Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by HestiasHearth View Post
    Thank you for the links and for the post in general!
    !!
    I think it's...interesting that some people can accept all the incredible, fantastical, mind-blowing stuff you see in Wonder Woman comics, but draw the line at depicting MYTHOLOGICAL DEITIES ---you know, those fictional cosmic beings that never existed and that a comic book is ADAPTING---with skin that is not white or features that don't adhere to the eurocentric beauty standard. And let's not sugarcoat it...the gods in WW comics are always drawn as white.
    In any case, if I were drawing a WW book, and since these "Greek" gods are simply comic-bookized adaptations, I would draw them with various features and skin tones. Gaea, for example, I would definitely draw as a divinely dark-skinned black woman...the literal mother Earth through which Nubia and Diana get their strength.
    #%@k Zeus.
    2e3cd92346aa85683e77608d8860875c.jpg
    Picture credit: Trisher Chemjor
    You do realize that even today there are peoples who worship those divinities, yes ? Who are you to say that aren't real ?

Quote Originally Posted by Veni View Post
    I'm from Southern Europe and those videos you just posted aren't stating facts. Many people have called Vice News and Vox about trying to revise history to suit their agenda. Yes, the statues were painted but the people were white. I mean look at the facial features.
    I agree that the Mediterranean isn't just Europe. The Mediterranean is just a geographical term. It is true that Ancient Greece, Ancient Rome, and later the East Roman Empire (Byzantine Empire/ Byzantium), which is basically a Greek Empire) expanded to become one of the largest empires in the ancient world through conquest, cultural, and linguistic assimilation. The Greeks and Romans are Europeans, therefore they are Caucasians aka white. However, the populations of the kingdoms/empires which they conquered in the Middle East and North Africa weren't. Yes, some Greeks had olive skin but olive skin is classified as white. Ancient Egypt, on the other hand, was a melting pot of cultures. During the course of its history, Egypt was invaded or conquered by a number of foreign powers, including the Hyksos, the Libyans, the Nubians, the Assyrians, the Achaemenid Persians, and the Macedonians under the command of Alexander the Great. The Greek Ptolemaic Kingdom, formed in the aftermath of Alexander's death, ruled Egypt until 30 BC, when, under Cleopatra, it fell to the Roman Empire and became a Roman province. It makes sense for Ancient Egypt, but not for Ancient Rome and Greece because they were never conquered by non-European empires. The Persians tried several times to conquer Greece but failed. Therefore I prefer that the Greek Gods and Goddesses be portrayed as Europeans aka white.
    True, but I'd say there is clear differences between a Greek or Roman and a Northern/Central European person. "Races" are widely diverse skin tones, facial features and the likes baked into one size fit-all shape for purpose which were always dubious at best historically, more often than not just racist. There is no reasons for the Greek Gods to look like WASP when they probably should look South-Eastern European / Near-Eastern.

Also, if I remember right what I read a few years ago, while Egypt was certainly a melting pot, genetic evidence shows that the african genotypes are more numerous today than they were in ancient times, mean that in Antiquity, they were closer to the rest of North Africa and the Middle East in term of population. Also, let's not oversell the number of conquerors who settled there over the thousands of years of the Egyptian's Kingdoms. If they are anything like the Great Migration in Western Europe, they were probably mostly small (relatively speaking) foreing forces settling and forming a rule classe distinct from the mass of the peoples.

Also, at that time, it was a lot easier to do that without risking a revolt since polytheism allows far more flexibility in accepting new gods. Hence why when the Romans conquered the Gauls, they easily turned the gaulish gods into aspects of their own divinities.
    Last edited by Korath; 07-18-2021 at 12:12 AM.