Page 77 of 126 FirstFirst ... 276773747576777879808187 ... LastLast
Results 1,141 to 1,155 of 1885

Was lucky enough to grab a copy of the faux-leather variant.

And yeah, not only is this book a thing of beauty, it's just a really great comic book!

The only negative thing I could say, and this is quite subjective (and it's really not too big a deal), is that I don't love the coloring. This is an exaggeration, but it's like someone spilled some random water-colors onto Phil's art pages then they went to press like that.
    Last edited by slop101; 12-01-2021 at 03:21 PM.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Psy-lock View Post
    A plus-sized Aphrodite/Venus is not a modern concept. There's plenty of old paintings and sculptures depicting her as such.
    Not really. The overwhelming majority depicted her as curvy, but within a healthy range. She was a goddess of beauty and the Greeks and Romans valued athleticism and the physical beauty that came with it.

The art is great though.

Quote Originally Posted by Psy-lock View Post
    I had the same thought. The more myth-heavy you get, the less convincing the goddesses become as feminist icons. But then, it's only the first issue. The book might still get more complex with its take on the gods later on.
    Enh, but if you ignore the personalities in the source material... why bother using them at all? Just for the name drops?

also... drastically re-writing them kinda ruins the setting.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee-Sensei View Post
    Not really. The overwhelming majority depicted her as curvy, but within a healthy range. She was a goddess of beauty and the Greeks and Romans valued athleticism and the physical beauty that came with it.

The art is great though.
    Mmm... yes, athletic women are always sexy even if they aren't "plump".
    Last edited by marhawkman; 12-01-2021 at 04:20 PM.

Gene Ha did another interview and he says he only has about six pages left of his book to finish (along with a possible unannounced colorist), so I think it's a safe bet we'll get the second issue in the Spring.

I guess this is Hera from Gene Ha

herageneha.jpg

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lee-Sensei View Post

The art is great though.
    You do realize that the Olympian Gods were worshipped throughout the Hellenistic world and each cultures depiction varied wildly; not everything is viewed through the modern western lens

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    Enh, but if you ignore the personalities in the source material... why bother using them at all? Just for the name drops?
    The Wonder Woman IP has been ignoring the "true" (for whatever thats worth) personalities of the Greek gods from the source since Marston.

Is the Female (Good) vs. Male (Bad) narrative for the Gods too simplistic? Yeah probably. But that's just being true to Marston, who presented Aphrodite and Athena as pure forces of goodness while depicting Mars, Hercules and Pluto as villainous buffoons. It just comes with the territory at this point. Perez even continued it somewhat by bringing in all the goddesses as the Amazon patrons, not just Aphrodite and Athena.

Still hoping Hermes comes around to joining the ladies though.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    The Wonder Woman IP has been ignoring the "true" (for whatever thats worth) personalities of the Greek gods from the source since Marston.
    Precisely.

Picked up my copy today. I’m only halfway through. Savoring every page. I have a question about an image on page 41 where Athena and Hera converse. Hera emphatically says “I said no!” in one panel, but I’m not sure exactly what I’m looking at in that panel. Does anyone know what I mean?

I’m loving the way DeConnick’s sparse, economic scripting complements Jimenez’s baroque illustrations. She’s not wasting a syllable with her writing, while he gives us everything under the sun.
    Last edited by Largo161; 12-01-2021 at 06:44 PM.
    “You see…the rest of them are soldiers. But [Wonder Woman] is an artist.”

I only support the made of clay origin.

Quote Originally Posted by Largo161 View Post
    Precisely.

Picked up my copy today. I’m only halfway through. Savoring every page. I have a question about an image on page 41 where Athena and Hera converse. Hera emphatically says “I said no!” in one panel, but I’m not sure exactly what I’m looking at in that panel. Does anyone know what I mean?

I’m loving the way DeConnick’s sparse, economic scripting compliments Jimenez’s baroque illustrations. She’s not wasting a syllable with her writing, while he gives us everything under the sun.
    I think it's Athena being knocked backward in shadow. The top left piece is her helmet and headdress, while her cloak is flowing out in front of her.

I think it's Athena being knocked backward in shadow. The top left piece is her helmet and headdress, while her cloak is flowing out in front of her.
    Oooh, okay. Thanks. To me it’s sorta like one of those optical illusions where you can’t tell what’s foreground and what’s background. Lol

Quote Originally Posted by Largo161 View Post
    Precisely.

I’m loving the way DeConnick’s sparse, economic scripting compliments Jimenez’s baroque illustrations. She’s not wasting a syllable with her writing, while he gives us everything under the sun.
    Think we found the quote they can put on the trade.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Think we found the quote they can put on the trade.
    Ha HA! Sure, why not. Lol

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

There's just simply no words as to how beautiful this book is. While I have absolutely NO doubt that both Gene Ha's and Nicola Scott's issues will be just absolutely stunning, I can't help but wonder how amazing they would have been if all drawn by Phil. But, we do want this series before the turn of the next century.

Quote Originally Posted by OBrianTallent View Post
    There's just simply no words as to how beautiful this book is. While I have absolutely NO doubt that both Gene Ha's and Nicola Scott's issues will be just absolutely stunning, I can't help but wonder how amazing they would have been if all drawn by Phil. But, we do want this series before the turn of the next century.
    Can you imagine if we got the full From Hell sized graphic novel with all of it drawn by Phil?

It'd probably kill the poor bastard in the making of it, but it would have been a sight to see.

Is the Female (Good) vs. Male (Bad) narrative for the Gods too simplistic? Yeah probably. But that's just being true to Marston, who presented Aphrodite and Athena as pure forces of goodness while depicting Mars, Hercules and Pluto as villainous buffoons. It just comes with the territory at this point. Perez even continued it somewhat by bringing in all the goddesses as the Amazon patrons, not just Aphrodite and Athena.

Still hoping Hermes comes around to joining the ladies though.
    I'm sure as the story continues, we will see it isn't as simple as "men bad, women evil". Perez's run, which this story is taking cues from, wasn't that simplistic.