ivy, Raven.
    Comics: Y: The Last Man, Justice League America (2009), Ultimate Comics: All New Spider-Man (2011)
    Ships: Thororo/ThunderStorm, Vixen/hasn't been created, Jason Todd/Kathy Duquesne.

~~

Icon/Avatar by LoneNecromancer

Fantastic Member

Of course. No ones gonna but an AU B-Lister. That’s not how you start a line.

Quote Originally Posted by ross61 View Post
    Of course. No ones gonna but an AU B-Lister. That’s not how you start a line.
    There wouldn't be a B-lister line let alone anything below that in the first place if DC learned how to "share the wealth"

Also did DC just not start a whole line centered on mostly on new characters...
    Last edited by kurenai24; 04-08-2018 at 07:10 PM.
    My priority is black female characters; everything else is secondary.

~~

Marvel: Miles Morales, Riri Williams, Ororo Munroe, Thor, Quentin Quire.
    DC Comics: Vixen, Batman, Bat Family, John Stewart, Roy Harper, Tempest, Poison Ivy, Raven.
    Comics: Y: The Last Man, Justice League America (2009), Ultimate Comics: All New Spider-Man (2011)
    Ships: Thororo/ThunderStorm, Vixen/hasn't been created, Jason Todd/Kathy Duquesne.

~~

Icon/Avatar by LoneNecromancer

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by kurenai24 View Post
    There wouldn't be a B-lister line let alone anything below that in the first place if DC learned how to "share the wealth"

Also did DC just not great a whole line centered on mostly on new characters...
    Yes. and look at how that's doing for them.

Quote Originally Posted by kurenai24 View Post
    I have a high hope for this line because DC always shine in AU storylines ...that are centered around the same 3 to 5 characters.

I don't think I've seen an AU not centered around one of the trinity in some regards, I would say half of those stories than expand to include other characters b/c it became popular enough.
    I know that he is related to Batman, but Nightwing got is own elseworlds tale in Nightwing: The New Order.
    It's the Dynamic Duo! Batman and Robin!... and Red Robin and Red Hood and Nightwing and Batwoman and Batgirl and Orphan and Spoiler and Bluebird and Lark and Gotham Girl and Talon and Batwing and Huntress and Azreal and Flamebird and Batcow?

Since when could just anybody do what we trained to do? It makes it all dumb instead of special. Like it doesn't matter anymore.
    -Dick Grayson (Batman Inc.)

Look at the Earth One line. You start with Superman and Batman to build awareness. Then they moved on to WW and Teen Titans. Now they just did GL which is apparently a smashing success. This is starting with two WW titles, which is more respect than she has gotten in a while. If these do well I have no doubt we'll start seeing some B-Listers. Heck Constantine is co-starring in Damned with Batman. I just hope we get another Supes' title that's not a bloody origin or death story.

Mighty Member

A lot of you are missing the point as usual. There is nothing brave or bold about this line. They are literally playing it safe and you guys eat it up....as usual. They really couldn't launch with a mixture of A list characters, moderately known characters and niche characters?

Besides John Ridley`s project. Everything else is the same old BS. I swear if you guys were in charge of DC, everything character would be an afterthought.

Talk to me when DC is does something interesting and new with an imprint.
    Last edited by Raijin; 04-08-2018 at 03:35 PM.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmic Black View Post
    A lot of you are missing the point as usual. There is nothing brave or bold about this line. They are literally playing it safe and you guys eat it up....as usual. They really couldn't launch with a mixture of A list characters, moderately known characters and niche characters?

Besides John Ridley`s project. Everything else is the same old BS. I swear if you guys were in charge of DC, everything character would be an afterthought.
    Being given free reign to do whatever they want on the big name characters in a continuity light setting is likely what enticed the creators involved to sign on in the first place. Kelly Sue DeConnick getting to do a mature readers's Wonder Woman story? I doubt they had to twist her arm to do it. We can't just assume that the creators involved would be as excited to work on more niche characters, at least over the Trinity.

You wouldn't need a whole other label for experimentation with smaller properties. That can be done in the main universe where fans don't have as much rigid expectations as they do with the bigger characters.

Talk to me when DC is does something interesting and new with an imprint.
    I'd check out Young Animal, which has revived a few very obscure properties and invented a new one (Mother Panic). There is also the Wildstorm imprint and the new upcoming Sandman line.

Mighty Member

I'd check out Young Animal, which has revived a few very obscure properties and invented a new one (Mother Panic). There is also the Wildstorm imprint and the new upcoming Sandman line.[/QUOTE]

I love Young Animal. Haven't read Mother Panic though to Bat Fatigue. Wildstorm`s Michael Cray is excellent. There are so many dc characters in dire need of exposure. To me it sucks that they focus on the trinity. I know people who think that dc only has Bats, Superman and WW. That's not a good look.

Hey Baby--Wha's Happ'nin? HandofPrometheus's Avatar

DC always start a line with a-listers then end it there. We not going to see Earth One books with b-listers. I would like to be proven wrong but I don't think it's happening.

I love Young Animal. Haven't read Mother Panic though to Bat Fatigue. Wildstorm`s Michael Cray is excellent. There are so many dc characters in dire need of exposure. To me it sucks that they focus on the trinity. I know people who think that dc only has Bats, Superman and WW. That's not a good look.
    If they want to get attention on this label, it makes sense to go where the money is and strengthen it by leading with your big characters. That's how the Earth One books work. There, we even got TT before Wonder Woman, and we just got Green Lantern. That very much seemed to be the intent with the DCEU before they bitched up the execution for the most part and now we're in a wait and see mode. Even so, 2 of the three films in production right now don't have a Trinity member.

John Ridley's book is an indicator that this label won't just be the Trinity if it takes off.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    If they want to get attention on this label, it makes sense to go where the money is and strengthen it by leading with your big characters. That's how the Earth One books work. There, we even got TT before Wonder Woman, and we just got Green Lantern. That very much seemed to be the intent with the DCEU before they bitched up the execution for the most part and now we're in a wait and see mode. Even so, 2 of the three films in production right now don't have a Trinity member.

John Ridley's book is an indicator that this label won't just be the Trinity if it takes off.

You mean the guys who can can have book after books and NEVER have to worry about the anti-diveristy crowd?

A line with Hal, Clark, Bruce & Diana is a line pandering to that crowd.

A line NOT taking advantage of the message Black Panther among others have shown. You can have success without the A listers.

All I see from that list is a bunch of books that are dust holders at the library or trade bin packers like the others.

Sooner or later you have to be bold and move beyond that group.

Is it that hard to think outside the box for DC?

What if a rocket ship from Earth crashed with Victor Stone on Krypton?
    What if Batman's first Robin was Duke or Cassandra Cain?

WHere are those stories at?

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    You mean the guys who can can have book after books and NEVER have to worry about the anti-diveristy crowd?

A line with Hal, Clark, Bruce & Diana is a line pandering to that crowd.
    All fans of those characters inherently don't like diversity at all? News to me. The anti-diversity crowed doesn't strike me as one that would be thrilled with a queer powerful woman like Wonder Woman and the two announced books that don't sound like they are focusing on (just) her: one is starring her mother, the other her daughter. One of which has a female author and a gay artist. Knowing that, would the anti-diversity crowd pick up the book? Greg Rucka is no doubt going to have some queer women in his book besides just Diana as well.

A line NOT taking advantage of the message Black Panther among others have shown. You can have success without the A listers.
    We already have a book announced with this line that doesn't feature any A-listers, with potential for more to come. And they have two other lines without A-listers in them, with a third (the Sandman) which has no DC superheroes in it at all.

All I see from that list is a bunch of books that are dust holders at the library or trade bin packers like the others.
    Which "others" would those be?

Sooner or later you have to be bold and move beyond that group.

Is it that hard to think outside the box for DC?
    Well, they are thinking outside the box with various imprints, and they did launch a new line of books with completely new characters in them. Unfortunately, is the latter not doing that well?

What if a rocket ship from Earth crashed with Victor Stone on Krypton?
    What if Batman's first Robin was Duke or Cassandra Cain?

WHere are those stories at?
    I think having Duke be his first Robin in a tale wouldn't go over well, and not due to his skin color. The characters being shoved into the already crowded Bat-Family with characters struggling for screen time hasn't endeared him to everybody. Nevertheless, I wouldn't be surprised to see him in Snyder's Black Label book.

Beyond that, you'd first have to determine if the writers involved would want to tell those tales. Would Rucka rather tell a story with Duke (not even his own creation)...or tell a story about Wonder Woman's daughter, and have free reign over how it's executed?