Page 120 of 126 FirstFirst ... 2070110116117118119120121122123124 ... LastLast
Results 1,786 to 1,800 of 1885
    Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

Taking a brief side journey here...if DC had been smart (HAHAHA, yes, I know, good joke) but IF they had been, when they were looking at the possibility of Diana having a twin...it really should have been Nubia. That would have been a much better story to be told and more well received as well most likely.

Last edited by AmiMizuno; 12-26-2022 at 01:07 PM.

Great, as it should. It benefits Diana to have a world that has a history long before her that she can inspire the future

Incredible.

Last edited by Gaius; 12-27-2022 at 08:40 AM.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

This was definitely the best chapter writing wise, and art wise is tied in its own way with the first.

spoilers:
    - lol the Amazons did a job on Hercules, and Hera's snark in the aftermath of his death was delightful.

-glad to see some of the male Gods aren't one note. Ares's scene with Hera was sweet and nuanced, and Dionysus was a fun unexpected ally. Hermes continues to just flutter in the background as a neutral party.

- were the Amazons Hippolyta sent away zapped to the island with the rest? If not, they may lead to the creation of the Bana

- I can't tell if some of the Amazons who died in battle were resurrected save Tarpeia. If that's Catia at the end, looks like they were?

-the island being a prison that they will potentially turn into their own paradise despite their jailors is an interesting twist.

- it needs not be said, but those last few pages are beautiful
    end of spoilers

I only had a chance to speed read it for now but it was AMAZING.

spoilers:
    I'll post more thoughts later but I do want to say... this was probably the best Ares has ever been. I hate "straightforward bruiser villain" Ares and his scene with Hera really stuck out to me.
    end of spoilers

This was the best chapter yet, on all levels. It was actually my favorite art-wise as well, which I didn't think was possible after Phil's work on book 1 - Nicola hit the perfect balance between Phil's scale and otherworldliness and Gene's expressiveness and humanity and it was just a knockout. And I hope Annette Kwok gets some recognition because the coloring was some of the best I've ever seen.

All of it was just stunning, but that last scene....oh man. Had to get the tissues out. It was absolutely perfect, so beautifully bittersweet.

Still putting my thoughts together and I want to give it at least one more read (gonna do all 3 back to back), but here are my spoilery first impressions:

spoilers:

- I know people are going to have mixed feelings about Heracles being a boss battle rather than the Big Bad, and I'd feel the same way if I hadn't read it first, but it wound up being my favorite take on it. Still an incredibly powerful story that opens up all kinds of avenues to explore the Amazons' trauma, but it nixes the victim blamey/counter-revolutionary element of the Perez origin. And that spread with all of the Amazons killing him was just unreal.

- I loved everything with Dionysus. Really felt straight out of Greek myth. In general I really liked how the male gods were handled this time around.

- Hippolyta is such an amazing flawed heroine. It's easy to assume she made the right decision because we know everything works out, but she didn't decisively make the just, heroic choices throughout. You understand why she did what she did, but it felt like self-preservation at the expense of the Amazons' core values. I'll be so disappointed if it stops here because there are so many consequences to explore.

- Themyscira being in sunlight at all times, with only one night of darkness a month...damn. That's a really depressing addition to the lore.

- I love this origin for Diana's name sooooo much. My favorite ever explanation for it and it isn't even close.

- The ending recontextualizes Diana's origin story in a way that really hit me. We've never really seen it from Hippolyta's perspective before and knowing her eventual heartbreak is a gut punch. So much more visceral.

My only small complaint is that I wish they hadn't rushed through Tarpeia confessing that she'd killed the boy in the temple. They had a ton of ground to cover in one issue so I totally get why they left it out, and it may be something Kelly Sue plans to explore in the next arc (she and Hippolyta are each other's closest allies and the other Amazons have good reasons to be furious with both of them), but it was a pretty huge reveal and they didn't spend much time dealing with it.

end of spoilers

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    spoilers:
    - were the Amazons Hippolyta sent away zapped to the island with the rest? If not, they may lead to the creation of the Bana
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    I had the exact same thought - they're not in the last scene on the island (at least not on camera). Definitely sets up a potential Amazon diaspora.
    end of spoilers

So a certain someone on that certain spread totally got castrated by Philippus, didn't he?

So a certain someone on that certain spread totally got castrated by Philippus, didn't he?
    One of the Hestia Amazons (Io I think) used the horns on her helmet to impale his chest. Jesus, Joseph, and Marry, lol.

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

Wow....just finished it and that was amazing.

The art was simply mind blowing, easily Nicolas best work. So many beautiful and otherwordly images that she better win some major awards for this.

Kelly's given us 3 books that kept one upping each other in so many ways. The slight changes she gave to the Amazons history was great. I am someone who thinks if you're going to change whats been established, it better be just as good if not better and she definitely ensured her history of the Amazons stood right next to Perezs.

Paradise being their own living hell to a degree even absent of Dooms Doorway (hope that's still around) was a great touch to the mythos.

Heracles being so full of himself to think he could easily take on the Amazons was hilarious.

Hippolyta "betraying" her sisters was also a nice touch and gives plenty of story going forward. I can only imagine some of their thoughts on Diana once she is revealed to them.

I definitely need the next 6 books to see how all this plays out.

Wb will be stupid enough to not adapt this to a movie or hbo series and that makes me sad (sure....relieved if it fell to the wrong team but with the right one...could be wow)

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
    Wow....just finished it and that was amazing.

The art was simply mind blowing, easily Nicolas best work. So many beautiful and otherwordly images that she better win some major awards for this.

Kelly's given us 3 books that kept one upping each other in so many ways. The slight changes she gave to the Amazons history was great. I am someone who thinks if you're going to change whats been established, it better be just as good if not better and she definitely ensured her history of the Amazons stood right next to Perezs.

Paradise being their own living hell to a degree even absent of Dooms Doorway (hope that's still around) was a great touch to the mythos.

Heracles being so full of himself to think he could easily take on the Amazons was hilarious.

Hippolyta "betraying" her sisters was also a nice touch and gives plenty of story going forward. I can only imagine some of their thoughts on Diana once she is revealed to them.

I definitely need the next 6 books to see how all this plays out.

Wb will be stupid enough to not adapt this to a movie or hbo series and that makes me sad (sure....relieved if it fell to the wrong team but with the right one...could be wow)
    The way they are going it won’t get adapted unless they can turn it into a reality show.

The status of how the island functions is going to make Diana's later departure as Wonder Woman interesting. Who grants her the ability to leave?

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    One of the Hestia Amazons (Io I think) used the horns on her helmet to impale his chest. Jesus, Joseph, and Marry, lol.
    ecc1-c01a-4c3e-8128-e7522e5403bb.jpg

Really liked this scene. Kind of ties back to the small moment they had in the first book.

The status of how the island functions is going to make Diana's later departure as Wonder Woman interesting. Who grants her the ability to leave?
    Maybe since she's not part of the Amazons that were spared/revived per Hippolyta's original deal, the rules don't apply to her?