Page 79 of 126 FirstFirst ... 296975767778798081828389 ... LastLast
Results 1,171 to 1,185 of 1885

Ironically, Ares and Hades (who are usually the most vilified in adaptations) are the least problematic in their treatment of women in mythology. Even Hermes has one or two rape stories.

spoilers:
    So that baby's soul is probably gonna be Diana, right?
    end of spoilers
    Quote Originally Posted by Psy-lock View Post
    Ironically, Ares and Hades (who are usually the most vilified in adaptations) are the least problematic in their treatment of women in mythology. Even Hermes has one or two rape stories.
    I think Hades depends on the interpretation ones wants to go with when it comes to the Persephone myth.

Though even then, he's lesser offender in comparison to his little brothers.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    spoilers:
    So that baby's soul is probably gonna be Diana, right?
    end of spoilers
    Yeah.

(...unless we are being set up for a red herring...)

~I just keep swimming through these threads~

Quote Originally Posted by I'm a Fish View Post
    Yeah.

(...unless we are being set up for a red herring...)

Wonder Woman Historia 2: The Rise of Jason as told by Max Lord.

Quote Originally Posted by Sebastianne View Post
    I will never understand that fascination that many of you have for Hermes, I always preferred that he not participate in the creation of Diana.
    Especially when we have Nikē, the Greek goddess of victory, as a perfectly appropriate replacement to gift Diana with superhuman speed. And yes, I know that some people might say that Nikē is not an Olympian and that, as such, should not be a part of Diana's origin, but who cares? The Greek myths have always been tweaked, shifted, subverted, etc. I adore the clay origin precisely because it is a purely female-centric origin for the premiere comic book superheroine, but I don't care about Hermes being part of her origin. Don't get me wrong, I don't mind the male gods being part of a supporting cast of characters in a WW book, and I would definitely not make them all villainous, but her creation should be, in my opinion, an act of female divinity and power. No dudes allowed in the "making of" Wonder Woman. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by HestiasHearth View Post
    Especially when we have Nikē, the Greek goddess of victory, as a perfectly appropriate replacement to gift Diana with superhuman speed. And yes, I know that some people might say that Nikē is not an Olympian and that, as such, should not be a part of Diana's origin, but who cares? The Greek myths have always been tweaked, shifted, subverted, etc. I adore the clay origin precisely because it is a purely female-centric origin for the premiere comic book superheroine, but I don't care about Hermes being part of her origin. Don't get me wrong, I don't mind the male gods being part of a supporting cast of characters in a WW book, and I would definitely not make them all villainous, but her creation should be, in my opinion, an act of female divinity and power. No dudes allowed in the "making of" Wonder Woman. LOL
    Yeah! I'm totally with you, I already said it once, even Athena through Nike could have given her the gift of flying if only the Olympians could participate. No Men allowed in Diana's mythology
    Last edited by Sebastianne; 12-02-2021 at 06:34 PM.

I’ve finished reading it now and I think it’s superb. BUT…I think much of the brilliance of this first book was revealed in the sneak peeks and previews—especially if you already know the outline of the beginning of the story (goddesses create Amazons). Saying that to say I’ll be avoiding threads and previews for the following books.
    “You see…the rest of them are soldiers. But [Wonder Woman] is an artist.”

I only support the made of clay origin.

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SonOfBaldwin View Post
    The cherry on top for me is how mad the misogynists and racists are that this book 1. exists and 2. is so damn amazing.

lol, 100%

I love seeing people so confidently incorrect.

"gOdZ aRE cIS, wHitE, aNd rAiL THin!"

Wow. Wow, wow, wow, wow, wow. The story is important, and the artwork is gorgeous. It's easy to throw around the superlatives, but there's no denying this—Wonder Woman Historia #1 is one of the best comics you can pick up this week. In fact, I'd go so much to guess this issue's going to find itself atop many year-end comics lists. Rightfully so, because it's sequential art done perfectly—a new standard the medium should aim to achieve.
    https://comicbook.com/comics/news/ne...mber-1-2021/#3
    Author of the Instant New York Times bestselling novel, The Prophets, from G.P. Putnman's Sons.

Fantastic Member VonHammersmark's Avatar

I haven’t read it but from the images I’ve seen online, Olympus is really impressive looking and some of the Gods look nice, extremely overcomplicated but nice nevertheless. Others, like Hecate, look like…a sea urchin? I can’t even work out what she’s supposed to be. The amount of detail in this book is astonishing and I commend Jimenez for putting so much effort into it, however, the end result is muddled there's no two ways about it, the foreground blends into the background and I don’t even know what I’m looking at. It's very Snyder-esque in a way. Wonder Woman Earth 1 is far more beautiful, that’s the Wonder Woman World that I wanna spend time in

Quote Originally Posted by Largo161 View Post
    I’ve finished reading it now and I think it’s superb. BUT…I think much of the brilliance of this first book was revealed in the sneak peeks and previews—especially if you already know the outline of the beginning of the story (goddesses create Amazons). Saying that to say I’ll be avoiding threads and previews for the following books.
    Kind of felt the same, lol.

Definitely happy it seems Ha isn’t in the business of posting sneak peaks, at least yet.

Quote Originally Posted by VonHammersmark View Post
    I haven’t read it but from the images I’ve seen online, Olympus is really impressive looking and some of the Gods look nice, extremely overcomplicated but nice nevertheless. Others, like Hecate, look like…a sea urchin? I can’t even work out what she’s supposed to be. The amount of detail in this book is astonishing and I commend Jimenez for putting so much effort into it, however, the end result is muddled there's no two ways about it, the foreground blends into the background and I don’t even know what I’m looking at. It's very Snyder-esque in a way. Wonder Woman Earth 1 is far more beautiful, that’s the Wonder Woman World that I wanna spend time in
    She's three spike-covered ladies on top on each other. Kind of like those Amazons from Justice League Dark.
    ~I just keep swimming through these threads~

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by charliehustle415 View Post
    lol, 100%

I love seeing people so confidently incorrect.

"gOdZ aRE cIS, wHitE, aNd rAiL THin!"
    Lol how much you wanna bet we didn't hear a peep out of these people when those pieces of crap Gods of Egypt and Exodus came out.

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    Lol how much you wanna bet we didn't hear a peep out of these people when those pieces of crap Gods of Egypt and Exodus came out.
    Exactly! Imagine being Egyptian and seeing that ****

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    It's always this way. The goal is not "accuracy" or "fairness," but to whitewash everything and preserve the alleged and mythical superiority of white supremacist capitalist patriarchy. That's why they are silent when Egyptian gods are represented as white, but have nuclear meltdown when Greek ones are represented as anything other than white.
    Author of the Instant New York Times bestselling novel, The Prophets, from G.P. Putnman's Sons.