Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 391011121314 LastLast
    Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by RepHope View Post
    And they'll be cancelled within 3 issues just like BP and the Crew was. And DC has an entire imprint devoted to "weird" stuff with Young Animal, and the New Age of Heroes to try new characters, so I'm not sure what your point is.

Edit: Also I have to laugh at any suggestion that Marvel is somehow more creative than DC when Weapon H is a thing.
    Learn to read. Because I was pretty much implying that Marvel takes far more chances than DC. I've noticed that for years.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    "They're not trying new stuff that appeals to me specifically" is really not the same as "They are not trying new stuff AT ALL." not all the imprints have the Trinity, one of the Batman ones has John Constantine in it, we're not exactly swimming in Hippolyta stories, and Diana's daughter will either be someone new or Lyta. And how often do we get to see her?
    It's Batman co-starring John Constantine. Why not John without Batman?

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmic Black View Post
    Learn to read. Because I was pretty much implying that Marvel takes far more chances than DC. I've noticed that for years.

It's Batman co-starring John Constantine. Why not John without Batman?
    Take your own advice friend, because you claiming Marvel takes more chances is specifically what I was calling out.

Mighty Member

People love bringing up sales in an argument. There are/were so many books that have been selling moderately well and poorly. Yet they still maintained consistent and enjoyable reading experience. Don't talk to me about sales. I'm not the one.

People love bringing up sales in an argument. There are/were so many books that have been selling moderately well and poorly. Yet they still maintained consistent and enjoyable reading experience. Don't talk to me about sales. I'm not the one.
    You're asking why they don't put out a book in the first wave not focused on the Trinity. Sales is the answer. It's fair game to criticize DC for it, but stomping your feet and saying "I don't care" is just a waste of time. DC is doing this specifically to create more "evergreen" trades like DKR, Watchmen, and TKJ.

Mighty Member

Take your own advice friend, because you claiming Marvel takes more chances is specifically what I was calling out.
    Someone doesn't have the range. In MY comic book reading/collecting experience Marvel has taken more chances than DC and it seems like they still do at times. I'm done with this. You can move along now.

Someone doesn't have the range. In MY comic book reading/collecting experience Marvel has taken more chances than DC and it seems like they still do at times. I'm done with this. You can move along now.
    So no basis in reality. 'K, cya.

And they'll be cancelled within 3 issues just like BP and the Crew was. And DC has an entire imprint devoted to "weird" stuff with Young Animal, and the New Age of Heroes to try new characters, so I'm not sure what your point is.

Edit: Also I have to laugh at any suggestion that Marvel is somehow more creative than DC when Weapon H is a thing.
    When did I mention BP and what does Marvel's trigger finger on cancellations have to do with the fact that DC keeps using the same characters over and over and over again.

The point of me quoting that post that said DC does AU's well was that you can't claim DC is good at something when they only use 3 to 5 characters to showcase creativity, half of the AU's DC has is centered on Batman, we literally had an event based on Batman AU's.

I could have sworn my posts were fairly clear and coherent.

At least Marvel is doing something different, who cares if you think Weapon H isn't creative enough, at least they're trying something new which DC is not doing with this Black Label.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    "They're not trying new stuff that appeals to me specifically" is really not the same as "They are not trying new stuff AT ALL." not all the imprints have the Trinity, one of the Batman ones has John Constantine in it, we're not exactly swimming in Hippolyta stories, and Diana's daughter will either be someone new or Lyta. And how often do we get to see her?
    They're not trying new stuff that appeals to me nor are they trying new stuff at all. How about that...

Talking about the bold, both those center on one of the trinity which is what some of us don't want, just b/c some other character is included in a book, it does not mean the focus will be equally distributed in the pages.

~~

DC should be proud for having such loyal followers who defend them for doing the bare minimum ...it could not be.
    My priority is black female characters; everything else is secondary.

~~

Marvel: Miles Morales, Riri Williams, Ororo Munroe, Thor, Quentin Quire.
    DC Comics: Vixen, Batman, Bat Family, John Stewart, Roy Harper, Tempest, Poison Ivy, Raven.
    Comics: Y: The Last Man, Justice League America (2009), Ultimate Comics: All New Spider-Man (2011)
    Ships: Thororo/ThunderStorm, Vixen/hasn't been created, Jason Todd/Kathy Duquesne.

~~

Icon/Avatar by LoneNecromancer

Quote Originally Posted by kurenai24 View Post
    When did I mention BP and what does Marvel's trigger finger on cancellations have to do with the fact that DC keeps using the same characters over and over and over again.

The point of me quoting that post that said DC does AU's well was that you can't claim DC is good at something when they only use 3 to 5 characters to showcase creativity, half of the AU's DC has is centered on Batman, we literally had an event based on Batman AU's.

At least Marvel is doing something different, who cares if you think Weapon H isn't creative enough, at least they're trying something new which DC is not doing with this Black Label.

They're not trying new stuff that appeals to me nor are they trying new stuff at all. How about that...

Talking about the bold, both those center on one of the trinity which is what some of us don't want, just b/c some other character is included in a book, it does not mean the focus will be equally distributed in the pages.

~~

DC should be proud for having such loyal followers who defend them for doing the bare minimum ...it could not be.
    I was using it more as an example. You argued that the DC brand alone was strong enough to carry any character to success. I pointed to an example where that was not true (sadly). BP is a stronger brand than it has ever been, but that wasn't enough to make WoW a success.

At least Marvel is doing something different
    They are literally making a Wolverine/Hulk hybrid, that is NOT creative or different at all. You've got YA already for new and different. You've got the NAoH for new and different (for some of them anyway).

Mighty Member

~~

Agreed with all of this. This is what I like about Marvel. They won't get discouraged if a character doesn't work out. They'll keep trying......as they should. When a character at dc doesn't do well. I bet you won't see that character ever again for years and years.
    Last edited by Raijin; 04-08-2018 at 09:23 PM.
    Imagine being proud to have negative traits. I can’t relate.

DC: Justice League, The Flash, Justice League Dark, Superman, Action Comics, Green Arrow, Justice League Odyssey, The Terrifics, Teen Titans, Titans, Brimstone, Female Furies, Damage, Heroes In Crisis

Marvel: The Punisher, Cosmic Ghost Rider, Venom, X-23, Cloak and Dagger, Jessica Jones, Sentry

Indies: Unnatural, Jeepers Creepers, Project Superpowers, Black Hammer, Ninja-K

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    You mean the guys who can can have book after books and NEVER have to worry about the anti-diveristy crowd?

A line with Hal, Clark, Bruce & Diana is a line pandering to that crowd.

A line NOT taking advantage of the message Black Panther among others have shown. You can have success without the A listers.

All I see from that list is a bunch of books that are dust holders at the library or trade bin packers like the others.

Sooner or later you have to be bold and move beyond that group.

Is it that hard to think outside the box for DC?

What if a rocket ship from Earth crashed with Victor Stone on Krypton?
    What if Batman's first Robin was Duke or Cassandra Cain?

WHere are those stories at?
    Duke is already in an Elseworlds, its called White Knight and he may also be in Snyder's White Knight. Besides what difference would any of this make again? in the actual continuity established by Snyder and Tynion Duke met Bruce before he met any of the Robins. Similarly he got involved with Harper and Cass just after Dick and before any of the others. The story you're looking for is already there.
    And it doesn't really change anything other than making them Robin. What difference would your suggested stories make that require an Elseworlds format? absolutely nothing other than subtracting some existing characters so that Duke and Cass would get some spotlight. In White Knight Murphy actually did make Jason the first Robin and yet it made no difference.
    I can easily suggest a story where they make Damian the first Robin and it would be no different from any Damian story in canon.

What if Batman was Black Lightning? would you like that. Same thing as your idea for a Cyborg story.
    Last edited by Armor of God; 04-08-2018 at 11:06 PM.

BANNED

By this you mean taking established mantles and giving them to lesser known characters right? a process they have abandoned and it stopped being creative after they did it the first time. I dont like getting involved in these Marvel vs DC arguments because I think both have flaws and their own strengths but this taking chances and creativity arguments are just false. So lets assume DC makes Orpheus Batman, what part of this is creative and taking chances?
    With these different lines DC is bringing in different authors from different segments, experimenting with format that books are published in etc. I see this as taking chances and being creative not X replacing Y.

~~

The Amazons and Diana'a Daughter are about Wonder Woman's people and her child respectively not Wonder Woman herself. Hell, Diana probably won't even appear in The Amazons since it's about the history of the Amazons aka before Diana was even born.

There's also the Other History of The DCU which centers on non-Trinity characters.

Also, what do you call the Dark Matter titles?

BANNED

I'd also add that Frank Miller's Superman isn't exactly something that Superman fans were screaming for nor is it something most fans would scream for with their own favorite characters haha. Besides its was announced a while ago, before this imprint. Same goes for Snyder's Last Knight on Earth, that one has been on the works for years. Snyder would have had it published in All Star Batman anyway if not for Metal and JL taking his time and White Knight keeping Murphy busy.

So the exclusive content offered by this line is:

A Batman/Constantine story
    2 Wonder Woman books that dont even appear to be about Wonder Woman.

The fuss is unwarranted.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Armor of God View Post
    I'd also add that Frank Miller's Superman isn't exactly something that Superman fans were screaming for nor is it something most fans would scream for with their own favorite characters haha. Besides its was announced a while ago, before this imprint. Same goes for Snyder's Last Knight on Earth, that one has been on the works for years. Snyder would have had it published in All Star Batman anyway if not for Metal and JL taking his time and White Knight keeping Murphy busy.

So the exclusive content offered by this line is:

A Batman/Constantine story
    2 Wonder Woman books that dont even appear to be about Wonder Woman.

The fuss is unwarranted.
    Unwarranted to [B]YOU[B]

Who are you to say someone's complaints are unwarranted? You don't have the authority. (thank the heavens) Just because you and countless others are over the moon about something doesn't mean that other people have to be. People have every right to complain about whatever they feel like on here.

With that being said. I have high hopes for The Other Side of the DC Universe. It doesn't seem like a project that's safe and i have so much respect for that. Real artists challenge themselves.

DC: Justice League, The Flash, Justice League Dark, Superman, Action Comics, Green Arrow, Justice League Odyssey, The Terrifics, Teen Titans, Titans, Brimstone, Female Furies, Damage, Heroes In Crisis

Marvel: The Punisher, Cosmic Ghost Rider, Venom, X-23, Cloak and Dagger, Jessica Jones, Sentry

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Armor of God View Post
    By this you mean taking established mantles and giving them to lesser known characters right? a process they have abandoned and it stopped being creative after they did it the first time. I dont like getting involved in these Marvel vs DC arguments because I think both have flaws and their own strengths but this taking chances and creativity arguments are just false. So lets assume DC makes Orpheus Batman, what part of this is creative and taking chances?
    With these different lines DC is bringing in different authors from different segments, experimenting with format that books are published in etc. I see this as taking chances and being creative not X replacing Y.
    1. If that's what you think I'm talking about, then i don't know what to tell you.

2. Different authors, different segments, etc, etc. With SAME EXACT CHARACTERS THEY ALWAYS USE. What are you not getting? How is it called taking a chance when the imprint is Batman, Superman and Wonder Woman?