Page 117 of 126 FirstFirst ... 1767107113114115116117118119120121 ... LastLast
Results 1,741 to 1,755 of 1885
    Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by bardkeep View Post
    This series has made me fall in love Hera and Hippolyta and it seriously sucks that every other writer treats Hera as a villain and Hippolyta as cannon fodder. And I'm so glad Phil Jimenez gave her the perfect aesthetic and set the "different gorgeous, otherworldly gown in every scene" precedent.
    Yes, I admit I now struggle a lot separating these versions from main canon, basically because I feel Historia's take on many of the characters are not only better than what we're currently having (and we've had for a while), they could get imported mostly seamlessly and make for better stories, even within the constrains of "pulpy" fiction main continuity generally aspires to.
    Last edited by Zagre; 12-22-2022 at 10:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zagre View Post
    Yes, I admit I now struggle a lot separating these versions from main canon, basically because I feel Historia's take on many of the characters are not only better than what we're currently having, they could get imported mostly seamlessly and make for better stories, even within the constrains of "pulpy" fiction main continuity generally aspires to.
    Say goodbye to Hera changing outfits every scene if this version gets imported over the main cannon.

I'm of two-minds. I would like to see more ideas and stuff like this imported over to the main WW books, but that would also mean existing in the regular DC Universe so we'll get dumb stuff like these Amazon tribes getting slaughtered in the next "Mega Infintite+ Crisis" or Darkseid killing these takes on the Olympians so we can all pretend he's a serious threat again, lol.
    Last edited by Gaius; 12-22-2022 at 11:09 AM.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Say goodbye to Hera changing outfits every scene if this version gets imported over the main cannon.

I'm of two-minds. I would like to see more ideas and stuff like this imported over to the main WW books, but that would also mean existing in the regular DC Universe so we'll get dumb stuff like these Amazon tribes getting slaughtered in the next "Mega Infintite+ Crisis" or Darkseid killing these takes on the Olympians so we can all pretend he's a serious threat again.
    True. The best case scenario would be some kind of Sandman-esque deal, where the original author (in this case DeConnick) has to at least approve of the ideas (and hopefulyl prevent misuse). But they're never doing that lol

Spectacular Member

I really wish people would stop suggesting Historia to be canon.It just doesn't fit the main continuity and most writers and artists wouldn't be able to translate the tone and designs of the characters in a satisfactory manner

Quote Originally Posted by bardkeep View Post

Also in the recent interview I mentioned Kelly Sue talked about how she realized late in the game that she was inadvertently writing Hera as Katharine Hepburn's Eleanor of Aquitaine from The Lion in Winter and now I can't hear anyone else when I read her lines. Really amps up the queen bitch factor in the best way.
    Since I haven't seen that movie I can't make a comparison, but I personally picture Carey Mulligan's voice and accent in Promising Young Woman

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Access View Post
    I really wish people would stop suggesting Historia to be canon.It just doesn't fit the main continuity and most writers and artists wouldn't be able to translate the tone and designs of the characters in a satisfactory manner
    No, I don't doubt that. I have no interest in seeing the book be made part of the main DC stuff with people like Williamson, Waid, or Johns around, I don't even like it being considered part of "the multiverse".

But just saying in a better world, it would be the basis for a main WW book.

Spectacular Member

Can't say I agree with some what you said,but cool
    Last edited by Access; 12-22-2022 at 11:41 AM.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

I agree that I don't trust most of the creators in DCs employ to do it justice on an ongoing basis. But they are sporadic with WW stuff in general.

But it doesn't have anything that wouldn't fit in the main canon. It's basically expanding on stuff Marston and Perez already did. What about it is too different?

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

Wanting someone that is good to be in canon isnt a bad thing. Like most things, it probably would get messed up but we still want the best of the best for WW.

Spectacular Member

Ask yourselves this:Can you really see a Wonder Woman based around this storyline acting like a modern superhero(even If you add all the quirkness imaginable) or going through the same steps as the classical origin(Steve,the contest,etc)

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

Ask yourselves this:Can you really see a Wonder Woman based around this storyline acting like a modern superhero(even If you add all the quirkness imaginable) or going through the same steps as the classical origin(Steve,the contest,etc)
    Yes. I can can.

Yes, because DeConnick already said this story ends with Steve crashing, which would presumably set up the contest

This is Hippolyta's storyline first and foremost. Perez's Hippolyta was in a similar setting, and a modern superhero Diana spun out of that just fine. The story is expanded, but there are no major departures from the basic plot skeleton from Marston and Perez

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    Yes, because DeConnick already said this story ends with Steve crashing, which would presumably set up the contest

This is Hippolyta's storyline first and foremost. Perez's Hippolyta was in a similar setting, and a modern superhero Diana spun out of that just fine. The story is expanded, but there are no major departures from the basic plot skeleton from Marston and Perez
    Diana is thousand of years old and probably witnessed the worst moment of Amazon history:Their betrayal by the hands of Gods and Man(unless that already happened,If so,my bad)
    Last edited by Access; 12-22-2022 at 02:49 PM.

Diana is thousand of years old and probably witnessed the worst moment of Amazon history:Their betrayal by the hands of Gods and Man(unless that already happened,If so,my bad)
    Well, as far as spoilers go

spoilers:
    DeConnick said the island will be making it's first appearance at the end of book 3 along with Diana's birth. I doubt she we will be able to remember witnessing anything in the mortal world, because who remembers things from when you are an infant?

As for her being so old, that has precedent in the mainstream versions. I believe Marston was ambiguous, and Kanigher had her as a child making the journey to the island with the Amazons
    end of spoilers