Page 16 of 126 FirstFirst ... 61213141516171819202666116 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

Im not a fan of having 9 different artists...as I like some consistency so here's hoping they work it out to having 3. Or at least have Jimenez come back for the final issue.

Disappointing Jimenez won’t be on every issue but multiple artists could work depending on the ones they get and how the story is structured.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Jimenez not doing the whole thing is a severe let down since every tidbit looks absolutely gorgeous. I remember hearing there might be multiple artists, but I was hoping Phil was doing at least the first arc of three.

Still hyped, hopefully the other artists are up to par and meshes well with what Jimenez is doing.

EDIT: I do love her enthusiasm for the project, and it'd be neat if they could get Nicola Scott or Liam Sharp to do an issue.
    Though if Phil is only going to be doing the first issue, that's going to be a busy issue. We've got everything including the Gods and a lot of stuff with Hippolyta as well.
    Last edited by SiegePerilous02; 07-04-2020 at 08:38 PM.

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hypo View Post
    Kelly Sue was on the word balloon podcast, there was a little bit of Historia talk at the 1:19:17 and 2:04:47 marks:

• This is going to be 9 64 page issues - the original announcement said 3 issues
    • Jimenez isn't going to be the only artist
    • The artist who is doing issue #2 has started working on it
    • Her dream is that since it's 9 issues that they would be able to have 3 artists rotate and Jimenez would come back for issues #4 and #7 but that it's more likely that they go with a different artist on every issue
    • Unsure if the above means they've also picked out an artist for #3
    • Book starts with the goddesses deciding they need the amazons and ends with Steve Trevor crash landing onto the island
    • The story is Hippolyta as a homeric hero
    9 issues is a lot, even more if it's almost 3 issues of content per issue. That's about 27 issues of content. Very bummed that Jimenez wouldn't be able to do the whole thing, especially since they've been working for about 2 or more years on this.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

Sad to say, I'm starting to get some bad vibes about this project.

Now, in size it's similar to Stjepan Sejic's concept of Harleen, but he set it up as three rather different story arcs that could be developed, written, and sold independently, and he finished the first arc on time and with a realistic schedule. Here, we got both lots of delays since the first announcement and the scope creep from three to nine issues. And now the artist situation seems to be in lots of flux as well.

It also looks like a great visionary project, but on the periphery of Wonder Woman as a character. And to me, in the comics Diana isn't in need of some edgy reimagining or stuff in the periphery, because her central core as a character is so undefined and badly used.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

Fantastic Member

When was this comic suppose to come out?? Looking at this thread it was announced in March 2018!!! It's now July 5th 2020, it has been two years since this was announced!!

9 64 page issues for a WW story that doesn't even focus on Diana? Sounds like an overkill to me.

Quote Originally Posted by lotchj View Post
    When was this comic suppose to come out?? Looking at this thread it was announced in March 2018!!! It's now July 5th 2020, it has been two years since this was announced!!
    No date’s ever been given but I recall in an earlier interview a tentative plan was for it to release around the time of the movie, which is up in the air at the moment.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    No date’s ever been given but I recall in an earlier interview a tentative plan was for it to release around the time of the movie, which is up in the air at the moment.
    THANKS!!! I'll be looking for that announcement!!

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
    1) What Azz had the gall to do was not make the Amazon's flawed. Simone did that. What he did was make them monstrous and deeply unlikeable. Flawed would be "A small group of Amazons found childlessness deeply difficult to bear so they developed mental illnesses and a secret anti-child society called the Circle". Azz did "Amazons raped and murdered sailors and then murdered their male children, and then bullied young Diana mercilessly."

2) It's facile to say "what's wrong with Azz's Wonder Woman is that he just added a lot of dudes." But there's a core element of truth to that - Azzarello has little to say about women, the society of women, womanhood, femininity - except possibly that "women who live together for a long time become evil" - which...doesn't seem very appropriate for a Wonder Woman story. He's telling a deconstructionist fantasty/horror adventure story which happens to feature women. I don't think that adds significantly to Wonder Woman's mythology or thematic resonance.

3) I strongly disagree with any assertion that Rucka's second run is an abomination. You may dislike what it does, but the art and writing are both very high quality. Azz, on the other hand, is deeply debateable in terms of quality, and I think most Wonder Woman fans who didn't start with Azz find it pretty low quality.
    I disliked both Azzarello and Rucka runs! I will see what's happening with WW on this thread from time to time!! But I no longer buy WW comics!! Azz and Rucka have completely destroyed the character for me!!

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    Sad to say, I'm starting to get some bad vibes about this project.

Now, in size it's similar to Stjepan Sejic's concept of Harleen, but he set it up as three rather different story arcs that could be developed, written, and sold independently, and he finished the first arc on time and with a realistic schedule. Here, we got both lots of delays since the first announcement and the scope creep from three to nine issues. And now the artist situation seems to be in lots of flux as well.

It also looks like a great visionary project, but on the periphery of Wonder Woman as a character. And to me, in the comics Diana isn't in need of some edgy reimagining or stuff in the periphery, because her central core as a character is so undefined and badly used.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psy-lock View Post
    9 64 page issues for a WW story that doesn't even focus on Diana? Sounds like an overkill to me.
    I don't know that it's necessarily a changing scope or or a chaotic art situation, more that these are not things we were privy to early on.

Also since we live in a world where every Bat-character gets their own spin off weather it's warranted or not with often times limited impact on the big man himself, I don't think Hippolyta getting an epic story mostly focused on herself is overkill. The Amazons and Hippolyta are much less on the periphery to WW than most of the Bat-Kids are to Batman, and there is no shortage of other WW content focused on Diana. The fact that most of it sucks is really out of this projects control.

DeConnick said in her interview that there were 6 tribes of the "original 30 Amazons," so I guess that means six tribes of 5 Amazons each? Maybe she meant something else, cuz that seems too small to be what I think of when I hear "tribe." But what do I know?

I imagine Hippolyta will be the leader of one of the tribes before uniting all of them, so maybe that means Antiope* and her other classical sisters (Menalippe, maybe Penthesilea and Glauce like in LoWW) will lead the others. Or maybe she won't be a leader at all and will rise to queen another way. Of the remaining out of the 30, we know we have Philippus, Io, Venilia, Timandra and Consivia. Considering the names, I imagine the likes of Egeria and Aella will show up, and personally I want to see Althea.

Heh, DeConnick saying she doesn't really like Batman was amusing and makes me more interested in checking her work out.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    DeConnick said in her interview that there were 6 tribes of the "original 30 Amazons," so I guess that means six tribes of 5 Amazons each? Maybe she meant something else, cuz that seems too small to be what I think of when I hear "tribe." But what do I know?

I imagine Hippolyta will be the leader of one of the tribes before uniting all of them, so maybe that means Antiope* and her other classical sisters (Menalippe, maybe Penthesilea and Glauce like in LoWW) will lead the others. Or maybe she won't be a leader at all and will rise to queen another way. Of the remaining out of the 30, we know we have Philippus, Io, Venilia, Timandra and Consivia. Considering the names, I imagine the likes of Egeria and Aella will show up, and personally I want to see Althea.
    For some reason I thought she was referring to the Amazons from actual Greek mythology/historical sources but couldn't find any reference to it. Maybe the original generation of Amazons in the story come from a variety of different ethnic peoples and cultures in the ancient world.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Heh, DeConnick saying she doesn't really like Batman was amusing and makes me more interested in checking her work out.

For some reason I thought she was referring to the Amazons from actual Greek mythology/historical sources but couldn't find any reference to it. Maybe the original generation of Amazons in the story come from a variety of different ethnic peoples and cultures in the ancient world.
    Heh, her reasons for disliking him kind of annoyed me a bit, not gonna lie because those reasons don't really apply to the versions I'm attached to. But, it was an off the cuff response and there are (unfortunately) still plenty of versions they can legit apply to, so I should just suck it up and not begrudge her.

I only really have experience with the first arc of her Aquaman which was pretty good. She comes across as a very cool person and I love her enthusiasm for this particular project. I am really curious to see the artist for issue #2 because she said they stepped up their game after seeing what Phil was doing (that's gonna be a tough act to follow no matter what). I hope the different artists segue into each other naturally, hopefully each chapter can stand on its own a bit and feel "complete."

Some of the Amazon designs look like they have a Samurai thing going on, at least from what little I could see. I think you're right in that they have different cultures. Phil said in an earlier interview that he was designing 50 new characters or so, plus he mentioned there will be a double page spread full of monsters (really looking forward to that one), they are all gonna look great and iconic.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    Heh, her reasons for disliking him kind of annoyed me a bit, not gonna lie because those reasons don't really apply to the versions I'm attached to. But, it was an off the cuff response and there are (unfortunately) still plenty of versions they can legit apply to, so I should just suck it up and not begrudge her.

I only really have experience with the first arc of her Aquaman which was pretty good. She comes across as a very cool person and I love her enthusiasm for this particular project. I am really curious to see the artist for issue #2 because she said they stepped up their game after seeing what Phil was doing (that's gonna be a tough act to follow no matter what). I hope the different artists segue into each other naturally, hopefully each chapter can stand on its own a bit and feel "complete."

Some of the Amazon designs look like they have a Samurai thing going on, at least from what little I could see. I think you're right in that they have different cultures. Phil said in an earlier interview that he was designing 50 new characters or so, plus he mentioned there will be a double page spread full of monsters (really looking forward to that one), they are all gonna look great and iconic.
    I agree, it doesn't really jive with the versions I like but just thought it was amusing given how Batman content has monopolized Black Label and other DC stuff.

Yeah, hope with the multiple artists it can be a bit like American Alien was going for where each issue had a different art style but still be all the same story.