Page 17 of 126 FirstFirst ... 71314151617181920212767117 ... LastLast

It does disappoint me that Phil's not on the entire book. I hope the other artists at least come close to his brilliance, but I find it hard to see that happening.

I will say, 9 "issues" seems like quite a lot for this. Part of me wishes some of that time and effort could be spent on a Diana story rather than the Amazons, as fans really need a critical darling so they can shaddap about what her quintessential story is.

Incredible Member

If these 9 issues more clearly define the Amazons and create a history that is rich, vibrant, and not static, I'm all for it. While I loved Perez's Themyscira, it always felt as if the island had been static before Diana came, and few other writer's have indicated otherwise, except for maybe Simone, I think.

I hope DeConnick & the rotating roster of artists create an equally good (or better!) series for world of the Amazons as The Atlantis Chronicles was for the world of Atlanteans.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nyssane View Post
    It does disappoint me that Phil's not on the entire book. I hope the other artists at least come close to his brilliance, but I find it hard to see that happening.

I will say, 9 "issues" seems like quite a lot for this. Part of me wishes some of that time and effort could be spent on a Diana story rather than the Amazons, as fans really need a critical darling so they can shaddap about what her quintessential story is.
    Well we know that the story will end with Steve's arrival, so I imagine we'll see Diana's birth and at least some of her childhood. It'd be neat to see some other Amazon kids like Mala, and maybe even a fun take on the Mr. Genie and Mer-Boy stuff. Though I think the former is far more likely than the latter.

Quote Originally Posted by Nyssane View Post

Hmm, yes would be nice if there could stop being discussions on projects like this being Wonder Woman's DKR or All-Star.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Year One and Godwatch may be among the closest we could get to an All-Star (screw TDKR, nobody needs that lol), but being tied to a current day story that is playing continuity fix-up/rebooting undermines them.

I'm hoping Historia will make a nice companion piece to Year One. I wonder if Steve's crash will be ambiguous (like the make of the plane) so it can take place in possibly either the modern day or during WWII.

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    Year One and Godwatch may be among the closest we could get to an All-Star (screw TDKR, nobody needs that lol), but being tied to a current day story that is playing continuity fix-up/rebooting undermines them.
    I'd say, for me, both of Rucka's runs are the "defining" Diana stories that I've read. I think it's very true that neither of them have quite hit the level of "transcend the Wonder Woman fanbase to be nearly universally acclaimed" in the way that Batman Year One/DKR or All Star Superman have, or even the way Rucka's Batwoman arcs did.

I do appreciate that Wonder Woman: Dead Earth is trying to be her DKR, in a very different way from DKR, but I don't think it'll quite hit that level. But I very much appreciate the effort.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post

I'm hoping Historia will make a nice companion piece to Year One. I wonder if Steve's crash will be ambiguous (like the make of the plane) so it can take place in possibly either the modern day or during WWII.
    Yeah, if it's good I hope it can function similarly to Batman: Year One used to where it can function as an in-continuity history but also can be read completely divorced and unconcerned with the larger DC universe.

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Yeah, if it's good I hope it can function similarly to Batman: Year One used to where it can function as an in-continuity history but also can be read completely divorced and unconcerned with the larger DC universe.
    I somehow doubt that something with 9 different artist and is this length will become Batman Year One level of recognized. It sounds like it's going to be really inaccessible for a lot of reasons. I'm still excited for it, but I think they've made a lot of mistakes on this project that don't make me confident that we're going to get the genre-transcendent, widely recognized piece I wish were were getting.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

From last month but a page with some coloring, looks likes a scene between Athena and Hera.

wwhist.jpg

Extraordinary Member

Rucka was on the Word Balloon podcast and confirmed that Diana's Daughter is indefinitely shelved, said he just couldn't get the story to work. He said it's possible that he'll figure it out one day and then circle back to DC to see if they still want to do it but as of now it's not happening.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Hypo View Post
    Rucka was on the Word Balloon podcast and confirmed that Diana's Daughter is indefinitely shelved, said he just couldn't get the story to work. He said it's possible that he'll figure it out one day and then circle back to DC to see if they still want to do it but as of now it's not happening.
    Well, this is certainly disappointing news. I was pumped for this book. Diana is the only member of the Trinity who has not yet been given a canon-compliant, at least in theory, child. Oh well, maybe someday....
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

I don't really get how someone can abandon a project like this. I feel bad for the artist.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    Well, this is certainly disappointing news. I was pumped for this book. Diana is the only member of the Trinity who has not yet been given a canon-compliant, at least in theory, child. Oh well, maybe someday....
    Well there was Fury

Well, that sucks.

Eh, I was interested in this because it would have been standalone but I'd be against currently giving Diana a child in the main continuity in the vein of Jon/Damian as it'd likely just turn into another Donna/Cassie or Jason situation.

Figured as much unfortunately. Sucks because I would’ve loved to see what an “ending story” for Diana by Rucka would’ve looked like. We still don’t have that story for her like Batman and Superman do.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinsir View Post
    I don't really get how someone can abandon a project like this. I feel bad for the artist.
    Never even had an artist announced. I’m guessing he pitched the idea but couldn’t figure out a way to make the story work. Oh well.