Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    The Wonder Woman IP has been ignoring the "true" (for whatever thats worth) personalities of the Greek gods from the source since Marston.

Is the Female (Good) vs. Male (Bad) narrative for the Gods too simplistic? Yeah probably. But that's just being true to Marston, who presented Aphrodite and Athena as pure forces of goodness while depicting Mars, Hercules and Pluto as villainous buffoons. It just comes with the territory at this point. Perez even continued it somewhat by bringing in all the goddesses as the Amazon patrons, not just Aphrodite and Athena.

Still hoping Hermes comes around to joining the ladies though.
    See, I definitely agree that the Amazons and Wonder Woman herself should be created by the goddesses. Their power sources should be feminine, they should even hold their matron goddesses in higher honor than the male gods. And that's not even contradictory with genuine Hellenic traditions; many cities and cultures of Greece had their own favored gods that they gave special worship to and that's just how it worked. And really, this whole "Tribe of [Goddess]" notion is just fun cool world-building in general.

But on the other hand, when it comes to the depiction of the overall Olympian pantheon itself, it seems a bit overkill for the Amazons to be cut off from half that entire worship. All of the gods, together, comprise the breadths and scopes of the ancient Greek cultures. Will the Historia Amazons not have smithing or theater? Will they not have trade or poetry? It sounds trite I'm sure, but pantheonic worship really works best as a harmonious whole, or else you're basically missing half a religion, half a society. We can already see bits and pieces here of how De Connick has had to kind of......mm, "compromise" on this with her Amazons by slotting goddesses into the roles that, in actuality, probably would have made a bit more sense with the gods. Io, for instance, would probably feel way more connected to Hephaestus than Hestia who...really doesn't have a thing to do with forges or metals and whatnot.

Perez got this, and had his Amazons worship Poseidon and Apollo etc even if they weren't their true patrons, and the best part of his Amazons were how they fit together as a semi-realistic society with poets and craftswomen along with the warriors. Though, to be clear, Perez also very much ascribed to the "women and men should just get together and get along, sure some men suck but forgiveness and unity is better than being mad!" mindset which is...certainly not what this series looks to be saying, at least for now.

I get that there needs to be conflict and resentment for this story to work and that the boy gods have thereby been relegated to the bad guys' side for that to happen. Still, what I would like to happen with Historia is for the male gods to eventually, slowly but surely, be drawn over to the Amazons' side as well, and so for the Amazons to eventually, slowly but surely, end up as a more complete society. But...considering how the story seems to be about how they lost a war against the male gods, I'd probably be setting myself up for disappointment if I hoped for that too hard
    Last edited by BrianWilly; 12-01-2021 at 11:37 PM.