Page 55 of 126 FirstFirst ... 54551525354555657585965105 ... LastLast

Maaaan why? I hate her! Alkyone, Magala and the chick who's name starts with a D (Deniro?) that got all the male Amazons killed in Finch's run can all rot in the deepest pit of Tartarus. Not that I'm necessarily against evil Amazons it's just that those were so weak.

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

I think Alkyone and the Circle were great additions to WWs mythos/origin. Glad to see them come back.

Quote Originally Posted by Koriand'r View Post
    Maaaan why? I hate her! Alkyone, Magala and the chick who's name starts with a D (Deniro?) that got all the male Amazons killed in Finch's run can all rot in the deepest pit of Tartarus. Not that I'm necessarily against evil Amazons it's just that those were so weak.
    Hmm, I actually thought as far as the Wonder Woman Villain OCs go Alkyone was one of the stronger ones behind Cale.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

On my recent re-reads of Simone's run, I liked the Circle members more than I did the first few times I read them. As far as the Amazon cast is concerned, I'm usually a purist for the Marston and Perez Amazons being the cast, but can make exceptions for Rucka and Simone's contributions because they at least uses previous Amazons when creating new ones.

For Alkyone, I thought this Amazon from Phil's "body type" chart seemed like it could be her. A lot of Amazons are bald in this picture due to it being so basic, but IDK this one screams Alkyone with her pose and what we can see of her expression

Alkyone.JPG

I'm actually expecting Magala to be in this, even if I'm not thrilled that she'd be taking a spot that could be another classic Amazon. She's from the Byrne run and is tied to some post-Crisis Donna Troy nonsense, so I'm afraid she never had a shot with me lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Hmm, I actually thought as far as the Wonder Woman Villain OCs go Alkyone was one of the stronger ones behind Cale.
    Genocide is preferable to Alkyone for me. From that run I liked the Cititzenry and the Crows, both should still be around.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    On my recent re-reads of Simone's run, I liked the Circle members more than I did the first few times I read them. As far as the Amazon cast is concerned, I'm usually a purist for the Marston and Perez Amazons being the cast, but can make exceptions for Rucka and Simone's contributions because they at least uses previous Amazons when creating new ones.

For Alkyone, I thought this Amazon from Phil's "body type" chart seemed like it could be her. A lot of Amazons are bald in this picture due to it being so basic, but IDK this one screams Alkyone with her pose and what we can see of her expression

Alkyone.JPG

I'm actually expecting Magala to be in this, even if I'm not thrilled that she'd be taking a spot that could be another classic Amazon. She's from the Byrne run and is tied to some post-Crisis Donna Troy nonsense, so I'm afraid she never had a shot with me lol.
    lol There are so many better Amazons we could make a list and you're absolutely right about the sketch.

Alkyone.JPG
    Yeah, not much to go on but that facial sketch is rather Alkyone.

Genocide is preferable to Alkyone for me. From that run I liked the Cititzenry and the Crows, both should still be around.

I liked the Crows/Children of Ares (though maybe not how Simone created them) but Genocide's design and the editorial edicts on the book kind of undermined her appearances for me.

Genocide and the Crows were kind of duds for me, but Astarte was a solid revamp of an old character. I actually think there is a possibility she will be referenced in this since the Simone run had that weird bit where Astarte remembered being kidnapped when she and Hippolyta were mortal children. But the Perez run had Hippolyta be reincarnated as a grown woman which Diana herself references as a hole in Astarte's story. But here Hippolyta seems to be a mortal woman who becomes an Amazon and isn't "born" with the others.

lol There are so many better Amazons we could make a list and you're absolutely right about the sketch.
    I would much rather Areto or Castalia from Rucka's second run be featured here in what is likely to be Magala's place

From KSD and Jimenez's instagram

Yesterday, @kellysued shared on her own Insta the script and final color for Pages 4-5 of #WWHistoria, our upcoming #BlackLabel graphic novel from @dccomics about the history of #WonderWoman’s people, #TheAmazons, and her mother, the Amazon #queen #Hippolyta.

It was a perfect example of process and I wanted to share here, with one more image — the original line work, so folks can see the importance of color, too — in this case the incredible painting work of @evergreenfajardo.

I initially resisted taking this gig (years ago now), but Kelly Sue sold me on it — and while it’s been a longer journey than any one expected (for a range of reasons, from depression to Covid to just wanting to get it all “right”), it may be one of the best creative choices I’ve ever made.

It is hard to explain how sublime Kelly Sue’s writing is, and how perfect her approach is for me; I hope people take in her script because it is #everything. Kelly Sue is a master of craft, a master of rhythm and pace and emotional tenor, and more than anything, a master at evoking character through suggestion and evocation of imagery, of sensation, and tone. “Hera doesn’t flow. She CONFRONTS.” With these words, I knew *exactly* who our Hera was and needed to be visually. Kelly Sue gave me everything I needed right there. Her work is worth study by peers and new writers, and worth every penny we invest in it. I have learned so much from KS about so many things.

One thing that’s taken me so long on this project is that I wanted every panel of every page to match the excellence of the script that inspired it — and I think I succeeded, sometimes. I brought a lot to this project but every line and design exists only because of Kelly Sue and her work.

As you may have heard, #WWHistoria has been delayed a month — our colorists need more time to work (I’ve given them a LOT to color) and there’s an enormous pandemic-related paper shortage hitting our biz, who knew? — but I really am excited for you to see this work, and for all of you to discover just how special Ms. Kelly Sue is — if you didn’t know this already.

Yeah, not much to go on but that facial sketch is rather Alkyone.

I liked the Crows/Children of Ares (though maybe not how Simone created them) but Genocide's design and the editorial edicts on the book kind of undermined her appearances for me.
    If Genocide were allowed to be Knockout as originally intended it would've been a much better story. As is it was like DC had Gail write the book with one hand tied behind her back. Many of the problems with her run were entirely editorial's fault.

With all the handicaps Simone had going in and the messes she inherited, we really are lucky that her run ranges from great to solid at absolute worst.

If nothing else, Alkyone (and possibly Persephone) being in this will help cement her time on the title as having some importance.

For people wondering of HISTORIA is in-continuity or outside of continuity: Kelly Sue DeConnick confirms that it is outside of continuity.

https://twitter.com/kellysue/status/1435346288044773376

Untitled.jpg
    Author of the Instant New York Times bestselling novel, The Prophets, from G.P. Putnman's Sons.

Lol it probably will be made canon at some point.

And then back out again.

Lol it probably will be made canon at some point.

And then back out again.
    Well given “everything’s canon now”. It simultaneously will and won’t be canon.

If Genocide were allowed to be Knockout as originally intended it would've been a much better story. As is it was like DC had Gail write the book with one hand tied behind her back. Many of the problems with her run were entirely editorial's fault.
    Probably, though I've often said Simone had the reverse problem of Rucka's first run in that he didn't get a proper ending while she inherited a disaster.

Probably, though I've often said Simone had the reverse problem of Rucka's first run in that he didn't get a proper ending while she inherited a disaster.
    Somehow, writers hundreds of issues and and 2 reboots later still inherited the disaster that befell Diana because Rucka never got to properly end his first run.
    ~I just keep swimming through these threads~

Quote Originally Posted by I'm a Fish View Post
    Somehow, writers hundreds of issues and and 2 reboots later still inherited the disaster that befell Diana because Rucka never got to properly end his first run.
    Ah, the early 2000s. Before the dark times, before Max Lord...