Page 22 of 126 FirstFirst ... 121819202122232425263272122 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    I wonder if the Bana will show up. If they do, hopefully they'll be handled better than they tend to be.
    Given it’s apparently 9 issues, I imagine a lot of Amazon history stuff from various places will be mined to fill up the story.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

I wonder how faithful this will be to the Perez version when it comes to the Bana split, if it happens at all. Antiope may still separate from the main tribe, but they may also want to go for movie synergy and have her go to Themyscira. In which case, I kind of prefer Penthesilea be included as the other sister who leads a faction away. She would later die against Achilles, but her faction would become the Bana. Also I think DeConnick and Jimenez would be aware of how problematic the Bana Amazons' original depiction was. Jimenez already wrote them better in his run compared to how most handle them, I expect if we get them they will be more sympathetic. There's a whole list of named Bana Amazons from the Perez run that could be heavily overhauled the way these Amazons are.

As a side note, with the Well of Souls origin, I've always wondered what made Hippolyta and Antiope sisters. In Greek myth it made sense because they (along with Menalippe and Penthesilea) were the natural result of the union between Ares and Otrera. But if they are reincarnated souls born into magical clay bodies all born at the same time, why are those two blood sisters and the others aren't? Shouldn't all the original 30 be Diana's aunts, not just Antiope?

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    As a side note, with the Well of Souls origin, I've always wondered what made Hippolyta and Antiope sisters. In Greek myth it made sense because they (along with Menalippe and Penthesilea) were the natural result of the union between Ares and Otrera. But if they are reincarnated souls born into magical clay bodies all born at the same time, why are those two blood sisters and the others aren't? Shouldn't all the original 30 be Diana's aunts, not just Antiope?
    I think it can be safely assumed that the Pérezian Amazons had rather different views of family and close relationships than modern English usage presupposes. Now, the Amazons are very much underveloped, but if I were to write them I'd have them use "sister" to denote a close friendship and bond, and "aunt" as the equivalent of an honorific for older respected women, if it is to be used at all.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    I think it can be safely assumed that the Pérezian Amazons had rather different views of family and close relationships than modern English usage presupposes. Now, the Amazons are very much underveloped, but if I were to write them I'd have them use "sister" to denote a close friendship and bond, and "aunt" as the equivalent of an honorific for older respected women, if it is to be used at all.
    But don't they always use "sister" in that way anyway? I think that's where the head scratching comes in for me, because they do that while also writing Antiope as an actual familial/biological sister as she is in the myths.

Was it possible they were blood sister in the previous life when they were killed and it carries over to their reincarnation as Amazons?

I wonder how faithful this will be to the Perez version when it comes to the Bana split, if it happens at all. Antiope may still separate from the main tribe, but they may also want to go for movie synergy and have her go to Themyscira. In which case, I kind of prefer Penthesilea be included as the other sister who leads a faction away. She would later die against Achilles, but her faction would become the Bana. Also I think DeConnick and Jimenez would be aware of how problematic the Bana Amazons' original depiction was. Jimenez already wrote them better in his run compared to how most handle them, I expect if we get them they will be more sympathetic. There's a whole list of named Bana Amazons from the Perez run that could be heavily overhauled the way these Amazons are.

Probably too much to hope for a potential spin-off/sequel focusing on the Bana following their schism.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Probably too much to hope for a potential spin-off/sequel focusing on the Bana following their schism.
    It's got to be in at least one of the nine issues.
    Ugh, now I want to see Phil's designs for the Egyptian goddesses. And every named Bana Amazon from the Perez run, no matter how minor, be re-imagined and given cool personalized armor lol.

It's got to be in at least one of the nine issues.
    Ugh, now I want to see Phil's designs for the Egyptian goddesses. And every named Bana Amazon from the Perez run, no matter how minor, be re-imagined and given cool personalized armor lol.
    Pretty sure the book either wouldn't come out for another a decade or Jimenez would work himself into an early retirement going wild.

Another update from Phil. Looks gorgeous, but I was hoping for another Amazon profile

https://www.instagram.com/p/CFW-SfFBl9S/

Another update from Phil. Looks gorgeous, but I was hoping for another Amazon profile

https://www.instagram.com/p/CFW-SfFBl9S/
    Jesus, that looks beautiful.

Guessing this is the creation of the Amazons or Themyscira.

I feel really bad to anyone that has to follow up this masterpiece in artwork.
    Zaldrīzes Buzdari Iksos Daor

We know from interviews that this is mainly going to be about the goddesses creating the Amazons. But Phil has teased a lot of panels that show plot stuff around Hippolyta, so I'm worrying all those scenes are going to be scrapped and the other artists are going to re-do them.

There is also going to be that double page spread of all the Amazons in their armor (and I think the shots of them from that sequence are being used in Phil's "Who's Who" sheets). How do we go from goddesses planning the Amazons to THAT in one issue? Maybe that will be a vision of the future?

Anyway, here's my guesses for the 30 Amazons we will be seeing based on who has been confirmed and who else might logically be there:

1. Hippolyta
    2. Antiope
    3. Philippus
    4. Menalippe
    5. Penelope
    6. Io
    7. Althea (fingers crossed!)
    8. Euboea
    9. Epione
    10. Pythia
    11. Aella
    12. Hellene
    13. Ipithme
    14. Oenone
    15. Timandra
    16. Venilia
    17. Cydippe
    18. Mnemosyne
    19. Acantha
    20. Niobe
    21. Areto
    22. Myrrha
    23. Consivia
    24. Egeria
    25. Alkyone
    26. Philomela
    27. Charis
    28. Myrto
    29. Persephone
    30. Either Mala or Kasia

At this point Jimenez could just post pictures of the art and that's it, and I'd be satisfied, ha.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    At this point Jimenez could just post pictures of the art and that's it, and I'd be satisfied, ha.
    If DC were to release a black and white version of this like they have other stories I’d probably buy it even though I usually role my eyes at those.
    We know from interviews that this is mainly going to be about the goddesses creating the Amazons. But Phil has teased a lot of panels that show plot stuff around Hippolyta, so I'm worrying all those scenes are going to be scrapped and the other artists are going to re-do them.

There is also going to be that double page spread of all the Amazons in their armor (and I think the shots of them from that sequence are being used in Phil's "Who's Who" sheets). How do we go from goddesses planning the Amazons to THAT in one issue? Maybe that will be a vision of the future?

Anyway, here's my guesses for the 30 Amazons we will be seeing based on who has been confirmed and who else might logically be there:

1. Hippolyta
    2. Antiope
    3. Philippus
    4. Menalippe
    5. Penelope
    6. Io
    7. Althea (fingers crossed!)
    8. Euboea
    9. Epione
    10. Pythia
    11. Aella
    12. Hellene
    13. Ipithme
    14. Oenone
    15. Timandra
    16. Venilia
    17. Cydippe
    18. Mnemosyne
    19. Acantha
    20. Niobe
    21. Areto
    22. Myrrha
    23. Consivia
    24. Egeria
    25. Alkyone
    26. Philomela
    27. Charis
    28. Myrto
    29. Persephone
    30. Either Mala or Kasia
    Hope they aren’t scrapped either, unless they managed to work out the plan of three rotating artists.

Extraordinary Member

Jimenez will be on David Macho's Dialogos de Comic tomorrow where they'll talk Historia among other things: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i4a7...ature=youtu.be

Think I'd just buy a "Who's Who" collection of all these Amazon profiles at this point, each one outdoes the last it seems.

Interview should be interesting, always cool to see Jimenez talk WW.