Page 24 of 126 FirstFirst ... 142021222324252627283474124 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Pinsir View Post
    He didn't but even then his Amazons weren't pigeon holes to a single ethnic name; Hippolyta is Greek, Diana is Roman, Mala is...uh...Indian? Paula is Roman too, but her name is more of a generic (where as Wonder Woman is specifically mentioned after the moon goddess). The thing with Greek names too is that they are very difficult to pronounce by modern audiances, I mean I'm sure most people pronounce Hippo wrong, so when you got a lot of other 'foreign', hard to pronounce character names it will make the reading experience a bit choppier.
    The vast majority of Amazons who have appeared have been largely background supporting characters, so it's not like they've all individually been integral to a story that giving them a consistent naming pattern hurts them. And if the names are tough for modern audiences, well then it encourages people to learn something. It's not like it's anymore they're anymore ridiculous than the made up names of the alien Lantern Corp members or characters from fantasy series.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    The vast majority of Amazons who have appeared have been largely background supporting characters, so it's not like they've all individually been integral to a story that giving them a consistent naming pattern hurts them. And if the names are tough for modern audiences, well then it encourages people to learn something. It's not like it's anymore they're anymore ridiculous than the made up names of the alien Lantern Corp members or characters from fantasy series.
    It usually isn't a problem, but this book is putting the Amazons front and centre and if this work is still being written, I think I should point out a potential problem. The funny thing with a lot of 'alien' names though, is because they use common English pronunciation for words, they are actually very pronounceable. I imagine most English speakers would pronounce names like Kilowog and Kenjar Ro the same way, with exception to a few local flourishes, but the Greek language has sounds that don't really exist in English. Like, I'm pretty sure I only learned how to say Hippolyta's name, because of the movie (and they may have also gotten it wrong too).
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pinsir View Post
    It usually isn't a problem, but this book is putting the Amazons front and centre and if this work is still being written, I think I should point out a potential problem. The funny thing with a lot of 'alien' names though, is because they use common English pronunciation for words, they are actually very pronounceable. I imagine most English speakers would pronounce names like Kilowog and Kenjar Ro the same way, with exception to a few local flourishes, but the Greek language has sounds that don't really exist in English. Like, I'm pretty sure I only learned how to say Hippolyta's name, because of the movie (and they may have also gotten it wrong too).
    The way I pronounce the names when I'm reading are probably wrong (ex: Euboea), but they're easy enough to read and get by. And all distinct from each other and easy to keep track of.

I don't think this will be a hurdle for many people unless they are really determined to pronounce everything just right, and if that's their interest it will probably be a draw for them.

Just epic stuff thus far (the profiles), I must say.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Jimenez did another interview where he answered some questions regarding Historia

-As before, he and DeConnick were signed a few days before this was announced and another reason for the length is apparently the first time he's doing digital for his art.
    -Plan is tentatively still to be released with the movie, though still up in the air on that.
    -The gods will apparently have multiple looks (he says something like six) throughout the first volume (?), there's about 14 gods.
    -Nothing new, but more talk on the Amazons getting individualized designs. Inspiration for being taken from across various historical eras for the Amazons while more normal characters will correspond to period appropriate Ancient Greece stuff.
    -Sounds like the Amazons might divided up amongst which goddesses they worship/take after.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Jimenez did another interview where he answered some questions regarding Historia

-As before, he and DeConnick were signed a few days before this was announced and another reason for the length is apparently the first time he's doing digital for his art.
    -Plan is tentatively still to be released with the movie, though still up in the air on that.
    -The gods will apparently have multiple looks (he says something like six) throughout the first volume (?), there's about 14 gods.
    -Nothing new, but more talk on the Amazons getting individualized designs. Inspiration for being taken from across various historical eras for the Amazons while more normal characters will correspond to period appropriate Ancient Greece stuff.
    -Sounds like the Amazons might divided up amongst which goddesses they worship/take after.
    Yeah, they really should disregard the movie release at this point lol.

Very interesting stuff with the Gods. Any guesses on who? I imagine it's the 12 Olympians (Hestia instead of Dionysus) and maybe Hades + Persephone? And did he mean each of the Gods would get 6 looks? That's insane.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    Yeah, they really should disregard the movie release at this point lol.

Very interesting stuff with the Gods. Any guesses on who? I imagine it's the 12 Olympians (Hestia instead of Dionysus) and maybe Hades + Persephone? And did he mean each of the Gods would get 6 looks? That's insane.
    Don’t imagine they all have that many (the Goddesses will probably) but I assume they’ll at least get more than one. The snippets of Hera he’s shared look she dressed differently in some scenes. Wouldn’t be surprised if he uses it to sneak in references to previous looks, like Perez Ares maybe.

Art is shaping to definitely be worth the wait, looks like will blow most other BL stuff I’ve seen out of the water. He speaks pretty highly of DeConnick and the script so hopefully that speaks good for the story.

Has a real “Mother Nature” look to her.
    Last edited by Gaius; 10-07-2020 at 07:54 AM.

And now we have a bunch of animal skulls. I wonder what the context is here? One has a rune on it

https://www.instagram.com/p/CGSinaXBa-Y/

And now we have a bunch of animal skulls. I wonder what the context is here? One has a rune on it

https://www.instagram.com/p/CGSinaXBa-Y/
    Something maybe for Artemis (goddess of the hunt and animals) or old-style animal ritual sacrifice.

Another Amazon on Instagram, though unfortunately not another profile. And so far he didn't identify who it was.

Maybe Euboea? Neat design as always though

https://www.instagram.com/p/CG0cyMah-vm/

Another Amazon on Instagram, though unfortunately not another profile. And so far he didn't identify who it was.

Maybe Euboea? Neat design as always though

https://www.instagram.com/p/CG0cyMah-vm/
    His comment along with the pic is amusing, he certainly likes to make this challenging for himself.

Huh, guess he took it down for some reason?

Extraordinary Member

Jimenez posted this on twitter: