Page 10 of 126 FirstFirst ... 678910111213142060110 ... LastLast

I hope one of these books will be made into an animated movie. Diana needs more than two movies

Quote Originally Posted by Joao View Post
    We had a lot of Rucka recently but I never get enough of him. Also, as I said before, I think he works best with GNs. So excited!
    GNs? (10char)

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    GNs? (10char)
    Graphic novels.

Extraordinary Member

Men have sons, women have daughters.

Break the mold, for gawds sake.
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

I was late to the party of checking out Jimenez's Instagram, but holy crap, if nothing else Historia will look absolutely gorgeous.

Historia Goddesses.jpg

So here we have the goddesses of Olympus. From left to right, I think the top row is Artemis, Persephone and Athena. Hera is in the middle. Bottom row from left to right, he confirmed on other photos that the one on the left is Demeter and the right is Hestia, and I'm thinking that's Aphrodite in the middle.

We're also confirmed for male Gods to at least be getting Hermes, Hephaestus and Poseidon. I think Phil just topped Chiang in terms of designs for the Olympians for me.
    Last edited by SiegePerilous02; 09-14-2019 at 03:03 PM.

Some of my issues with the Gods mostly are with Hades. It was weird

I'll be sure to check this out as it looks interesting. I must say I'm excited because of all the recent WW news.
    Last edited by Celgress; 09-14-2019 at 08:52 PM.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

I was reading a recent interview in the Journal of Graphic Novels and Comics (v. 9, issue 6) where Rucka says the following:

"Kelly Sue Deconnick is doing a story for DC’s Black Label, which is entirely a reaction to the portrayal of the Amazons in the movie. She said:‘I really didn’t like the way they were portrayed.’ I said: ‘I had the argument you are having with yourself.’"

I don't know what that means exactly but I'm intrigued.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by brettc1 View Post
    Men have sons, women have daughters.

Break the mold, for gawds sake.
    The one time WW had a son, it was turned into a whole "My mother didn't want me because I'm a boy" trainwreck, so I'm skeptical of that plotline. That, or it would undoubtedly be turned into a "woe is me, I am the only male Amazon" special snowflake mess. The problem is not male superheroes having sons and female superheroes having daughters, the problem is people making it all about gender.

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TheAnn View Post
    The one time WW had a son, it was turned into a whole "My mother didn't want me because I'm a boy" trainwreck, so I'm skeptical of that plotline. That, or it would undoubtedly be turned into a "woe is me, I am the only male Amazon" special snowflake mess. The problem is not male superheroes having sons and female superheroes having daughters, the problem is people making it all about gender.
    A bit tangential, but I am excited about Jon, Diana and Clark's son, in Dark Knight Returns: Golden Son.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

Quote Originally Posted by Joao View Post
    I was reading a recent interview in the Journal of Graphic Novels and Comics (v. 9, issue 6) where Rucka says the following:

"Kelly Sue Deconnick is doing a story for DC’s Black Label, which is entirely a reaction to the portrayal of the Amazons in the movie. She said:‘I really didn’t like the way they were portrayed.’ I said: ‘I had the argument you are having with yourself.’"

I don't know what that means exactly but I'm intrigued.
    I wonder if it is was the lack of explicit confirmation in the goddesses specifically having a hand in their creation that they didn't like? And to a lesser extent, the lack of advanced tech, which I'm hoping DeConnick shows them developing towards the end of her series.

Because as characters and in the roles they play in raising and influencing Diana, Hippolyta and Antiope were as they should have been.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    I wonder if it is was the lack of explicit confirmation in the goddesses specifically having a hand in their creation that they didn't like? And to a lesser extent, the lack of advanced tech, which I'm hoping DeConnick shows them developing towards the end of her series.

Because as characters and in the roles they play in raising and influencing Diana, Hippolyta and Antiope were as they should have been.
    Yeah, it's hard to get what DeConnick (or Rucka) were driving at there. There certainly were issues with how the Amazons were portrayed in the movie, but a lot of these things have to do with time constraints, or are defensible creative choices. But perhaps most importantly, Themyscira was depicted as a good place.

Would I have liked a different theology behind the movie? Sure, but that has little impact on the Amazons.

Would I have liked to see more of Themysciran civilian life, and not so much focus on their martial prowess? Hell yeah, but at the same time, time constraints.

Would I like advanced tech? If it provides for a good story and has a strong aesthetic. But I'm perfectly happy with "bronze age" Amazons too, as long as they have a healthy and vibrant society. I'd much rather have movie Themyscira than Morrison's Themyscira.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

Would I like advanced tech? If it provides for a good story and has a strong aesthetic. But I'm perfectly happy with "bronze age" Amazons too, as long as they have a healthy and vibrant society. I'd much rather have movie Themyscira than Morrison's Themyscira.
    Those don't have to be the only two options though. I'd rather something like Rucka's Rebirth Themyscira or the one Jimenez created for his run than just the above two. Even the Morrison one had a superior aesthetic than just going the bronze age route. I'm a lot more forgiving towards the movie due to time restraints and budget (if it's gonna look like crap, better to not do it) and the movie's prime focus is her leaving home. But I never want to see it in the comics again. I would be happy if the movies can pull out some heretofore unmentioned tech as long as there is a natural reason for us not seeing it before, but since most of the story in the sequel appears to be in the outside world, it may be moot.

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Yeah, it's hard to get what DeConnick (or Rucka) were driving at there. There certainly were issues with how the Amazons were portrayed in the movie, but a lot of these things have to do with time constraints, or are defensible creative choices. But perhaps most importantly, Themyscira was depicted as a good place.

Would I have liked a different theology behind the movie? Sure, but that has little impact on the Amazons.

Would I have liked to see more of Themysciran civilian life, and not so much focus on their martial prowess? Hell yeah, but at the same time, time constraints.

An excellent analysis - I have problems with the ending of Wonder Woman, but as a huge fan of Rucka's WW, I actually really liked the Amazon sections of the film.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

When is Historia scheduled for release?