Page 8 of 126 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121858108 ... LastLast

I am expecting and hoping both series will be in graphic novel format
    and do look forward to reading both very much.

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by My Two Cents View Post
    I am expecting and hoping both series will be in graphic novel format
    and do look forward to reading both very much.
    That is a good point - what format do we think they are going for? Superman Year One is in 3 oversize issues.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

Eh, the problem with a lot of modern graphic novels is that there are no stopping points, no chapters. Chapters help in processing the book and also provide a natural on/off point. Collected editions of comics have natural chapters because they were originally sold as individual issues.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

Quote Originally Posted by Pinsir View Post
    Eh, the problem with a lot of modern graphic novels is that there are no stopping points, no chapters. Chapters help in processing the book and also provide a natural on/off point. Collected editions of comics have natural chapters because they were originally sold as individual issues.
    Structure is important, I agree. I have to say, I'm so tempted to do a reread of Rucka's Rebirth run, but I also kinda want to wait till we know when Diana's Daughter will be released, so I can do the reread as prep...
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston

What length is a graphic novel usually ? If it's like The Hiketeia, I can see why there wouldn't be a need for chapters, since it could break the flow of the story, but longer, I think it help readers transitioning from one part of the story to another, especially if ellipses are used.

Quote Originally Posted by Korath View Post
    What length is a graphic novel usually ? If it's like The Hiketeia, I can see why there wouldn't be a need for chapters, since it could break the flow of the story, but longer, I think it help readers transitioning from one part of the story to another, especially if ellipses are used.
    My understanding is that a graphic novel is usually the equivalent of between 4-6 individual issues - so anywhere from 80 to 132 pages. You also have the Deluxe sized, which are the equivalent of two trades - so those are usually between 12-14 issues (240-300 pages). Lastly you have the massive, massive collections of big storyarcs, like War Games or Knightfall - or the Absolute Editions. Those get really up there - 800-1000 pages. But at that point, because comic paper is so heavy, the book itself gets almost unreadable.

800 to 100 pages ? Oh man... And here I was, thinking that Watchmen and the deluxe edition of Darksei War were big... And yet, I would like Historia to be that big, I must be crazy.
    Last edited by Korath; 03-10-2018 at 07:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Korath View Post
    800 to 100 pages ? Oh man... And here I was, thinking that Watchment and the deluxe edition of Darksei War were big... And yet, I would like Historia to be that big, I must be crazy.
    It is unlikely to be that big - most prestige books are more like the Hiketeia or the Killing Joke.

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

You are thinking trade paper backs, those are collected editions of individual issues and will be that size. Actual graphic novels run 48-64 pages generally and have on very fee rare occasions gone to 80.

Quote Originally Posted by OBrianTallent View Post
    You are thinking trade paper backs, those are collected editions of individual issues and will be that size. Actual graphic novels run 48-64 pages generally and have on very fee rare occasions gone to 80.
    What kinds of graphic novels are you thinking about? I'm thinking of stuff like Asterios Polyp or Jimmy Corrigan.

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    I'm really hoping the daughter in Rucka's story is Lyta Trevor and she goes by the Fury. From the sounds of things it's definitely a legacy tale, but I have no interest in a Wonder Woman II. But honoring her heritage as Diana's daughter and her connection to the Amazons by adopting her own superhero identity? I'm all in. Especially if it opens up the possibility of getting more ongoing adventures for her in her future timeline.

I'm starting to re-read the Kindly Ones now, and while it is of course fantastic, I think story would have had even more "oomph" behind it if it was Lyta as Wonder Woman and Steve Trevor's daughter killing Dream rather than the daughter of some random heroine they made up for the post-Crisis status quo.
    Most of the time, when I was reading SANDMAN, I just naturally thought of Lyta as the granddaughter of Hippolyta. So it had that "oomph" for me. Prior to SANDMAN, for most of her short mainstream DC life, that's who she was. There was never many stories about Lyta re the "original" Fury (her supposed biological mother). So it was easy to let that slip my mind. And I don't think Gaiman ever highlighted the matter. The more important thing was that Daniel was the son of Hector Hall when he was in his Sandman form.

In terms of Dream of the Endless, you can have it both ways. Gaiman did make a point of that--that the waking worlds were many--and in the Dreaming all realities were equivalent. I think this is made most clear duirng "The Wake."

And in Morrison's JLA run, when Daniel appears in "Perchance to Dream" (issues 22 & 23), he makes some cryptic comments, that I read as him paying off a debt to Hippolyta his great grandmother and thus to his mother. Which suggested to me that Daniel can remember it that way--that Lyta was Diana's daughter in one of the waking worlds.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Bigwinnie101 View Post
    Yeah Rucka only has two ships for Wonder Woman

Its Wonder Woman/Steve Trevor and Wonder Woman/Batman.
    You misspelled Io.

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    You misspelled Io.
    Rucka definitely has Io in love with Diana, but I don't feel like he's ever really hinted Diana reciprocates.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
    Rucka definitely has Io in love with Diana, but I don't feel like he's ever really hinted Diana reciprocates.
    Idk, he did have Diana invite Io along to be her date for her the party her publisher was holding for her book. It may have been her just being friendly, but still.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
    IIRC it was supposed to be mutual but DC stamped that idea down hard.

Also, Rucka shipping Dianio? Iona? is not the same from him having them as a canon couple in a book.