Page 80 of 126 FirstFirst ... 307076777879808182838490 ... LastLast
Results 1,186 to 1,200 of 1885
    Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by HestiasHearth View Post
    Especially when we have Nikē, the Greek goddess of victory, as a perfectly appropriate replacement to gift Diana with superhuman speed. And yes, I know that some people might say that Nikē is not an Olympian and that, as such, should not be a part of Diana's origin, but who cares? The Greek myths have always been tweaked, shifted, subverted, etc. I adore the clay origin precisely because it is a purely female-centric origin for the premiere comic book superheroine, but I don't care about Hermes being part of her origin. Don't get me wrong, I don't mind the male gods being part of a supporting cast of characters in a WW book, and I would definitely not make them all villainous, but her creation should be, in my opinion, an act of female divinity and power. No dudes allowed in the "making of" Wonder Woman. LOL
    I think Wonder Woman should have got her super-speed from Artemis, Goddess of the hunt.

As for Wonder Woman's "creation", I would have replace Hermes for Hecate.

Quote Originally Posted by VonHammersmark View Post
    I haven’t read it but from the images I’ve seen online, Olympus is really impressive looking and some of the Gods look nice, extremely overcomplicated but nice nevertheless. Others, like Hecate, look like…a sea urchin? I can’t even work out what she’s supposed to be. The amount of detail in this book is astonishing and I commend Jimenez for putting so much effort into it, however, the end result is muddled there's no two ways about it, the foreground blends into the background and I don’t even know what I’m looking at. It's very Snyder-esque in a way. Wonder Woman Earth 1 is far more beautiful, that’s the Wonder Woman World that I wanna spend time in
    I read it and I did not care about the writing or the art (especially the art. Muddled and confusing indeed). However, with the exception of Ares, Hecate and Hermes, I loved the look of all the gods. My favorites are Aphrodite and Athena 100 %, and I'd love to see all these deities drawn like this (but in simpler styles) from now on.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    spoilers:
    So that baby's soul is probably gonna be Diana, right?
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    It's so obvious (especially with the father being named 'George' which sounds like a shout out to George Perez) that I think there has to be a swerve. Like the baby comes back as a villain or something.
    end of spoilers

On a random totally unrelated note I recall a character from the golden name by the name of Astra who was an eternal youth that had been abandoned as a baby in the wilderness

Amazing Member

I love it.
    I was hoping that Magala would have been shown as one of the original Amazons.

Some "behind the scenes" stuff from Jimenez and DeConnick on one of the double page spreads.

Jimenez's art process for it and KSD's script for it.

Thoughts on the #WonderWoman graphic novel Historia - The Amazons #1 (of 3). Spoilers follow ...
    1. The art is just mind-blowingly gorgeous.
    The pencilling, inking, and coloring all look next-level. The entire book is a sumptuous feast for the eyes and worth a look for the art alone.

2. The Greek gods have NEVER looked this badass before. The goddesses especially are vibrant here. This is by far the coolest I've ever seen Aphrodite portrayed. Hera somehow makes the peacock look intimidating. Hecate is so over the top with the horror design. And Zeus looks every bit a truly almighty big bad.

3. The writing isn't quite as laudable as the art. It's very interesting, but there's more than a whiff of the same "girls rule, boys drool" binary viewpoint that helped ruin the Birds of Prey movie. Although here at least they do go through some lengths to show why that divide exists the first place.

4. This first issue is very much an alternate universe backstory prequel that is about the creation of the Amazons. This issue is setting up the meat of the story to come in Books 2 and 3. It earns its Black Label.

5. Diana isn't in this issue at all. Her mother Hippolyta closes out the issue (but even she is without a full origin here). I get them using Diana to sell the book, just a little weird that the actual character on the cover is nowhere to be found within the pages.

Bottom line: Please check this book out. It's very rare that Wonder Woman's mythos get this type of effort put into it and now it should be rewarded.

Grade: 9/10.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

I'm actually not sure that is Diana on the cover. It might be Hippolyta

Quote Originally Posted by daBronzeBomma View Post
    Thoughts on the #WonderWoman graphic novel Historia - The Amazons #1 (of 3). Spoilers follow ...
    1. The art is just mind-blowingly gorgeous.
    The pencilling, inking, and coloring all look next-level. The entire book is a sumptuous feast for the eyes and worth a look for the art alone.

2. The Greek gods have NEVER looked this badass before. The goddesses especially are vibrant here. This is by far the coolest I've ever seen Aphrodite portrayed. Hera somehow makes the peacock look intimidating. Hecate is so over the top with the horror design. And Zeus looks every bit a truly almighty big bad.

3. The writing isn't quite as laudable as the art. It's very interesting, but there's more than a whiff of the same "girls rule, boys drool" binary viewpoint that helped ruin the Birds of Prey movie. Although here at least they do go through some lengths to show why that divide exists the first place.

4. This first issue is very much an alternate universe backstory prequel that is about the creation of the Amazons. This issue is setting up the meat of the story to come in Books 2 and 3. It earns its Black Label.

5. Diana isn't in this issue at all. Her mother Hippolyta closes out the issue (but even she is without a full origin here). I get them using Diana to sell the book, just a little weird that the actual character on the cover is nowhere to be found within the pages.

Bottom line: Please check this book out. It's very rare that Wonder Woman's mythos get this type of effort put into it and now it should be rewarded.

Grade: 9/10.
    Re; #5. I think with the peacock cloak and lion's head, that's supposed to be Hippolyta, not Diana, on the cover.

You guys think we will actually get to 9 book?

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post
    It would be dope but it might take 3 years for it to come out unless, they get artists to lose the highly detailed art

I guess the only other way is if they might the book longer for each book

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

I doubt it. WW has never been a HUGE seller so it really depends on what DC's expectations are with the book. But its a step in the right direction that they greenlit 3 books out of the gate.

I guess the only other way is if they might the book longer for each book
    I hope so but I'm leaning towards probably not.

We'll at least have these three issues at least and I bought three versions of this first issue so I did my part.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

I'm definitely hoping for all 9 books. But trying to temper my expectations and brace myself for only getting three.

Think we'll actually get book 2 in Spring 2022? If so I guess we should be on the lookout for it in April or May solicits. I highly doubt it will be March.