Page 56 of 126 FirstFirst ... 64652535455565758596066106 ... LastLast

I personally blame misguided editors trying to 'fix' Wonder Woman by turning her into something she was not.

Quote Originally Posted by SonOfBaldwin View Post
    For people wondering of HISTORIA is in-continuity or outside of continuity: Kelly Sue DeConnick confirms that it is outside of continuity.

https://twitter.com/kellysue/status/1435346288044773376

Attachment 113502
    lol, from the same thread.

Last edited by Gaius; 09-07-2021 at 07:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post

I totally love Phil.
    Author of the Instant New York Times bestselling novel, The Prophets, from G.P. Putnman's Sons.

Phil's the man!

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    I personally blame misguided editors trying to 'fix' Wonder Woman by turning her into something she was not.
    I know quite a number of people in the comic book industry personally. I particularly know a lot of people who work or worked at DC. All of them have told me that a certain members of the previous administration disliked Wonder Woman for various reasons, all of which had misogyny/sexism as a basis. The goal for them was to make Wonder Woman "likeable and non-threatening to men." Luckily, Wonder Woman is a character that will outlast all attempts to "tame" her.
    Author of the Instant New York Times bestselling novel, The Prophets, from G.P. Putnman's Sons.

I know quite a number of people in the comic book industry personally. I particularly know a lot of people who work or worked at DC. All of them have told me that a certain members of the previous administration disliked Wonder Woman for various reasons, all of which had misogyny/sexism as a basis. The goal for them was to make Wonder Woman "likeable and non-threatening to men." Luckily, Wonder Woman is a character that will outlast all attempts to "tame" her.
    Did they ever elaborate on how they wanted to make her "likeable and non-threatening to men"? (I'm sure I have a good idea, but I'm curious )
    ~I just keep swimming through these threads~

Quote Originally Posted by I'm a Fish View Post
    Did they ever elaborate on how they wanted to make her "likeable and non-threatening to men"? (I'm sure I have a good idea, but I'm curious )
    If Ruckas Rebirth was a new reboot, then you can start with the James Robinson run.

Darn right she will.

I'm glad KSD, Phil, Rucka, Scott, Cloonan and Conrad are around to bring back the WW we know.

I think that's very evident in how they used Sacrifice as a basis to define her solely as the one Trinity member not afraid to kill, the JMS reboot, the Nu52 reboot, the Zeus origin, how she was written in the early Superman/Wonder Woman book, the Robinson run, Amazons Attack and countless other examples.

I think it's clear that not having a father, a peace loving but still warrior based all female society, the Goddesses, the mostly women cast, her story arc not revolving around a romance, being compassionate but still a fierce warrior, are all things that bugged certain creatives as those are the elements that are often removed, diminished or changed in adaptations and reboots.

Incredible Member

Glorious, hunk of a man whose love and appreciation for Diana and her wonderful world continues to inspire, entertain, and move so many fans!
    Last edited by Shimbo; 09-09-2021 at 09:14 AM.

Incredible Member

Yuuuuck.

And shout out to Mr. Robert Jones, Jr for the insight into how DC thinks about our girl, Diana. It's one thing to get the impression that she's less than from the content of the books she appears in, but it's a whole other thing to *know* the powers that were saw her in a negative light.

Hopefully with so much change at DC on an executive/administrative level, that's not an issue anymore. We're seeing more and better Wonder content than we've seen in quite some time (ever?) so I'm excited and optimistic about Diana and her journey in all her books and outside media adaptations.

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post

I think that's very evident in how they used Sacrifice as a basis to define her solely as the one Trinity member not afraid to kill, the JMS reboot, the Nu52 reboot, the Zeus origin, how she was written in the early Superman/Wonder Woman book, the Robinson run, Amazons Attack and countless other examples.

I think it's clear that not having a father, a peace loving but still warrior based all female society, the Goddesses, the mostly women cast, her story arc not revolving around a romance, being compassionate but still a fierce warrior, are all things that bugged certain creatives as those are the elements that are often removed, diminished or changed in adaptations and reboots.
    All examples I was thinking off, and I find it ironic how attempts to make her more "likeable" usually involve making her less likeable.... or make the Amazon's look bad so Diana has to "learn how to be better then them" in man's world.

It felt like they wanted to create a character who could be talked down to.
    ~I just keep swimming through these threads~

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Another new look for Athena.

Athena.jpg

Gail Simone talked a bit about one aspect:

https://bleedingcool.com/movies/warn...-woman-origin/

Quote Originally Posted by Shimbo View Post
    Yuuuuck.

And shout out to Mr. Robert Jones, Jr for the insight into how DC thinks about our girl, Diana.
    Used to think. There was a particular crew at the company that didn't like the character and despised her fandom even more. A lot of them are gone now, or don't work in the comic aspect of the company anymore.

The new leadership considers Wonder Woman a priority. Which is why we've seen Wonder Woman at the forefront of more stuff than we've ever seen in years.