Page 70 of 126 FirstFirst ... 206066676869707172737480120 ... LastLast
Results 1,036 to 1,050 of 1885

Quote Originally Posted by Sebastianne View Post
    You know, I was never fully convinced that Hermes participated in the birth of Diana, I suppose in some way to give her the power to fly, but I wish they were all goddesses.
    On the other hand, although Hermes was an important secondary in George Perez's run, he is a character that I tended to hate, he was a very very intense guy.
    I liked Hermes as a supporting character, though I would agree I would have preferred it if Diana was an all-female creation.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    I'm not sure it is even Hippolyta's child, I suspect she's in a city like Sparta or something and this is a child that they've deemed unfit for whatever reason. So she's charged with getting rid of it.

Judging by Nicola Scott's reactions to the sequence, I don't think that baby's gonna make it lol.
    That panel and some other pages shared have me think Hippolyta is a midwife at the start of the story.

There is another pages of Hippoltya meeting a baby

Kelly Sue DeConnick and Phil Jimenez have never been coy about how this is a progressive, radical, inclusive feminist retelling of the history of the Amazons, from the point of view of Amazons/women. So it's kind of weird that some people are upset/disappointed/angry/pissed at the fact that Aphrodite is a fat Black woman, Ares represents toxic masculinity, and Zeus the the villain of the story.

This idea that anyone who touches on the Greek myths, or any myths for that matter, have to adhere to the classical European interpretations of such myths is a strange ask. Especially when we have decades of white people playing, for example, Egyptian gods and most people were okay with that.

It always seems that when the dominant culture erases marginalized folks, we're fine with it. But the moment marginalized people are represented in spaces and as figures we imagine as white, then it's a problem.

"I wonder why that is," said no one with a lick of sense.
    Author of the Instant New York Times bestselling novel, The Prophets, from G.P. Putnman's Sons.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by sonofbaldwin View Post
    kelly sue deconnick and phil jimenez have never been coy about how this is a progressive, radical, inclusive feminist retelling of the history of the amazons, from the point of view of amazons/women. So it's kind of weird that some people are upset/disappointed/angry/pissed at the fact that aphrodite is a fat black woman, ares represents toxic masculinity, and zeus the the villain of the story.

This idea that anyone who touches on the greek myths, or any myths for that matter, have to adhere to the classical european interpretations of such myths is a strange ask. Especially when we have decades of white people playing, for example, egyptian gods and most people were okay with that.

It always seems that when the dominant culture erases marginalized folks, we're fine with it. But the moment marginalized people are represented in spaces and as figures we imagine as white, then it's a problem.

"i wonder why that is," said no one with a lick of sense.
    all of this!!

Wait, who is complaining about Aphrodite being a "fat black woman", and Ares representing toxic masculinity?

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    Wait, who is complaining about Aphrodite being a "fat black woman", and Ares representing toxic masculinity?
    Mostly just the people who this book should be aiming to piss off.

Everyone can celebrate it though!

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    Mostly just the people who this book should be aiming to piss off.

Everyone can celebrate it though!
    I haven't seen any complaints online. Are we sure that there has been a backlash? Or are you just assuming?

EDIT: nevermind
    Last edited by SiegePerilous02; 11-10-2021 at 10:14 PM. Reason: post is more inflammatory than it needs to be

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    I haven't seen any complaints online. Are we sure that there has been a backlash? Or are you just assuming?
    I'm surprised you haven't as we've already had a few in this very thread.

Both DeConnick and Jimenez did an interview with World Balloon on Historia. Some write-ups for anyone interested.

-Aside from something Wonder Woman-centric, the other characters DeConnick considered doing a BL book for when she was approached was a Lois Lane book or...Nocturna.
    -Like what's been brought up earlier, Jimenez turned down this project originally and reconsidered when DeConnick reached out to him personally.
    -Jimenez's art style actually changed some of the directions the script was originally going for.
    -Gene Ha and Nicola Scott will generally do their own versions of how the Gods look. .
    -If the project gets approved for the full nine issues, Jimenez would want to come back for the last one. He doesn't expect he'll do much Big Two work after this aside from that since he's been preparing creator-owned stuff.
    -The first page is presented as if it were an in-universe Amazon text (tabula rasa specifically) taught to a young Amazon (probably Diana). In each issue this image when then be expanded upon in the first page of each new issue.
    -The first five Goddesses will be introduced on one double-page spread. Hera gets her own double page spread.
    -Nubia will be in it but "not the one we know", I'm assuming this mean's she's not Diana's twin. Her role also won't be that big in the first issue and will look a lot different from how she usually looks.
    -Aside from some Easter eggs, the story only follows the basic gist of what we know about Amazon history and is otherwise a complete reinterpretation. Since KSD has some "vehement disagreements" with Marston and Jimenez wants to try and break away from the Perez designs. So don't go in expecting Marston or Perez.
    -Jimenez wouldn't mind doing a book that's an annotated version of concept sketches and the discussions he had with KSD on the project.
    -Gene Ha has already begun sending in pages for issue 2.
    -Sounds like there is a big twist in the second issue.
    -The script for issue #3 is about half-written.
    Last edited by Gaius; 11-10-2021 at 07:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Both DeConnick and Jimenez did an interview with World Balloon on Historia. Some write-ups for anyone interested.

-Aside from something Wonder Woman-centric, the other characters DeConnick considered doing a BL book for when she was approached was a Lois Lane book or...Nocturna.
    -Like what's been brought up earlier, Jimenez turned down this project originally and reconsidered when DeConnick reached out to him personally.
    -Jimenez's art style actually changed some of the directions the script was originally going for.
    -Gene Ha and Nicola Scott will generally do their own versions of how the Gods look. .
    -If the project gets approved for the full nine issues, Jimenez would want to come back for the last one. He doesn't expect he'll do much Big Two work after this aside from that since he's been preparing creator-owned stuff.
    -The first page is presented as if it were an in-universe Amazon text (tabula rasa specifically) taught to a young Amazon (probably Diana). In each issue this image when then be expanded upon in the first page of each new issue.
    -The first five Goddesses will be introduced on one double-page spread. Hera gets her own double page spread.
    -Nubia will be in it but "not the one we know", I'm assuming this mean's she's not Diana's twin. Her role also won't be that big in the first issue and will look a lot different from how she usually looks.
    -Aside from some Easter eggs, the story only follows the basic gist of what we know about Amazon history and is otherwise a complete reinterpretation. Since KSD has some "vehement disagreements" with Marston and Jimenez wants to try and break away from the Perez designs. So don't go in expecting Marston or Perez.
    -Jimenez wouldn't mind doing a book that's an annotated version of concept sketches and the discussions he had with KSD on the project.
    -Gene Ha has already begun sending in pages for issue 2.
    -Sounds like there is a big twist in the second issue.
    -The script for issue #3 is about half-written.
    Well, if I can mix my super-hero metaphors, this makes my Spidey-sense tingle with trepidation. I know they’ve said Zeus won’t be Diana’s father. Just don’t give me some other twist on the origin that pisses me off.
    “You see…the rest of them are soldiers. But [Wonder Woman] is an artist.”

I only support the made of clay origin.

Quote Originally Posted by Largo161 View Post
    Well, if I can mix my super-hero metaphors, this makes my Spidey-sense tingle with trepidation. I know they’ve said Zeus won’t be Diana’s father. Just don’t give me some other twist on the origin that pisses me off.
    I didn't go into detail but it's more about stuff like gender essentialism and Marston's ideas of women being more innately submissive/superior even if it was well-intentioned ideas on his part.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    I didn't go into detail but it's more about stuff like gender essentialism and Marston's ideas of women being more innately submissive/superior even if it was well-intentioned ideas on his part.
    Okay…okay…I’ll calm down. LOL
    “You see…the rest of them are soldiers. But [Wonder Woman] is an artist.”

I only support the made of clay origin.

EDIT: nevermind

Quote Originally Posted by Largo161 View Post
    Okay…okay…I’ll calm down. LOL
    Trust me, I’m right there with you lol.

He said in a previous interview there is a big development/twist in issue one that he expects will take people back since it took him back but we’re still pretty far off from when Diana would show up so we’ll see.
    Last edited by Gaius; 11-10-2021 at 10:34 PM.